Tuesday, May 19

The Ten Worst Boyfriends in Contemporary Books

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hello sweeties. If you know me I'm sure you figured out that I can't not choose a negative topic if I'm given a choice. I feel like "the worsts" list are just as much fun as "the bests" lists. For today, I picked the Ten Worst Boyfriends in Contemporary Novels. Can't wait to share with you which boys I don't find worthy enough for their girlfriend.

I was literally dying to show you with quotes what I hate in these guys but unfortunately I don't really have time right now.  I should be practicing for my huge maths test  right now as it is. Also, don't take my dislike for these characters personally.

Travis Maddox from Beautiful Disaster
Travis is a special kind of snowflake. He's not a simple manwhore he is a deep male lead. He has feelings, he just has a hard time showing them. Also, he might need anger management but who cares when he's so sexy and dangerous? Duh. Just to make sure we're on the same page, he's the kind of guy who'd go into a jealous rage because Abby got home late from grocery shopping. Grocery shopping. 

Jack Carter from The Perfect Game
Everything started off as a perfect cliché love story, you know, asshole womanizer meets a lovely girl who is *gasps* the first ever woman who turned him down. I know, so original. Anyhow, the author really changed up the story when Jack cheated. But he was completely wasted, so it's not that bad. And is definitely not going to happen again. I can't even tell you all the details why I hate him, that's how mad thinking about this series makes me. 

Patrick Donnelly from 99 Days
Supportive boyfriend? What is that? Do not ask Patrick because he has NO IDEA. He's controlling and never even considers what might be good for his girlfriend. I mean, I totally agree. Who cares about anyone else but themselves? That's stupid and pointless. Go Patrick you cheating bastard. 

Étienne St.Clair from Anna and the French Kiss
Étienne is the kind of guy who'll date you and lead on not one, but two girls at the same time. Gosh, I'm so crushing on him right now. Have I mentioned that he's so very hot, and also he's a French-American guy with British accent. What was the problem with him again? I don't remember either.

Christian Grey from Fifty Shades of Grey
I love men who care about their girlfriend so much that they do everything to get to know her. And oh my, Mr. Grey excels at getting to know a woman because he does a complete background check on anyone he's interested in. Moreover, he really goes after what he wants, but we shall not call it stalking because he's hot and rich and so great in bed. Did I mention how hot he is? 
Conclusion: Everyone should have a Christian Grey. So much sexier than a nice guy. 

Preston Drake from Just For Now
Preston is a nice enough guy if we don't count the fact that he's a manwhore. Literally. And no, he does not stop sleeping around after he gets together with an Amanda. Anyhow, we all understand him because he has to take care of his little siblings. You asking why won't he accept the job one of his closest friends' offers? Because he's proud. Not too proud to sleep with women for money, though. 

Stryker Grant from Faster We Burn
Stryker seemed like a great guy at first but then he had to ruin it. *sad sigh* Want to push a girl away because her family doesn't think you're good enough? Alright, let's have sex with someone else! And then let the said someone else drive home drunk because she's just a supporting character after all. Readers don't care about that type anyways. 

Jude Ryder from Crash
Jude is one of those characters who shows some awesome characteristic in every single book of his. Thinking about it, he's just as amazing as Travis. Anger management issues tick. Controlling as hell tick. Jealous rage for no reason tick. Asshole tick tick tick tick. But he's rich. And a great athlete. So I'll have him any day. 

Jared Trent from Bully
Jared never experienced the "pull the girl's ponytail if you like her" phase when he was little so he just had to do it when they were past that stage. But he did it an improved way. He bullied Tate until she was broken but when Tate grew a spine and talked back to him he was hurt. I was so sad for Jared, poor boy had to suffer a lot because of his abusive father. I totally understand why he expected Tate to forgive him without a second thought and trust in him. I'd totally do that. Stupid Tate for not believing everything that Jared said. 

Sawyer Vincent from The Vincent Brothers  
Sawyer is a very confident guy, he know exactly when he's right which is obviously all the time. He knows a lovely, self-conscious girl really likes him so he goes and uses her as his rebound. But we forgive him because his heart is broken. And also, it helps that he's hot and does take good care about someone, just not his girlfriend, or call her whatever. Anyhow, I think we can all agree. He is a great guy.

Again, I have to say. Don't take these personally. I do not mean to offend anyone, if you like these guys, fine by me. This is my personal opinion only. Share with me your TTTs! I can't wait to see all your amazing topics. :)  



24 comments:

  1. Haha,good old Travis really need to go to anger management classes. That guy pissed me off so much! And he calls Abby pigeon.Really? Who calls their girlfriend with a nickname like that?
    I hated Etienne! I utterly despise cheating, and I can't get how a lot of readers love Etienne and find him romantic.
    And don't even let me start about Christian Grey! I am horrified to learn that a lot of teens and pre teens idolize that guy!Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most un-romantic nickname ever. Pigeon... and he calls her Pigue too, doesn't he? Or something similar.
      He could have been such an awesome character but he was too much of a coward to broke up with his girlfriend, to tell one of his best friends that he is not interested and ask Anna out. And in the end he tried to put the blame on Anna! That was the part that freaked me out the most.
      It's mortifying when 12-year-olds are asking for their very own Christian Grey. There's nothing great in that guy besides his money and I liked his family too.

      Delete
  2. Nice idea for a list! I actually haven't read any of these books (although I have heard of some of the guys) but all of them sound awful!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/top-ten-tuesdays-5/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice topic!!!

    Here's the link to my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-sexy-male-characters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Etienne was solo bad, ugh he annoyed me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ten reasons why I am super careful when it comes to picking out romance books to read. I've not read any of these books and hearing you talk about these guys confirms that I don't ever want to. Ugh, I hate those type of guys. It's really sad how so many girls think they are 'perfect'. I thought your sarcasm here was great and this was so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While some of these books were enjoyable you're really lucky you didn't pick most of them up, they are definitely not the best contemporary romances out there. I don't get how people can support these guys, some of them are so horrible. Thank you! :DD

      Delete
  6. Okay so the only two guys I recognise from this is Etienne, who I did adore while reading the book despite knowing his actions weren't the greatest (I felt he was a bit like a coward), and Christian Grey.... don't get me started on this one. Just thinking women (and teen girls) out there want to find theirselves one just makes me wanna punch people in the face. Great topic and sarcasm? on point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved him too but when I re-read the book I think I was in a more critical mood and started really seeing the faults in how Étienne acted with the girls, especially his girlfriend. I started to relate to this unknown girl and felt somehow cheated because it was obvious how the author tried to manipulate the reader into thinking this was that girl's fault. It's crazy how so many people are in love with Christian Grey, he's the worst ever book boyfriend.

      Delete
  7. Lol love the sarcasm! It's so stupid how some guys are COMPLETE JERKS, but my gosh he's so hot and said he was sorry so it's all good, right? NO. These girls need to have higher standards. Anger management issues should be an immediate turn off :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) IKR? Also, it's NEVER good sign when a guy thinks he can get away with throwing a jealous fit even before you're together AND he's still screwing around. Ugh, Travis is such a turn off.

      Delete
  8. Christian Grey is an obvious choice ofcourse! :P I was wondering whether Patrick Donnelly made it.. Yay, he did!! He was one of the most irritating boyfriends EVER!! It's really sad how girls tend to idolize the worst book boyfriend these days..Looks like someone has been practicing their sarcasm :D Hats off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't leave Patrick out of the fun. I mean, he deserves a great place on this list because in one book he was completely horrible to two girlfriends, that's some kind of record haha. Oh my gosh, a Lunar Chronicles joke! Yes, I've been totally practicing it haha. :DD

      Delete
  9. I've only read about Etienne so I'm feeling pretty great here! I'm not a huge fan of him, tbh. I mean, I get that he's all hot and everything but I didn't find him swoony at all. But Cricket from LOLA. YES HE IS MINE <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get why you don't like him that much, he's kind of a cute douchebag, if there's such a thing. No way, you can't have Cricket all to yourself, that's never going to happen. Sorry. :)

      Delete
  10. Hehe, even though I don’t think I’ve read any of these books this was a fun post to read :P Loved reading your reasons why you hate them! Great post :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, I definitely heard about Etienne St. Clair being a douche. He has a girlfriend and has the gall to lead someone else on?! I mean, that's fricking atrocious. Even if the gf wasn't there while he was having fun with Anna, tthe fact remains he has a gf! This is why I am so hesitant to check out that book.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an enjoyable book but now that you heard so many things about St. Clair, I'm not sure you'll be able to enjoy it. I guess the reason why so many people love him, why I used to love him, is that the author was tricky and made the gf look bad for a lot of reasons. Also, she made sure St. Clair was put into a light where he looked perfect. Hope you'll enjoy it if you pick it up. :)

      Delete
  12. Christian Grey! Gags. I couldn't even read the book. He just annoyed me so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all three. Just call me a masochist.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)