Saturday, July 18

Ana Franco - Down the Wormhole

In a city there is a tiny lane that seperates two orphanages - one for boys and one for girls. Inside live two very special groups of teenagers. These teenagers carry a secret and leave it tucked safely away in their mysterious lives.

Then one day, a girl named Kitty arrives. No last name, just Kitty.

Before Kitty has time to be astonished by the teenagers' real identitites, she is whisked into a magical realm that slowly unfolds her own. She must come to terms with her true place in the world while she can, because time is ticking and there are secrets in the wormhole.

Travel with Kitty and her new friends Down The Wormhole into a mysterious world of magic, mythology, and mayhem.


I'd like to thank the author for providing me with a digital copy for an honest review.

When I said yes to the author's request, I have to admit, my expectations were quite high. I was excitedly waiting for an action-packed, edge of your seat novel with likeable characters and a decent Alice in Wonderland resemblance, since it was advertised as a retelling. After starting the novel I slowly started to lower my expectations, but there were no low enough expectations that could have spared me from the disappointment Down the Wormhole was.

First thing I would like to say is that there is absolutely no Alice in Wonderland retelling feeling to the novel - so do not search for it. I tried and it just made me feel even more betrayed. Secondly, this is more of a romance, (a not even half decent one but more on that later) than the mythological fantasy the blurb suggests. This could have been alright - I mean you know how much I love The Selection, even though it's not high on the dystopia level - but was it? No. 

The romance was acceptable and plainly boring at its best, and was intolerable and annoying at its worst. There was zero chemistry between Thomas and Kitty. Actually their interactions were the worst thing in the novel by far. The author tried to create a banter between them, but it did not work. At all. 


"Andrew, will tell this girl that I'm dead already?"
"No, Andrew, tell this baby boy that this woman here is sick of his voice."
"No! If that's the case, tell her that I died because of her voice!"
"Oh, yeah? What a gentleman of you!"

I was debating between crying and laughing while reading this. I mean, does this sound sassy to you? To me it sounds like an argument between two children who heard some clever sentences on the television and are trying to recreate it. This takes me to the characters who, despite what you might think, are all above 17. 

There are characters who sound immature, and then, there's the cast of Down the Wormhole. Kitty has absolutely no common sense, thus she has the strangest reaction to everything. She acts illogical and without thinking things through. Frankly, some of her reactions were ones of a madwoman and she was surprised because no one took her seriously... Jeez, I don't understand why! Don't get me wrong, the others weren't much better either. Thomas is the king of mixed signals. He loves Kitty (instalove, of course) but acts like a complete asshole with her and constantly tells her what she should do. Andrew on the other hand, seemed normal for a while but by the end he was the craziest of them all. He realized that Kitty is actually his long-lost sister but instead of staying with her, he left because he couldn't bear to see her with Thomas, the guy who's been his friend for a long time and who was the father of Kitty's unborn child. I could tell you other illogical decisions of the characters but it doesn't get worse than this. 


The whole novel is pretty simple. There are the bad guys (Eris and Set) whose chapters are all about either Eris making fun of Set or them inventing an "evil plan" that is destined to fail. Then they capture some of the characters, only to let them escape or be freed later on. If I want to simplify Down the Wormhole, I'd say it consists of three types of scenes: 
  • Eris and Set capturing the characters, just so a few pages later they escape
  • the main characters trying to work out a plan to defeat Eris and Set
  • the worst kind of relationship drama 
Would I recommend this novel to my friends? No. Do I think it might work for someone? Yes, it's light and if you don't think at all hard about it while reading you might actually enjoy it. I'm totally bulshitting you. 

The story idea: 2/5
The realization of the story: 1/5
The characters:1/5
The cover: 1/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5


6 comments:

  1. I honestly could not continue reading this book. Reading all the spoilers about it, I'm actually glad I didn't finish it! Thomas and Kitty had NO chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the common sense to give up on this book but OF COURSE I didn't put it down. Ugh, it was horrible in every sense.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, soooo passing this one! I cannot see myself enjoying this one AT ALL, ugh.

    Thanks for the helpful review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I was intrigued when I saw the cover in the bloglovin post because I actually thought this was gonna be about Vikings (the ship and everything) but.............. nope LOL. Sorry this annoyed the hell out of you :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Vikings here :( I was just wondering why the hell is a ship on the cover... I honestly don't know, but maybe I missed that part of the novel(?)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)