Wednesday, May 27

Ashley Stoyanoff - Two Truth and a Lie (PRG Investigations #1)

“If you want to make a lie believable, you gotta weave it with the truth.”
My brows furrow, confused by the comment. “What?”
Two truths and a lie, babe,” he says. “Makes the lie harder to pick up on.”

One year ago, I became a missing person. I left everything behind—family, friends, school. It seemed like a good idea at the time. My only option, really, until I realized running from a police officer isn’t as easy as I thought it would be.

It’s been exactly three-hundred and sixty-five days since I left home, but I’m finally ready to take the step I should have taken a year ago. I’m done hiding. I’m done running. I’m going to take my life back.

It was supposed to be easy. A meeting with Jason Pierce, a private investigator, was set up for me. All I had to do was go to him, let him do his thing, and then I could go home, or so I thought.

That is, until I met Jason and things got … complicated.




Two Truths and a Lie is the type of book that I expect to be a bit unoriginal but still very enjoyable. Sadly, this novel turned out to be a lot more dull and boring than I thought. My first two problems were the info dumping and the pacing. The book started off a bit slower than I expected, but I was still interested in knowing more about both main characters. Unfortunately, this interest didn't last long. We learnt all information about Elena and her "fiancé" in just a few pages and then we got to know the past of Jason and his dad later on in the exact same way. I believe that all this info could have been given to us in a smoother way. Back to the pacing. Some parts felt like they didn't have any importance at all, which was more than annoying when at other times it felt like all the action was written in a few pages. 

Obviously, I didn't start Two Truths and a Lie for the mystery or action, so I'm not going to complain about how badly explicated those two aspects were. Meanwhile I expected the romance to shine through the boring parts and be amazing. You might have guessed by now that this didn't happen. I found the romance very insta-lovey and frankly, I didn't buy it. But again, this might have been caused by that I was unable to relate to any of the characters. 

Elena was maybe the most well-made character, still I felt like she was so plain. That can be thanked to the fact that we barely learnt anything about her besides the fact that she was abused. I felt sorry for her, I really did but it's never a good thing when you feel sorry for a character because you know that what she went through is horrible, instead of feeling the way she must have felt. 

Jason was one of those characters who I don't know what to think about. At first he was straight out an asshole, then he became sappy, extremely so. I hate when characters, especially protagonists change without me actually seeing some development. Or at least some reason for their change besides liking a girl. 

The supporting characters were sadly even more forgettable than the main ones. I'm so disappointed because I saw so much potential in Jason's partners and also in his parents. Another thing that I missed was that I didn't have the chance to get to know Elena's parents at all. I wish I could have seen how they coped with everything.

All considered Two Truths and a Lie is far from the heartwarming romance I was looking for. Honestly, it was hard for me to write this review because this novel left me completely unimpressed, that's the reason while I can't give it a better rating than two stars. 

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5


2 comments:

  1. Aw, the synopsis looks so promising! Sorry you didn't like it as much as you had hoped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it did sound soo good. :(

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)