Monday, June 15

Ann Aguirre - The Shape of My Heart (2B Trilogy #3)

"You're the only person in the whole world who knows exactly who I am."

Some people wait decades to meet their soul mate. Courtney Kaufman suspects she met hers in high school only to lose him at seventeen. Since then, Courtney's social life has been a series of meaningless encounters, though she's made a few close friends along the way. Especially her roommate Max Cooper, who oozes damaged bad-boy vibes from every pore.

Max knows about feeling lost and trying to move beyond the pain he's been on his own since he was sixteen. Now it's time to find out if he can ever go home again, and Courtney's the only one he trusts to go with him. But the trip to Providence could change everything because the more time he spends with Courtney, the harder it is to reconcile what he wants and what he thinks he deserves.

It started out so simple. One misfit helping another. Now Max will do anything to show Courtney that for every heart that's ever been broken, there's another that can make it complete.





The Shape of My Heart had a lot to live up to given that the previous two books, I Want It That Way and As Long As You Love Me, are two of my favorite New Adult Romance novels. While the final book was a little less amazing than the first two it was very enjoyable and realistic as always. 

The first time Max was introduced to us in I Want It That Way I wasn't sure I was going to like him. He sounded like the usual misunderstood manwhore who justifies all his acts by his hard childhood. Pretty soon I realised how wrong I was, Max is so much more than it meets the eyes. He is a kind-hearted person who genuinely cares about his friends and wants to help them through the hard times. I always felt like he wanted to belong somewhere, like he was dying to build his own little family and boy, I so understand him after reading his book. In The Shape of My Heart Max turned out to be even more of a great guy than I expected. It became obvious just how much he was in the need of someone who knew all about him. I loved him for loads of reasons but my very favorite thing in him is that he didn't try to distance himself from people when most people would have. Instead he made awesome friends who he loved with all his heart. 

"Thank you for feeling that way about me. Until I met you it never occurred to me that I could be sunshine to somebody else, like you are to me." 

Unlike Max, I don't think Courtney had a real chance in I Want It That Way to show us who she was. I knew of many things that happened to her but I wasn't sure what kind of person she was. She always seemed so badass and tough, even when she was telling Nadia about her ex and such so I was super-excited about what Aguirre planned for her. As it turns out Courtney is one of the strongest female romance characters I've ever read about but while being totally undefeatable she still had a more vulnerable side to her that made her oh-so-human.  More female characters should be like Courtney, because she definitely shows a good example by embracing herself, and fighting to conquer her self doubt. 

 "I'd heard people say it before, like it was funny. Oh, you're more likely to cheat because you have twice as many potential partners. And there was so much wrong with that logic that I could die of old age trying to articulate it." 

I know some of you think that Ann Aguirre could have done more things with Courtney's bisexuality but I was satisfied with how the author treated this topic. As you can see from the quote above it was not only mentioned quite a few times but topics, such as people not even trying to understand bisexuality, were well-addressed. I think while gay and lesbian characters are slowly becoming normal part of literature, as they should, bisexual characters are still few and far between. The Shape of My Heart can be an amazing start to introduce more bisexual characters to books. 

I love friends to lovers romances and this was no exception. It was hard for me as a reader to see Courtney and Max struggle with suppressing their feelings due to thinking the other would never look at them in that way. At the same time I liked that they needed time to realize that they were totally into each other. It made the story all the more realistic. My only problem was the drama close to the end. I think Max's reaction was a bit over the top and unfair but at the same time I can understand him as well. 

I'm a bit disappointed because the epilogue wasn't long enough and it barely mentioned some of my favorite characters. I'd have liked a longer epilogue, probably 200+ pages but even I have to admit that this was a good closure to the story. It told us that all characters are happy but was no way cheesy. 

All considered, I liked the first and second book a tiny bit more. Ty and Nadia remain my favorite couple, meanwhile As Long As You Love Me is still the novel I enjoyed the most from the trilogy. The Shape of My Heart is a must read to those who loved the previous books. 

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. The soundtrack of the movie made by this book should be BackstreetBoys's "Shape of my heart"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! More so because the characters talk about it AND the previous two books have Backstreet Boys song titles as the title as well. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)