Tuesday, June 16

Top Ten Books On My TBR For Summer 2015

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Hey lovelies. Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is the Top Ten Books On My TBR For Summer 2015. If you know me even a tiny bit you might know that I'm a mood reader. It's rare when I can finish a list of books in a given time period, even if we're talking about the whole summer. Anyways, I'm still going to list ten books. Ones that I'm pretty sure I'll actually get around reading. Root for me, please. 


For Princess Mia, the past five years since college graduation have been a whirlwind of activity, what with living in New York City, running her new teen community center, being madly in love, and attending royal engagements. And speaking of engagements. Mia's gorgeous longtime boyfriend Michael managed to clear both their schedules just long enough for an exotic (and very private) Caribbean island interlude where he popped the question! Of course Mia didn't need to consult her diary to know that her answer was a royal oui.

But now Mia has a scandal of majestic proportions to contend with: Her grandmother's leaked "fake" wedding plans to the press that could cause even normally calm Michael to become a runaway groom. Worse, a scheming politico is trying to force Mia's father from the throne, all because of a royal secret that could leave Genovia without a monarch. Can Mia prove to everyone— =especially herself—that she's not only ready to wed, but ready to rule as well?
A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide. After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man. 

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.
A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

From multi-award-winning Patrick Ness comes one of the most provocative and moving novels of our time.
 
When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she has to think fast. After all, she'd been telling her friends about him for months now. This was supposed to be the night she proved he existed. So when she sees a cute guy waiting to pick up his sister, she enlists his help. The task is simple: be her fill-in boyfriend—two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. After that, she can win back the real Bradley.

The problem is that days after prom, it's not the real Bradley she's thinking about, but the stand-in. The one whose name she doesn't even know. But tracking him down doesn't mean they're done faking a relationship. Gia owes him a favor and his sister intends to see that he collects: his ex-girlfriend's graduation party—three hours, zero commitment, a few white lies.

Just when Gia begins to wonder if she could turn her fake boyfriend into a real one, Bradley comes waltzing back into her life, exposing her lie, and threatening to destroy her friendships and her new-found relationship.

Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.
 
Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.
 
It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.

The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.

But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?
In a stunning literary debut, two boys on opposite ends of the world begin an unlikely friendship that will change their lives forever.

Ollie and Moritz are best friends, but they can never meet. Ollie is allergic to electricity. Contact with it causes debilitating seizures. Moritz’s weak heart is kept pumping by an electronic pacemaker. If they ever did meet, Ollie would seize. But Moritz would die without his pacemaker. Both hermits from society, the boys develop a fierce bond through letters that become a lifeline during dark times—as Ollie loses his only friend, Liz, to the normalcy of high school and Moritz deals with a bully set on destroying him.

A story of impossible friendship and hope under strange circumstances, this debut is powerful, dark and humorous in equal measure. These extraordinary voices bring readers into the hearts and minds of two special boys who, like many teens, are just waiting for their moment to shine.

When Lexi Shaw seduced Oakfield High's resident bad boy Tyler Flynn at the beginning of senior year, he seemed perfectly okay with her rules:
1. Avoid her at school.
2. Keep his mouth shut about what they do together.3. Never tease her about her friend (and unrequited crush) Ben.
Because with his integrity and values and golden boy looks, Ben can never find out about what she’s been doing behind closed doors with Tyler. Or that her mom’s too busy drinking and chasing losers to pay the bills. Or that Lexi’s dad hasn’t been a part of her life for the last thirteen years. But with Tyler suddenly breaking the rules, Ben asking her out, and her dad back in the picture, how long will she be able to go on faking perfect?







Have you read any of these books? What did you think? I'd love to see your TTT posts so link them in in the comment section. 

50 comments:

  1. Everyone keeps talking about A Royal Wedding and it makes me want to read the Princess Diaries. Happy reading!

    https://ireadboooks.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/top-ten-books-on-my-tbr-for-summer-2015/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should read TPD! It's one of the cutest, funniest chick lit series for teens.

      Delete
  2. Yes I plan to read More Than This and The Fill-in Boyfriend too! They've both been on my tbr for so so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fill-In Boyfriend sounds so freaking cute and one of my friends really loved More Than This so I have huge hopes. :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I'm keen to give The Scorpio Races a go. Plus it's been awhile since I've picked up any Meg Cabot books so maybe I should pick up A Royal Wedding too. Awesome list! :) Hope you have a productive summer reading!

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie's an awesome writer, I'm sure she won't disappoint. I've already started The Royal Wedding and it's pretty awesome! Love Meg Cabot so much. :)

      Delete
  4. Some great choices on this list! I've been meaning to read The Diviners for a while now and I've just started Faking Perfect. It's really good so far :)

    Happy Reading
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you're liking Faking Perfect so far cuz most reviews I've read weren't all that positive.

      Delete
  5. I'm reading 'Royal Wedding' at the moment, and it is brilliant! The Scorpio Races is one of my favourite books of all time, I really hope you enjoy it! I just finished The Accident Season and it was fantastic too. The same magical sliding sensation that you get where you're not quite sure what's real and what is magic when reading Stiefvaters books. I really hope you enjoy them!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started it as well and it really is awesome! Now you made me super excited for The Accident Season, which is great because I should be reading pretty freaking it soon for the publication.

      Delete
  6. I've been meaning to read the Cuckoo's Calling. It looks so interesting! The Geography of You and Me was a really light and fluffy romance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard many good things about it so I hope both of us will love it! Can't wait to read both of these books. :)

      Delete
  7. Great list!

    I've never read any of the Princess Diaries books but I did enjoy the movie. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It just hit me that the Royal Wedding cover reminds me of the Finding Audrey cover :D But Mia's story has been a part of my life since the 6th grade and now I'm in college ahhh the nostalgia! Because You'll Never Meet Me sounds so unique thoughh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminds me as well and I love both covers a lot. It's such a strange feeling reading Mia's words now, that both of us (her and me) are older. I can't wait to finally get around reading BYNMM.

      Delete
  9. I've never read any Patrick Ness but this one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read A Monster Calls, but I can totally recommend that to you. :)

      Delete
  10. The Royal Wedding was AMAZING! I reviewed it! It was so interesting seeing Mia's life almost a decade later! Happy Reading :D
    Here's my TTT post for the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started it but I'm loving it already! Glad you liked it as well!. :)))
      Happy reading. :))

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh Veronika you will LOVE The Cuckoo's Calling it's so brilliant and witty and just ugh its awesome okay?! I can't wait to read The Royal Wedding either- love the Princess Diaries :D Hope you get to read some of these :-) Here's my TTT if you would like to check it out :-) Have a great day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! Most people I've talked to loved it so I have my hopes up! I've just started the Royal Wedding and it's the awesomest! I love Meg Cabot soo much for giving us adult Mia!

      Delete
  12. I want to read so many of these as well! The Royal Wedding because I love Princess Diaries, More than This by Patrick Ness I've heard so many good things about, and The Diviners has been on my TBR for forever!! I personally liked The Geography of You and Me a lot, it is my favorite Jennifer E. Smith book, and The Fill-In Boyfriend is adorable, love Kasie West. I hope you enjoy these, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started The Royal Wedding and it's even more awesome than I expected! I love love love Meg Cabot for writing this novel!! Libba Bray has some awesome books so I have my hopes up for The Diviners. Yay, I'm so glad finally someone is telling me sg positive about The Geography of You and Me, so far most people I talked to weren't too fond of it.

      Delete
  13. Great list! I've been wanting to start the Princess Diaries books by Meg Cabot but I've heard that it's different from the movies and I really liked the movies haha. i've also been wanting to read Scorpio Races. I've only ever read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and I liked those books. Great list!! Because You'll Never Meet Me sounds so interesting!

    Anjie @ Love thy Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I saw the movies first... but I'm not sure haha. Anyway, I like to separate them totally because besides the characters and the bigger events in the first movie nothing's the same. The second movie is a completely different story but again I guess you already know this. Read The Raven Cycle by her! That's one of my fav series ever. :)

      Delete
  14. I have owned More Than This for so long-- I need to get to that one soon! I really enjoyed The Diviners, and I will probably be rereading it this summer before book two is released! Hope you enjoy!
    Great List!
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it "only" for a year but I was never in the mood to pick it up. Glad I hear all awesome things about The Diviners today. :) Thanks!!

      Delete
  15. Oh! I really want to read The Accident Season & The Fill In Boyfriend as well! They sound awesome. :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll enjoy them! Thank you! <33

      Delete
  16. I've read MORE THAN THIS. It's odd, but really intriguing. I like Ness' Chaos Walking series better, though. I really want to read BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER MEET ME, THE DIVINERS, and THE SCORPIO RACES. THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND looks like a cute summer read.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give his Chaos Walking series a chance, though I'm not that intrigued by it. Hope you'll enjoy all of these novels! :)

      Delete
  17. I really want to read The Fill-In Boyfriend!! It looks adorable and lovely and amazing just like all of West's books. I haven't read The Princess Diaries but I want to read it so bad! Enjoy your books :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should read The Princess Diaries! Now even more than ever because The Royal Wedding is awesome! I mean, how many times do you get the chance to read a about one of your fav YA characters as a grown up? Thanks. :)

      Delete
  18. I loved The Fill-In Boyfriend! It was such a wonderful read! I really want to read The Accident Season, it sounds VERY interesting. I desperately need to make time for The Diviners, too, since I got an ARC of Lair of Dreams. Great list! I hope you enjoy them all!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. I'll be on the look out for your review of The Diviners then. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  19. The Fill-In Boyfriend was so cute and another great book by Kasie West. I recently just read and reviewed it and really loved it. I hope you get to pick it up soon and I hope you enjoy it!
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad everyone seems to love it. :)

      Delete
  20. Okay, I've not actually read any of these. I keep thinking about reading The Princess Diaries - especially now that I'm seeing them everywhere - but there are so many of them. And knowing me and the way I read those type of books, I'll start reading them and read little else until I catch up on the series. (Which is crazy unrealistic considering all the other books I want to read.) I'm also interested in reading something by Maggie Stiefvater. Leaning towards The Scorpio Races so I'd love to know what you think of it once you read it. Hope you get to read all these books and that you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Princess Diaries are pretty easy reads so you can read them surprisingly fast. Also, they're kind of short so I'd say they take up as much time (or less) as a 6 book long fantasy series. But Amy, they're soo much fun! Totally worth your time. My favorite book that I've read by Maggie so far is definitely The Raven Boys, and the sequels of course. I'll definitely tell you what I thought of The Scorpio Races when I read it, though. :)

      Delete
  21. Great list! I've had a copy of More Than This on my shelves for the longest time but I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. You've reminded me that I really want to! I've been looking forward to Because You'll Never Meet Me. Happy reading!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've had More Than This for a long time as well, but unlike you I see it all the time and I feel so guilty haha. Happy reading. :)

      Delete
  22. THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND IS ADORABLE!!! I really enjoyed Faking Perfect too, but I didn't looooove it, so I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    Also I totally need to read The Scorpio Races asap. I love the Raven Cycle.

    I HOPE YOU GET TO READ ALL OF THESE THIS SUMMER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit afraid of Faking Perfect because I didn't hear many positives things about it so I'm glad you at least enjoyed it. :) I can't wait for the fourth instalment of the Raven Cycle! *-*

      Delete
  23. Because You'll Never Meet Me intrigues me so much. What an awesome concept. I'm sure to have so many emotions when I get my hands on that book. I trust Patrick Ness's writing after only reading one of his book, The Monster Calls, so you can't go wrong with him. The fill-In Boyfriend, although seemingly very fluffy, looks like it will be a delight to read.
    Hope you have a wonderful time reading all of these books this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so it's awesome cuz I'm starting it soon. Same goes for me about Patrick Ness, only read one book by him but I consider myself a fan. It sure seems like a cute summer read.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  24. I keep seeing a Royal Wedding everywhere but I haven't read it yet for myself - The Fill in Boyfriend was an amazing book!! One of the best contemporary reads this year. Hope you enjoy these reads <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Royal Wedding... I have no words! It was so SO good, you should totally pick it up. I heard many awesome things about The Fill-in Boyfriend so I can't wait. :)

      Delete
  25. I recently read The Scorpio Races and I loved it - once I got into it, I couldn't drag my eyes away. I also loved The Diviners, despite it getting a little confusing for me at times. It really creeped me out!
    I have to get to More Than This soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're saying you like The Diviners! The reviews I've read were pretty mixed so I was getting worried. I hope it creeps me out as well! I love those type of books. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)