Saturday, April 25

My Favorite Things In the Book Blogging Community (A to Z)


I love book bloggers, you know I do, but sometimes I feel like we're concentrating on the bad stuff that's happening in the community instead of considering all the great things we've only ever been able to experience thanks to the community. It's easier to see the bad things that are happening because they're literally everywhere but try concentrating on the good stuff for a change. To make myself, and all of you lovely people see how many awesome things are in this community I decided to do an A-Z list out of my favorite things that I discovered thanks to blogging. My main goal is to cheer us all up and show ourselves all the great things that we know about but sometimes forget to cherish. Hope you'll enjoy.

I couldn't think of anything for K, Z and X. Have any ideas? 


ARCs
When ARCs are mentioned jealousy over someone getting one is the first thing that comes to most of our minds. Not getting the book you want sucks, it really does but we should all just let this go. I know it's not easy but by being jealous of others we only hurt ourselves. Sit down and think about all the amazing ARC reviews you've read, the ones that helped you decide if you should (pre-)order a book or not. And don't overreact, you'll read this book too, only a few months later. 
All considered I like to think about ARCs as something I really want but not necessarily need to blog. I have a huge enough reading pile as it is, so why should I stress about ARCs too? 

Buddy Reading
Buddy reading is one of the best things I've discovered since I've started blogging. There are some of us who think that reading is a lot more fun if not done alone and I like that I can say this without getting "what a freak" stares. To help people find buddy-reading partners there are all kinds of groups on Goodreads, do search up them if you're interested. 

Celebrating Blogoversaries
I know from a fact that a blogoversary is one of the biggest milestone in a blogger's life. First thing first be proud of what you accomplished in your year(s) of blogging, no matter if you have 50 or 500 followers. Sharing your happiness and proudness with your followers is not bragging so do it. Also, don't stress if you don't have enough money or patience for a giveaway at the moment. We're celebration YOU and YOUR BLOG and while it's nice to present your lovely followers with a giveaway it's not obligatory. Don't feel bad about not hosting a giveaway, feel awesome about reaching this huge milestone. 

Discussions
I've read so many interesting discussions ever since I've found the lovely list of blogs that I'm following now. I love that through their eyes I can see things in a different perspective and get informed about things I hadn't known before. 

Educational Posts/Reviews
It was a total shock to me when I realised how educational and informative some blog posts and reviews can be. I've read about books that dealt with these issues like a pro, and ones that... not so much. But one thing was common in these novels: I've get to hear about them through posts and reviews of smart and honest bloggers who shared their own experiences with us through their book blogs. I've read about racial discrimination by non-white book bloggers, LGBT reviews by people who were familiar with LGBT issues in our real world and posts about how mental-illness is dealt with in books by people who've suffered from mental issues in their own life. All in all I've read educational posts and reviews by book bloggers who were familiar with these topics, either by learning about them or experiencing them in their own lives. I can only say thank you to all of you for opening my eyes to these very much actual problems through reading and blogging. 

Friendliness
When I started blogging it caught me by total surprise how nice everyone is to each other and how they actually care about what I have to say. To be honest, I never expected to make friends because of blogging or to even interact with people that much. Obviously, there are exceptions but if we look at the bigger picture, the book blogging community is one of the friendliest ones on the internet. 

Groups
When I first discovered Goodreads groups I had no idea what they were good for but they're awesome! There are all kinds of book clubs and buddy reading corners where you can meet with new people and do what you like the most together. 

Handmade (Bookish) Things
I love these kind of posts, shame I'm real crappy in making handmade things. Anyhow, some bloggers are really talented and make things all kinds of wonderful things... bookmarks, necklaces, nail design and probably anything else you can think of. Obviously, those book bloggers who share with us their creations aren't only sharing bookish related things but honestly, who minds that? I'm surely not. 

Interviews with Authors
I've never actually done an author interview but I love reading them. These are great opportunities to get to learn new things about your favorite authors or to encounter with new, maybe less well-known, authors and their works. 

Joy of Reading
This is something that all of us are familiar with and what I love in the book blogging community is how we can share this with each other. No matter if you liked or hated a certain book there'll always be someone you can either rave or rant to, you just have to find them. 

Leaving Comments on Others Blogs
This is one of the best things a blogger can do, even though I know some of us don't usually have time to comment back on others' blogs or to visit new blogs. Why I love commenting back is because I've found many, many awesome blogs thanks to this and also I like to support bloggers with my comments and compliment them for the hard work they're doing. 

Meeting New People
I've met with so many amazing people thanks to blogging, some of them are bloggers, some "only" readers but they're all awesome. I love how blogging and reading can bring us close to each other.

Netgalley
Netgalley is really important in my blogging life and not only because of the ARCs but because I could get to read tons of unknown books to me. And I could give a shout out to all the underrated authors who'd deserve to be wildly popular. 

Original Features
Original features are so much fun, no matter if they're known wildly or if you're the only one who use them on your blog. Seriously, I've created a few too and you can't imagine how amazing it is to just get to share with your followers your own ideas. Be proud of your own invented features and keep making them because I'm sure your followers love them. 

Also, enormous respect to the hosts of all the amazing weekly events who work a lot to manage to do these. Just to name a few widely known memes and features: Top Ten Tuesday, Waiting on Wednesday, Musing Mondays, Stacking the Shelves, Trivia Tuesday and many more. 

Personal posts
I'm sure if you've been following a blogger for a while you start to become interested in his/her personal life. And that's why I love personal posts! You don't have to share really personal information obviously, but a few fun facts, or pictures about your vacations would be awesome so go for it if you want to.

Quotes
I love those posts where the bloggers share with us their favorite quotes from books. Many times I've ended up adding a novel to my TBR list thanks to the awesome quotes I've read from it. So thank you everyone who shares fav quotes regularly. 

Read-A-Thons
It's a lot of fun to read a certain amount and/or type of books with people who love reading just as much as you do. And isn't it nice to challenge yourself once in a while. 

Surveys
I always enjoyed doing surveys so I might just make one, one of these days too. Anyhow, what I like the most about surveys is getting to see the answers and comparing them to each other. 

Tours (Blog)
Who doesn't love blog tour posts? I really like that whenever I'm participating in a blog tour I'm helping the author advertising his/her book. Also, while I always go for reviewing the book, the imaginary cast posts and things like that are fun to read, and I'm sure fun to make as well. 

Unit(y) of Book Bloggers
You can say a lot of things to the book blogging community but most of us stick together when needed and we stand up for each other. After the Kathleen Hale scandal I couldn't find one blogger who wasn't disgusted by what she did and didn't feel bad for Blythe. I'm not saying there wasn't anyone but I haven't heard of any.

Visiting Blogs Regularly
This is a bit like leaving comments on other blogs but at the same time not really because I do visit regularly all blogs I'm following but don't always have something to say, or patience and time to leave a meaningful comment. Anyhow, I love visiting the blogs I'm already following but ones that were recommended somewhere as well. After all, if I wouldn't do this there would be no way to encounter with new blogs and find new friends. 

Wanting to Help Authors and Each Other
The best thing in the community, hands down. Everyone I've talked to was so helpful, they gave advice, they told their own experiences and so on. Also, I've never met a blogger who didn't want to promote an author whose book he/she loved. All in all, bloggers want to help and support each other and authors. 

Youtubers 
While I'm not a big fan of any booktuber, (not that I dislike them but I'd rather read a blog post than watch a video) they're important part of a reader's life. They're wildly popular even between non-readers and in many cases they're able to encourage people to start reading. Also, they create amazing tags despite all the world they do to create their videos. 

What are your fav things in this community? Share with me in the comments! :)

26 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. The book blogging community is so friendly and I love being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post sums up perfectly the things I also love about the book blogging community. I love how people is so nice too and you have the opportunity to connect with people who share the same feelings towards books and reading. I don't mind the ARCS as well. I mean, I don't get them most of the time because I live in Spain and due to copyright stuff they cannot send you them most of the time but I never joined for the sake of getting ARCs and as you said, my TBR pile is humongous enough to add even more books (I swear one day my family will find me buried under a pile of books lol).... Personal posts are also quite nice. With a book blog is sometimes a bit hard to talk about oneself... but I love tags where you're supposed to give random facts about you. It helps to know there is a human being behind the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we see things the same way. I don't get them many times either because of the copyrights but I still love to check out all the unknown books to me and I usually encounter with many awesome titles, and then I add them to my unbelievably long TBR haha. Plus, one way or another ARCs usually cause me more stress than happiness because I really dislike when I have to read something for a date. What you said about tags is one of the reasons why I love doing them so much. It really does help, I'd hate to think that anyone would see me as some kind of robot or I don't even know what haha.

      Delete
  3. Aww I love this post so much Veronika! Thank you for writing this - I think all of us need a reminder from time to time about how wonderful book blogging is and how lucky we are to be a part of this community. It's easy to get caught up with everything else and lose sight of it all which is why this post is important.

    So much love for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie! <3
      I'm so glad I was able to achieve what I wanted with this post, I really needed that reminder too.

      Delete
  4. This is a great post! I love that it focuses on positives of book blogging; sometimes I need a reminder of why I still blog when things get crazy in the community. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3
      I really, really was in the need of that reminder too so I'm really glad I was able to help you too. :)

      Delete
  5. I have only participated in one buddy read before and I really loved it. Let me know if you're interested in doing one with me! I'd love to do a buddy read again.

    Discussion posts are my favorite posts ever! Aside from recommendation posts, that is.

    I'm also crappy at making handmade things. I swear to God, aside from typing and writing, my hands are practically useless when it comes to creative stuff. If I'm not mistaken, Kim of Divergent Gryffindor crochets beautiful bookish things and I am forever jealous of this talent!

    I love meeting new people! Book blogging has given me friends who live in countries such as Australia, the UK, and Malaysia. Definitely one of the best things about book blogging!

    This is such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, that sounds wonderful. I'd love to do a buddy read with you, Kayla! Will definitely hunt you down on Twitter. :)
      I love recommendation posts too, they do an awesome job of making me add more and more books to my TBR.
      I feel you. Add to that, that my handwriting isn't the neatest or prettiest out there either.
      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  6. This post is absolutely wonderful - now I feel all warm and happy inside ahaha. I agree with everything you have said in this post. Especially about the unity and friendliness of the community. I look forward to the day that you make a survey! They're awesome.
    I've yet to participate in a Read-A-Thon, but I keep swearing that one of these days I will. It always just seems to be at an inconvenient time when I find out about them.
    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sabrina! <3
      I feel ya, most read-a-thons are in the worst possible time for me but I hope in summer I can participate in a few.
      I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  7. I love this! So many people forget about the awesomeness that the bookish community can bring to the world! Everyone is so nice and supportive! When I first started blogging, I was actually terrified of talking to other people on Goodreads or people with blogs but everyone was/is so nice!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from myself that's true, this is why I decided to do this post. I was the same way when I started blogging, never imagined that I'll make friends through blogging. I'm glad both of us realised how nice and friendly everyone is. :)

      Delete
  8. I was just about to lose my faith a bit in blogging because of all the drama lately, but your post has rekindled that love inside me again and made me realize that there are so many other positive things about this community. This post is wonderful and came at the right time. THank you!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't do that, after all I still think there's more good in blogging than bad. Sometimes we just need a reminder of all the awesomeness this community brought to our life.
      Thank you! :) I'm glad it turned out the way I wanted it to. :)

      Delete
  9. This is such a positive post, and I highly adore this so much! Thanks for making this post :) I love every little thing here. I love this community because you get to connect with so many people who have the same interests as you -- nobody will judge you (unlike the real world out there who HATES reading) and everybody will most likely respect your opinion and show support. Truthfully, I wish I could meet several bloggers whose blogs I highly admire! That would be really great because the friendships that we form here is something really worth it, right? :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad it came through what I wanted to do with this post. :)
      Yes! Judging is terrible in the real world but I've never encountered with it here, mostly, bloggers are really supportive of each other. That would be so cool! Meeting up with every blogger who I love chatting with and who I admire. :)

      Delete
  10. Though I fall into the "only readers" category, I have to say I really loved reading your A-Z list! Hope you have more and more happy years of blogging to come Vera! You deserve it :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it too, Ruzi! Thank you! <3

      Delete
  11. Love this post Ronnie!And I agree with everything.I love this community so much,and I think I am quite blessed to be part of it.A lot of love exists in the blogosphere,and I think it's beautiful how we all bond over our mutual love for books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mishma! :))
      It's such a great feeling being part of this community. It really is, I love how I can talk to any blogger easily. :)

      Delete
  12. I agree with everything you have read, everyone seems to love ARC's xD I also love discussions posts on other blogs, it's nice to read various thoughts and ask people to join in as well. Love the post! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes to ALL OF THESE!!! :D I love this community so freaking much, and I think my favorite part has been the friends I've made. I can't imagine not talking to so many of these people every single day, and oh I cannot wait to meet a few of them at BEA. Another one for me is the author interactions, and I love how social media has reduced the barrier and given me a chance to communicate with them in a more personal way. And yeah, love this community and so glad I became a part of it. <3

    Lovely list, Veronika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous of you for going to BEA! Just so you know, I'm expecting a detailed post about it on your blog haha.
      Thank you! :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)