Thursday, April 2

Janette Rallison - My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother 1)

“Courage is a fickle creature. Just as you need it, it often makes excuses and rushes out of the room.”

Finding your one true love can be a Grimm experience!

After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy.




Highlight for spoilers

Light fantasies like this are not my usual cup of tea but I loved Janette Rallison's Just One Wish so I was pretty sure I'll enjoy this novel too. Unfortunately I felt like the story was going nowhere despite the semi exciting plot. Moreover I found the characters one-dimensional and distant. My problems started with Jane, who I could sympathize with but at the same time I felt like her character was boring and made the stupidest decisions, even though she was supposedly the clever sister. 

Savannah's point of view didn't bring the awaited change in the novel. It was terrible how she was overlooked in the family. What I hated the most was that her parents barely had any role in the novel. Her mother appeared once but only briefly and it wasn't like she was that nice to Savannah. I think she should have been a lot more understanding and she should have told her daughter how she is no less than Jane, no matter how smart Jane is. 

I liked how the author tried to portray that while Savannah wasn't book smart or call it whatever, she still didn't deserve to be treated like an airhead. My problem is that the message didn't came through crystal clear and can easily be overlooked next to the other things that happened close to the end. 

I hated how both Cinderella and Snow White were portrayed like idiots. Cinderella because she endured being treated like a dog but, unlike Savannah, who ran away when things got heated, she didn't know she had a fairy godmother. And Snow White was portrayed like a dumb ass girl who couldn't even remember seven names. Alright, she did fall for the queen's trick more than once but come on this is a fairy tale! Do not try to look at it logically, or you'll go mad. Fairy tale retelellings are awesome and old fairy tale characters should not be portrayed as dumbasses. I might have taken this a little sensitively but fairy tales are fun and are part of our childhood, why should we mock them just because we've grown up? 

The novel was really predictable, I doubt even one surprising thing happened. The scenes from the past were not half as well-made as they could have been and magical scenes were boring and lame. The whole "mystery" screamed OBVIOUS, I even suspected who the Black Knight was, which was supposed to be the biggest mystery. Also, I'd have liked if Savannah hadn't used her wishes in the first couple of pages when this is a book about them. But again, we've already known how her wishes are going to go wrong, thanks the blurb. Telling the main parts of the story in the blurb is never ever a good idea.

The romance lacked of chemistry, I don't think I've read this year about any couple who had so little chemistry. But again, this might be because I absolutely hated Tristan. Hunter too, by the way. I hate people like Tristan, people who think they are oh-so-clever but actually they are too dumb to function in real life. He did and said the dumbest things of all the characters, and that, my friend, is a huge thing because the others weren't the most intelligent folks either. Also, I hated how he constantly put down Savannah with his attitude, he might have said nice things to her but his actions are what count in the end. I just wanted to punch Tristan, and break a few bones in the process.

Jane seemed so nice at first sight but from Savannah's point of view she was everything I hate in a person, even if that person is the most intelligent human being who stepped foot on Earth. She looked down on her sister for not loving school and learning and I doubt she even tried to understand who Savannah's was.

Chrissy was maybe the only fun character, though I doubt anyone would let her be a fair(y) godmother. I found her character controversial. She seemingly couldn't care less about what happened to Savannah but there were signs that proved that she had a heart.


Overall, this novel was a total disappointment thanks to the plain characters, boring story and lack of chemistry. 

Recommended for those who are looking for a predictable but somewhat fun novel about dumb kids fairies who screw up wishes big time.

Favorite character: - 
Least favorite: Hunter, Tristan, Jane, the girls' parents, the royal family in the past

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 2.5/5


16 comments:

  1. I remember reading this a couple years ago and liking this, but I have to admit, if I read it now I'm not sure I would enjoy it that much. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I think I'd have loved this when haven't read quite this many books. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. Uh oh, I think I might stay away from this novel, predictable books annoy me :( Thanks for giving it a try though & fantastic review <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to tell you that you might enjoy it but I highly doubt it. Thank you! :D

      Delete
  3. This was a book/series I had been kind of undecided about (not really my prefered genre) but... Well, I happen to want to read about likable people and the way you describe these makes me think I'd probably hate them. Sorry you didn't like the book more, but thanks so much for the warning review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it would have been the cute chick-lit(ish) novel with lovely character I was looking for, sorry to disappoint you. I hope your next read will turn out a lot better than this was. :)

      Delete
  4. sorry you didn't like this book, hope your next read will be a great one :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god, this looks (that horrific cover is killing my eyes!) and sounds horrible... It's something I would not pick up, ever. And then, I read your review and my opinion stands. I'm staying away from this. Hope your next read is better Veronika :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cover really is horrible, but I thought the story will compensate me for it... I wish I'd listened to my instincts that told me to run far from this novel.... :)

      Delete
  6. Agh I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book so much :( I actually thought it looked really interesting because I liked the idea. The portrayal of Cinderella and Snow White didn't seem so impressive. I hope you get to read a better book after this, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the idea too, I've always loved the fairy godmother part of Cinderella so I was extremely excited for this novel. It's a shame how little it lived up to my expectations. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. This is not my kind of book,but still when I saw it in Goodreads,I thought that maybe it will be interesting.Guess I was wrong.
    And I understand your frustration about shallow characters and chemistry-less romance.They irritate me quite a lot as well.
    I hope your next read will be a better one Ronnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same happened to me too, I don't know what is it about this book that attracts people who usually don't read in this genre.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  8. I kept *almost* buying this, but then holding off because I had a feeling it wasn't going to be so great. Glad I didn't, definitely don't think it'd be to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky you hadn't bought it, I did and look how it turned out. :(

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)