Saturday, May 2

2015 Challenges Update


Hello sweeties! As it turns out I'm absolutely terrible in keeping up with challenges. I don't even know why I'm surprised, I mean I'm the most disorganized person I know. After four months I decided it's time to at least try to at least summarize where I'm at the five challenges I'm in. 

The 2015 Reading Challenges page might be is constantly being updated. 

Click on the titles for Goodreads review. 



Goal: Magic Mirror Level (5-9 books)
Read so far: 6
Titles: 
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Gilded Ashes by Rosamund Hodge
My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison
Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen
Fairest by Marissa Meyer 
Gathering Frost by Kaitlyn Davis

CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

Final Verdict: 
I should have chosen a bigger level but whatever, I'm glad with my Magic Mirror Level.


Goal: 10-20 books
Read: 9
Titles: 
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson 
The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden 
These Broken Stars by Amy Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins 
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Fallen Too Far, Never Too Far and Forever Too Far by Abbi Glines

Final Verdict:
I want to re-read a lot of books this year, including The Harry Potter series and The Princess Diaries too, so I could have challenged myself more but I like to play it safe.  


12 categories
Plan on completing 6
Completed: 2

1.  A 19th Century Classic
2.  A 20th Century Classic 
3.  A Classic by a Woman Author 
4.  A Classic in Translation 
5.  A Very Long Classic Novel 
6.  A Classic Novella 
7.  A Classic with a Person’s Name in the Title 
8.  A Humorous or Satirical Classic: Beszterce Ostroma by Kálmán Mikszáth  
9.  A Forgotten Classic  
10.  A Nonfiction Classic 
11.  A Classic Children’s Book  
12.  A Classic Play : Henrik Ibsen - A Doll's House

Final Verdict:
I'm terribly ashamed of how few classics I've read this year. I'll try to read more, though.
 







So here are all the titles I've read for this challenge. I wrote the categories down from the left to the right. 

  • Library book: Beszterce Ostroma by Kálmán Mikszáth (a Hungarian Classic)
  • A top book of 2015 for you: I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios 
  • You heard about the book online: Wonder by R. J. Palacio
  • Set in the Southern Hemisphere: 
  • Published in 2015: Fairest by Marissa Meyer
  • Novella: Gilded Ashes by Rosamund Hodge
  • Setting that you now want to visit: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
  • Award winning: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • First in a series: All Fall Down by Ally Carter 
  • A keeper: This Shattered World by Amy Kaufman
  • Author outside your own country: One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin 
  • Book by author you really like: The Resolution of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen
  • Free choice: The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark
  • Published 2000-2013: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
  • Outstanding hero or heroine: TheWinner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski (Kestrel)
  • Won or borrowed: 
  • Set in the northern hemisphere: I Was Here by Gayle Forman
  • Debut novel by author: Something Real by Heather Demetrios
  • Published pre-2000: A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen
  • Author new to you: For Real by Alison Cherry 
  • 2nd book or more in a series: The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead
  • Been on your TBR forever: Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn
  • Published in 2014: The Shape of My Heart by Ann Aguirre 
  • Type of book you rarely or never read: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
  • You love the cover: A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

I marked with red the two categories I don't have a novel for yet.

Final Verdict:
This challenge didn't challenge me at all and to be honest wasn't as much fun as I was expecting it to be. That's mainly because I had no hardness in completing the categories. I think next year if I want to be in challenges like this I'll choose ones that are really challenging, like there are usually ones for seasons or for the holidays. Those are some that I would have to work and think to complete. 



Crossed: 8 from 26
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Bell Jar, The by Sylvia Plath
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge 
Darkest Part of the Forest, The by Holly Black
Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot 
Fairest by Marissa Meyer
Game by Barry Lyga
Heir, The by Kiera Cass
I Am Her Revenge by Meredith Moore
Joyride by Anna Banks
Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh
Little White Lies by Katie Dale
Madman's Daughter, The by Megan Shepherd
Night We Said Yes, The by Lauren Gibaldi
On the Fence by Kasie West
Program, The by Suzanne Collins
Queen, The by Kiera Cass 
Ruby Circle, The by Richelle Mead
Scorpio Races, The by Maggie Stiefvater
This Shattered World by Amy Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Uncross the Stars by Janell Rhiannon 
Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
Winner's Crime, The by Marie Rutkoski
OnyX by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Young Elites, The by Marie Lu 
Zero Day by Jan Gangsei

Final Verdict: 
I think I can say that this is the hardest challenge for me. As it turns out Zero Day won't even be published this year and I lost my interest in Young Elites. Now I need books to two of the hardest letters...


So, these are all my challenges for this year. Do you happen to participate in any of these? How are you keeping up with your challenges? 


15 comments:

  1. You're organized enough- that list just made me dizzy! Count me in for the Harry Potter re-read too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be pro in re-reading by the end of the year. :))

      Delete
  2. Looking at your challenges made me go back and update all my challenges, haha. As for the alphabet challenge, I have Zeroboxer by Fonda Lee for Z and P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han for Y - if that helps (although you seem to be sticking to first letters of the title). In any case, yay! I think you'll make it (aka actually finish your challenges). Me, not so much, hahah (I signed up for 15 books for each challenge. Yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeroboxer sounds really good, but I doubt I'll be reading P.S. I Still Love You, or the first book of the series for that matter, because I'm not interested. Anyhow, thanks so much for the recommendations! :))) I'm rooting for you to finish all your challenges, even though that sounds like a lot of books! Good luck! :))

      Delete
  3. Veronika, you're doing so well! I've still only read one book for the Fairytale Challenge which doesn't even count bc it wasn't even a fairy tale retelling so that hasn't been going super well for me. And speaking of the Reread challenge, I'd love to reread the HP series this year too. Hopefully I'll be able to make time for it during the summer! Anyway good luck with all your challenges! But you're doing super well already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Have you read The Lunar Chronicles? If you haven't you should start the challenge with them, that's four books if we don't count the novellas. Yeah me too, but I always end up buying new books instead of re-reading... Thanks, good luck to you too! :)

      Delete
  4. I think you're doing amazingly well with all your challenges. I'm only participating in one, the A-Z Challenge and I'm ashamed to say I've only read 4 so far (I'm on my 5th one).... I'm trying to squeeze two letter of the alphabet each month and I hope I can manage to complete it and like it happened to you, I've lost interest in a few titles I included. I found other titles to replace them though so is all good hahaha
    Good luck completing all the challenges Veronika! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wish I hadn't made the A-Z list and just added the books to it as I was reading them, some did it that way and it would have been so much easier... You're lucky you could find some to replace them!
      Good luck to you too! :))

      Delete
  5. This just reminded me that I did sign up for some challenges this year.But I am beyond terrible in them that I lost track of all my progress as soon as I started:)
    I think the problem with me is that I read by instinct.
    Well,it's not time to sing my praise,it's time to praise you!

    Congrats girl!You're doing so well.I am so proud of you!And I am sure you'll ace the rest as well.
    Go Ronnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing but then, thank god for goodreads, I was able to write down everything that can be used for the challenges.
      Thanks! :)) I'm sure if you want to you can easily complete all your challenges as well!

      Delete
  6. You've accomplished so much! Congratulations and good luck finishing the challenges! I've never been able to complete specified challenges mostly because I just read whatever strikes my fancy that day so all the power to you!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I'm kind of the same way as you that's why I don't see how I'll complete the Book Soup Challenge.

      Delete
  7. You can always set yourself a higher challenge with the fairytale challenge. Great job on completing it :D !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)