Thursday, May 21

Katie Cotugno - 99 Days


Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.




99 Days is not for everyone, as it turns out it's not for me either. In my opinion liking or disliking the novel mostly depends on your personal experiences, but more than that, all comes down to your feeling toward Molly. If you can't relate to her at all, like me, then I highly doubt you'll enjoyed the book. 

The biggest problem was that I couldn't connect to Molly no matter how hard I tried. I felt sorry for her on some levels but mostly I wanted to reach into the book, slap her and scream at her what the fuck was she doing. She tried to remind herself from time to time that she was making a mistake because she could easily hurt other people with her actions but in the end she only ever thought about one person: herself. If I had to describe her in a sentence I'd say: A dumb and self-centered bitch who makes the same mistake again and again. Molly is the picture of not learning from your mistakes, she should be given a sculpture for being the most stupid and thoughtless person on Earth. 

Give her some credit, she wasn't the only horrible person in the novel. I mean, there are unlikable characters and then there is the cast of 99 Days. Seriously, I highly doubt I've ever disliked en entire cast as much as I did these guys. I'd love to say that at least they were interesting, exciting etc. but they were anything but. Instead they were boring and awfully predictable, which made the story predictable as well. From the freaking moment Molly and Gabe kissed it was obvious that her summer will end up in flames and heartbreak. After this it wasn't hard to guess how everything will turn out.

To show you how little sense this novel made to me let me break down the story a bit. The whole freaking scandal that made everyone turn on Molly, happened after Patrick had broken up with her. So technically this wasn't cheating, though Molly made sure to make it a lot worse than it was. Instead of moving on or telling Patrick what happened, she asked him to take her back and then lived in a lie. That is, until her loving mother made sure to inform the whole world about what happened by writing a best-selling novel about her daughter's love life. You'd think Molly got cleverer after she came back. Hell no! Instead of moving on and probably standing up for herself Molly quickly gets together with Gabe and then makes sure she finally does cheat on someone. Yay, I was worried for her not acting on her dumbness for a moment there. Stupid me. 

Now let's talk a bit about the characters individually. Patrick is a controlling bastard, there's no better description for him. He wants everything to go as he desires and everyone to do what he wants. Moreover, he's incapable of taking others' feelings into consideration. He hurts everyone, and plays with them like marionette dolls, he does the very thing that made him despise Molly in the first place: cheats. On a nice and kind girl who's totally in love with him, no less. If I must choose between the brothers I'd choose Gabe but don't let yourself be fooled, he was not a good person either, he was only the lesser evil in this case.

Then there's Julia who's probably the most disgusting person in the novel. I mean there are bad people in this book and then there's worse. Julia. She's destructive and terrible. All in all she's like a venom that wants to take revenge on Molly. She shames Molly, she damages her personal belongings, she eggs the house Molly's mother lives in. She's childish, dumb and I feel like she has a little from every bad characteristic in the novel. 

Molly's mom is a piece of work. She barely has any role, still she manages to be one of my most hated characters. Like all characters, she's selfish, to the level that she's willing to sell out her daughter for a good story. You'd think she feels bad. Oh no, she thinks she made a favor to Molly. What kind, I don't know but she seems to be sure of it. I'd even say, she's proud of what she did.

Tess was possibly the most dumb character. I mean after Molly, because she sure as hell deserves the first place. Anyhow, Tess is as naive as one can get. She thinks Patrick loves her, she never even expected that he could cheat on her... and she takes him back after he broke up with her because he said "all the right things". *eye roll*

The romance didn't work out for a lot of reasons but the biggest is yet again that I couldn't relate to the characters. Who the hell would even want Patrick? His whole personality is a major turn off. Also, how can the author expect me to relate to this madness of a love triangle even a little bit if she doesn't show me any meaningful and emotional scenes between Patrick and Molly? All I've ever seen was Patrick being a dick and Molly going along with it, showing us what a dumbass she really is. How can we be expected to see the reason behind Molly's decisions if we barely got a glimpse of the Patrick she fell for? And don't even get me started on Gabe who was apparently only good for making out.

Despite how negative my review is congratulations to the author who was brave enough to create a story that divides even those who are mostly on the same opinion. Also, Cotugno addressed real problems like the woman taking all the blame in sexual situations for example cheating, even though we all know that the man was just as guilty. I doesn't matter that Gabe said again and again that they were in this together he did not get called a slut and was never bullied for what he did. Despite the fact that in my opinion morally he made the bigger mistake having sex with his brother's ex-girlfriend right after the break up when the said girlfriend was desperate and emotionally broken.

Who was the worst character in the novel? I honestly can't tell you, mainly because I'll never get to see what went down in the characters' heads while they were acting this way. I have no idea how Molly's mom justified in her head what she did, nor do I know why Patrick became this way. 

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5




9 comments:

  1. Couldn't be a better review for this extremely frustrating book! You've certainly captured all my thoughts while struggling through it. How stupid can a person be really? Molly was infuriatingly dumb- even when given a second chance! And Patrick.. Don't even get me started on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :))) I'm so glad we read this together because I'm not sure I could have suffered through it all alone. It was soo frustrating and I just wanted to punch Molly in the face (and frankly all the others), possibly with a brick.

      Delete
    2. Same here, I doubt whether I would have put up with Molly's antics until the end if not for you too!! :D

      Delete
  2. That's such a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. Granted I can see why you couldn't connect with Molly. Personally it was the ending that redeemed the book. Oh and her mum, god I hated her so much. Great honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the honest and insightful review. This sounds too infuriating for me. To many books for all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Glad I could help you decide if 99 Days is for you or not. :)

      Delete
  4. This is the exact problem I had with Cotugno's other book- I just couldn't connect with the characters, and couldn't understand at all what was attractive about the love interest. I mean, I guess it's good that we're getting a variety of characters that aren't all likeable, but it's definitely hard to like the stories that are based on those characters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that many books with unlikable characters but the ones I read all had better made characters than 99 Days. But again, my hatred might be thanked to the fact that I can't support cheating, no matter if the characters have amazing reasoning, and Molly and Patrick definitely didn't have that.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)