Tuesday, June 30

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2015

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hello sweeties! Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is: Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2015. This is going to be real hard for me because I could name half the books I've read so far as favorites. I mean, some of my 4-star or even 3-star rated novels could go to my favorite shelf for one reason or another. What was even harder than reducing my list to ten was putting them in order but I'm ready and I hope you'll enjoy this list. :)

Click on the titles for me reviews. :) 


10. All Fall Down
I love unreliable narrators and I don't think there's a more confused character than Grace. You're left there with a narrator who's seemingly sure of the things she knows but at the same time everyone, including herself, doubts her sanity and reliability from to time. Now, decide who you believe. 

I still haven't read anything else by Ally Carter but I have to say, I can't wait to pick up some of her other books. My priority at the moment is to get Heist Society because Amy's review made me eager to read it. 





9. The Darkest Minds
Oh my gosh, guys, this novel was AMAZING. Since finishing The 5th Wave and feeling like I'm the only one who haven't liked it, I felt like I'm over dystopian fiction. But then I picked up The Darkest Minds and OMFG it was the MOST AMAZING thing ever! I loved the characters, the relationship between them, the slow-burn romance is to die for and the plot is so awesome. I want more but I still haven't bought the sequels. *sobs* That cliffhanger, though, killed me. Seriously, how can authors be so cruel? How? 



8. This Shattered World
This is one of my favorite series at the moment, with the third and final novel, being one of my most awaited releases as well. After this, it's no surprise that This Shattered World appears on my list. We learnt many new things about the world from this novel and the plot made me unable to put down the book. The romance was nice enough, though not as amazing as Lilac and Tarver's love story but seriously, who could measure up to those two? The characters, as usual, were unique and went through a lot of development. Two words: READ IT!





7. The Girl on the Train
I'm going to write, before anything else, that The Girl on the Train is not for everyone. It can definitely get very annoying and most of the characters are kind of slap-worthy and many times pathetic. I think that's what makes them human and realistic. I loved this book because it had many surprises along the way and I really liked the various POVs. It's definitely not Gone Girl but it's a great mystery nonetheless. 






I feel really bad for only giving the sixth place to this novel but to me it was one of those type of books that completely swept me off my feet while reading, but as time went by I forgot about the little details that make The Shadow of the Wind so special. 

I think Zafón could write a killer murder mystery because he's the king of giving just enough information to have something to think about while you get your next clue. Seeing everything adding up in the end was one of my favorite things in the novel. Definitely recommended to everyone. 



I'm a huge Holly Black fan since reading her Curse Workers series last year and I'm happy to say that The Darkest Part of the Forest did nothing but hardened my love for her writing. She created such a magical little town with the most unique and realistic characters. Everything rocks in her novels, there's no better way to put it. Even I have to admit that her books are not for everyone but I'd still recommend it to all of you. *laughs*






I was incredibly excited for Cruel Beauty and was the happiest when I finally had the chance to hold it in my hands. Thankfully, it didn't disappoint. The world Rosamund Hodge created was incredible in itself but with the plot and the 100% realistic and relatable characters the book was impossible to put down. The retelling was pretty accurate and everything could be understood, even though everything was new. My only problem was the insta-love but I think it was done right so I loved it as well. 





3. Royal Wedding
When I first heard about Meg Cabot writing a new sequel to two of her bestest series I was ecstatic but I little wary. After finishing Royal Wedding, though, I can surely say that this is something every author should do! As a reader and a total shipper of Mia and Michael it gives me such a satisfaction to see them together after everything they've went through. Do you know that feeling when you haven't seen someone you love for at least a year and then you meet with that person again, and he/she changed so much but at the same is still the same person. And it feels so good to realize that on some levels everything remains the same. If I made this list by which book gave me the most feels I'd put Royal Wedding as #1. 


2. Gone Girl
I read Gone Girl a while back but I still wasn't able to come up with a decent enough review. Whenever I started writing something I felt like it didn't do justice to this awesome, edge-of-your -seat novel. Before Gone Girl I didn't read Adult mystery at all so I was a bit afraid, more so because it's one of the most hyped books and those don't work out for me half the time. But it turned out to be one of my favorite books this year and I'm really excited to read more by Gillian Flynn because she's a mastermind. 




And now, guys, my favorite in 2015 so far is.... DRUMROLL

1. Heather Demetrios Novels *yes, I'm totally cheating with this one*
        

My least favorite is definitely Exquisite Captive, the only novel on my list I gave four stars to. However, it was not at all boring or terrible, actually it was a pretty great read, and I'm hoping the sequel will be even better. 

I can't choose between the other two because I loved them for different reasons, but this is a list so I'm going to be strong and just make the decision already. #2 is... Something Real. I loved everything in this novel, the characters the most because they were so strong and amazing and just lovable. I wanted to give a hug to every single children from Baker's Dozen. There's one thing I wasn't a complete fan of and that is the relationship of Patrick and Chloe (Bonnie). I loved them together but I felt like they moved a bit fast. Anyway, still ship them until I die. 

I'll Meet You There wins this round! I loved this book sooo much! It was so emotional and heartbreaking but thankfully it put back together all the broken pieces of my heart by the end. The only problem I had with it before was how quickly everyone judged everyone. Now, I think the prejudice these people had in them, just made the novel all the more realistic because gosh, I know what it feels like to live in a small town, a village in my case. Recommended to EVERYONE! 

Making this list was so amazing! I loved thinking back to all these novels and just put them in order. I'm unbelievably thankful to all these author because with their lovely books they made my days a lot more colorful (and my physics classes a lot less boring). Share with me your TTTs or just simply sketch a list for me in the comments! 

36 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore Heather Demetrios writing! I think she's fantastic. My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely is one of my favs. :)

      Delete
  2. So many of these books are on my TBR pile. Love that you have such a diverse group of books. My Top Ten Tuesday includes a lot of older titles but I'm using this year to get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll enjoy if you get to them. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh. Love, love, love SHADOW OF THE WIND. a book about books! Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's going to stay on my favorites shelf for a long while, such a unique book.

      Delete
  4. I just finished In the Afterlight this month and wow, now I just want to go back to read the Darkest Mind trilogy from the beginning again. I haven't yet picked up Cruel Beauty but have been seeing it around and hoping to get to it soon. Great list! :)

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've just made me realize that I should have bought the damn sequels instead of ordering a bunch of clothes AGAIN. You totally should give Cruel Beauty a chance! It's seriously the best retelling I've read. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  5. I have yet to read All Fall Down, and I don't know why I haven't yet! Girl On The Train looks very suspenseful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give a chance to both! Hope you'll enjoy them if you pick them up. :)

      Delete
  6. Great picks, Veronika and this is my first time over since your new blog name and design. I love it! Sorry I haven't been around lately. Glad to hear the Something Real is in your top ten! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! I'm soo glad you love the changes! I could say the same, I haven't really participated in any group reads lately. :(

      Delete
  7. Great picks! I really need to read I'll Meet You There -- on so many lists today! Based on your love of Gone Girl and Girl On A Train, I have to recommend Marrow by Tarryn Fisher and Swerve by Vicki Petersson -- both are amazing and same sort of WTF/thriller!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been thinking about picking up Marrow for a while and now I'll definitely move it up my on TBR list. I've just checked out Swerve and it sounds AMAZING! Thanks for the recommendations! :)

      Delete
  8. I actually gave a pass on Exquisite Captive for some reason. And now I can't even remember why. I think I was talked out of it because of all the negative reviews. Hearing you like it (and it does sound like my kind of book) I might give it a go sometime. Cruel Beauty is an awesome book - if I remember rightly, it made both my 'best of' lists last year. So happy to see it here. I so totally need to start the Starbound series. (As you probably know by now.) I'm hoping to get to at least the first one sometime this Summer. Admittedly, unreliable narrators don't usually work real well for me, but the one in All Fall Down sounds interesting. It's probably going to wind up on my list sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly gave a pass on it as well but after I read Heather's other novels, and loving them, I needed to give a chance to Exquisite Captive as well. And I didn't regret it. There is an abusive relationship in it but the author no way supports it, the thing that scares me off a bit is that some people actually support this relationship. I think I'll never understand some people. lol I said it before but I'm saying it again: you have to read These Broken Stars soon! All Fall Down was awesome so again, I can only say, read it!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you've had a great reading year. It's always nice when you've liked most of what you've read.

    I really liked both GONE GIRL and THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, although you're right -- it's hard to like the characters in both of these books. I didn't care much for THE DARKEST MINDS, but I liked THE DARK PART OF THE FOREST well enough. It was unique. SOMETHING REAL was also pretty good. I haven't read anything else by her, but her other books sound really good.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, which is strange bc before looking back to all the books I've read this year, I felt like I hated so many.
      It was harder for me to like the characters in The Girl on the Train, even though they were maybe more normal. Both Rachel and Amy were cheated on, but they reacted so differently, neither reaction was healthy, but I liked Amy's better, even though this might make me the worst kind of person.

      Delete
  10. Oooh, just added loads of these to my TBR! Awesome list. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gone Girl yes!! That ending was so awesome and totally unexpected! I also really liked The Darkest Minds! I can't wait to read the rest of the series (I have no idea why I haven't read them yet because I read TDM a long time ago). Great list!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful to Gone Girl for making me love mysteries as much as I loved them right after Dangerous Girls, before reading so many that disappointed me.

      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  12. We share The Girl on the Train! I enjoyed This Shattered World much more than I expected too. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a common favorite! Me too, I thought it'd be a disappointment bc I really loved These Broken Stars. :)

      Delete
  13. The Shadow of the Wind was such a great reading experience and Fermin Romero de Torres was one of the most hilarious but tragic characters I've ever read about but I know what you mean! I read it a year or 2 ago and a lot of the details of the story escape me right now.

    Pfft, you totally cheated with the #1 haha definitely going to give Heather Demetrios' novels a try now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Fermin! It was so strange reading this book bc while it ended with a happy end I couldn't shake of the sadness that came upon me while reading about Julian and Penelope's love story. This novel broke my heart.

      So what? :P Read one of her contemporaries those are the best ever!

      Delete
  14. I can’t wait for the third book in the Starbound series! Mostly, I just want them all lined up on my shelves because they’re so beautiful lol.

    The Darkest Part of the Forest is the first book I’ve read from Holly Black, and I’d like to get to The Coldest Girl in Coldtown soon! But I’ve heard that her Curse Workers series is incredible too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that completely. The colors of the third book are soo beautiful! My fav cover is still These Broken Stars, though.

      The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was amazing as well but I liked it less than the Curse Workers trilogy and TDPotF. Hope you'll love it. :)

      Delete
  15. I own two Demetrios' books and I need to read them! especially Something Real, I don't know why but I feel like that is a contemporary I could enjoy :)
    And regarding The Girl on the Train I thought the person who decided to compare it with Gone Girl made a mistake. Yes, it probably helped to build up some hype but it created so many expectations. I enjoyed the book nonetheless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I know this I'll keep bugging you until you don't pick them up! I sure hope you'll enjoy Something Real!
      I thought the same thing. I don't even think they're that much alike. The thing I loved in Gone Girl was the twistedness of the characters, in The Girl on the Train, the characters were rather weak and pathetic than crazy. Overall, I think it should not have been compared to Gone Girl for more than one reasons.

      Delete
  16. Heather Demetrios is a literary angel!! I lover her SO MUCH!! I'll Meet You There was definitely a favorite of the year, like whoa... I'm thrilled you enjoyed The Darkest Minds too, that one is definitely a favorites series of all time. Lovely post <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather Demetrios is definitely an auto-buy author of mine, and I don't have a lot of those. Her characters are painfully real, probably in I'll Meet You There the most. How could anyone hate TDM when there's Liam to make everything better? Haha
      Thanks! <3

      Delete
  17. I love your list, I actually forgot I read I'll Meet You There and it was fantastic, it would have made my list if I'd remembered I'd read it this year. I understand your cheating to include Heather Demetrios though. As for the rest, I've not read any of them! I need to up my reading game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) How could you do that? I don't think I'm gonna visit you blog ever again. :P You totally don't! You read so many awesome books that I haven't read. :)

      Delete
  18. Omg there are so many books on your list that I want to read! The darkest minds, These broken stars trilogy, and the shadow of the wind are books that I'll be buying as soon as possible! I Own The Girl on the Train and The Darkest Part of the Forest but I just haven't gotten to them yet. I hope I do pretty soon, there are just so many books to read!

    I read Gone Girl last year and Oh My God it was amazing. I feel like the characters were so well constructed and you just love to hate them. It was such a good book! Did you see the film? I felt like it didn't really make it justice but that's pretty much always the case with book to movie adaptations :)

    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should get them ASAP because they are really really really amazing! About The Girl on the Train. I'd advise you not to go into it as the "new Gone Girl" because it really is not. Same genre, but other than that, it's not really similar.

      Gone Girl characters are the best ever! They were so twisted, yet so very human. You're right, the movie was a letdown considered to the books, there were a few things I particularly didn't like. And I don't think it did justice to the characters. I don't think I'd have been able to love them just based on the movie.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)