Monday, April 27

Top Ten Books Which Feature Characters Who Love Reading

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hello dearies. Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is the top ten books which feature characters who x. After thinking about it for a while I decided I'm going to list characters who love reading. Some of these characters simply adore reading, some do it to get away from their problems and in some of their life reading and books played an important role. All in all they enjoy reading, like all of us. :) 


10. Harlow from The Chance series by Abbi Glines 

Not my favorite series or characters by far but Harlow definitely deserves a place on my list. Mainly before she became a main character she liked to hide away in her room, ignore every annoying person in the house, and just read. 

9. Jax (and Calla) from Stay with Me by J. Lynn

Loved these characters and while it wasn't made into a big deal next to all the action and romantic drama, they did like to read. 

“He read? Oh my God, guys that read were like unicorns. They only existed in fairy tales.” 
Calla

8. Lottie('s mum) from Deeper We Fall by Chelsea M. Cameron

Lottie really liked reading, but the real reader was obviously her mother in the family. Seriously, just read this quote: 

Mom, I don’t know what to do.”
“Mockingbird.”
“Mom, I don’t think reading about Scout for the millionth time is going to help in this situation, despite how much I love it.”
“The words of Atticus Finch are relevant in any situation, especially this one. You would do well to remember them.” Great. I’d insulted To Kill A Mockingbird and made Mom mad. It was worse than if I’d take the Lord’s name in vain.
Mom had this idea that any situation could be solved by reading the right book. When I hit puberty and got my period, she handed me every Judy Blume book she could find. For when I liked a boy who didn’t like me back, she handed me Jane Austen. When I was all moody and hated the world, I got Poe and lots of other dark poetry to soothe my angst. To Kill A Mockingbird worked for anything and everything.

7. Nyx from Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Nyx reads to escape which I'm sure most of us can understand, even though we don't need to escape from the kind of situation she was in.

“I remember the hours I had spent in Father's library, drugging myself with books so I could forget my doom for an hour..”

6. Katy from Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

She's not only an avid reader but a book blogger too. Can you imagine a better protagonist?


5. Josh from I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

Not gonna spoil you anything but books, mostly a certain list of books, was really-really important in his life. 

4. Various characters from the On Dublin Street series by Samantha Young

From the moment we got to know Hannah she's been an avid reader but next to her Joss reads too, even though it's not made of a big deal. Also, Olivia works in a library, duh. 

3. Hermione from Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

I feel super-bad because I think I've only once listed a Harry Potter character in a top ten tuesday list, which is kind of sad. Anyhow, we all know that Hermione is perfect for this list.

2. Reni from Szent Johanna Gimi by Leiner Laura

Sorry non-Hungarian readers, this series was only ever published in Hungary but I couldn't live it out of this list. If I have to compare it to something I'd say Meg Cabot novels, still Laura writes in an entirely different way. Reni reads a lot, not as much as we do, though (lol). The best thing in these novels is that we know about books Reni is reading, no spoilers, though. She mostly reads classics, which were great recommendations to me.


1. Various characters from The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

From Daniel to his father and to Julián these characters loved to read. I guess that's not surprise because it's about a book and a cemetery of books, next to a lot of other things. Daniel's father has a bookshop. A freaking BOOKSHOP! Why can't I have a father with a bookshop who takes me to wonderful secret places like The Cemetery of Forgotten Books? *sobbing* 

“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.”



This was all for today. I hope you enjoyed my list. Share with me your favorite characters who read! Also, link in your TTTs if you'd like to. I'm quite curious about what you all came up for this week's topic. 

26 comments:

  1. I love books about bookworms, but most of these are either new to me or not yet read - except the Harry Potter series, of course! (I love Hermione!) Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll add to your list: Anne of Green Gables, and Talia from the Queen's Own trilogy (by Mercedes Lackey, part of her extensive Valdemar series.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found some that you'd like to read. :) Also, thanks for the recommendation, I've been meaning to read Anne of Green Gables from years.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh I love these sort of TTTs, when everyone has their own spin on the topic. And I think you picked a great one!
    Katy from Obsidian is one of my favourite reader characters too - along with Hermione and Nyx, but I like Katy as a reader more because of her vlogging.
    I also love Will Herondale and Tessa Gray from The Infernal Devices and their bond over reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, some bloggers come up with so creative topics.
      Oh gosh I completely forgot about Tessa and Will! I haven't read the last book, and I'm not sure I ever will but I really loved them. Plus there were awesome quotes about reading in those books.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love books which feature books with characters who love reading. We all love a bookworm! :-) Fantastic choices. My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really should hurry up and read I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios. You've made me more curious than ever! And thanks for introducing me to Carlos Ruiz Zafón, he's such an incredibly talented author. Hermione, yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should! I didn't know you've already read something by him! I love his writing style so much. :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome topic choice! I'll Meet You There is near the top of my tbr pile, I can't wait to read it! You've definitely made me curious about this list. Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! :) I'm looking forward to your opinion of I'll Meet You There! Hope you'll enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  6. Such an awesome selection, with some old favourites and some new ones I need to read. Desperately want to read 'Deeper we Fall' now! Thank you for getting it on my radar!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Deeper We Fall is a really great books with exceptional characters, they're all totally relatable. Hope you'll enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  7. Books that feature bookworms are the best because I can relate to them! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for characters who like to read! I loved Cruel Beauty, such an awesome book. Happy readings :)

    My TTT https://jazminjade.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/top-ten-tuesday-childrens-books-featuring-death/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cruel Beauty made me eager to read more and more retellings.

      Delete
  9. Intriguing list, out of the book I've only read the Harry Potter so can only agree with Hermoine but you've given me some books to look at further so thanks xx

    My TTT  - Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Hope you find some that you want to try and read. :)

      Delete
  10. Cruel Beauty sounds great, although I haven't read it yet. I definitely cant think of many books with characters who like to read so this is great!! Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give a chance to Cruel Beauty, more so if you enjoy retellings. :)

      Delete
  11. Great list! I love the topic you chose. I did mine on redheads; here's my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great topic choice, haven't read most of them, except for Harry Potter but I quite like the sound of Deeper We Fall, Lottie's mum sounds awesome! If you haven't read it, then The Book Thief is a good book that features a character who loves to read.
    Here's my TTT:
    https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/top-ten-tuesdays-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) You should give a chance to Deeper We Fall, it's a really awesome contemporary romance. I'm planning on reading The Book Thief soon, really hope it's as good as everyone seems to think it is.

      Delete
  13. This choice is AMAZING, Veronika! Besides Hermione and Katy, I don't know any of the characters that you listed but I so need to read Cruel Beauty, I'll Meet You There and The Shadow of the Wind (I'm ashamed to say I haven't read this one as well...). Funny enough, while reading the Lux series I had the feeling that Katy mentioned books and the blog but we don't find her reading a lot to be honest... or maybe is just my perception hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Read all of these books! They're completely different from each other but all of them are amazing. I've only read Obsidian from The Lux series but I think you're right. Katy only talks about books instead of reading but I have the feeling that she's a bookworm what I liked.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)