Thursday, April 23

Cathrine Doyle - Vendetta (Blood for Blood #1)

“This life is so complex that we rarely get to be the people we are truly meant to be. Instead, we wear masks and put up walls to keep from dealing with the fear of rejection, the feeling of regret, the very idea that someone may not love us for who we are deep in our core, that they might not understand the things that drive us.” 

When it comes to revenge, love is a dangerous complication.With a fierce rivalry raging between two warring families, falling in love is the deadliest thing Sophie could do. An epic debut set outside modern-day Chicago.

When five brothers move into the abandoned mansion in her neighbourhood, Sophie Gracewell's life changes forever. Irresistibly drawn to bad boy Nicoli, Sophie finds herself falling into a criminal underworld governed by powerful families. As the boys' dark secrets begin to come to light, Sophie is confronted with stinging truths about her own family, too. She must choose between two warring dynasties - the one she was born into, and the one she is falling in love with. When she does, blood will spill and hearts will break.






My very first problem with Vendetta was the blurb that makes the novel look over-dramatic and it misleads you into thinking Vendetta is something that is not.  Based on it I expected a romantic drama filled novel with gang wars every direction. Thankfully, Vendetta was rather about Sophie's inner fights and how she dealt with discovering the truth, than about any of the things above. 

Sophie's life isn't as easy as you might think.  After her father's imprisonment she lost all her friends besides Millie, her very best friend in the world. Instead of whining about her problems, Sophie's funny, snarky and smart. Don't get me wrong, she's not perfect, she makes her fair share of stupid decisions but that is what makes her a 100% realistic teenage girl. She knows she shouldn't get herself engaged in Nic's life but she can't help herself. Her inner struggle to stay true to herself was the very best thing in this novel. 


“I knew I couldn’t trust my illogical heart, and that meant I had to do everything in my power to stay away from him so I wouldn’t have to.” 

Thanks to how relatable the characters were, Vendetta felt like an emotional roller coaster. Through Sophie I experienced a wide range of feelings. Her conflicted feelings made me eager to turn the pages and see how her opinion will turn out in the end. All the characters were somewhat interesting and relatable, Sophie's mom and uncle were the only exceptions. These two were plain and one-dimensional, they had no real emotional role which was a huge disappointment. 

Five crazy hot boys who are actually brothers, what's not to like? Plenty of things, as it turned out. My problems started when I found the chemistry between Nic and Sophie particularly non-existent. But, I thought, at least Nic is not your usual asshole. And then came Luca who is everything a cliché bad boy should be. By the end, sadly I had to realise that the next novel will definitely feature a love triangle. 



I loathe love triangles and the thing that the Nic-Sophie-Luca love triangle has a very Vampire Diaries-ish feeling doesn't help the case.

Overall, Vendetta is an enjoyable novel that will make you wonder about which one is the right path. Hopefully, the next book will be just as good as this one was. :) 

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 3/5
The characters: 4/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5


9 comments:

  1. Why why why do you make my TBR so long!?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the blurb looks like something I will not pick up but your review makes me very intrigued. I love books that deal with psychological aspects but the fact that we have to put up with a love triangle makes me cringe... But maybe I do give this one a go, who knows maybe the love triangle isn't that badly written, right? Although, that's hard to believe hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should pick it up! At least we can compare the guys to each other together:P. It's not exactly a love triangle in this one but it will come in the third novel, I'm sure. More so bc all the fans want more Luca (meh), even though I have no idea why. None of the guys were impressive but I have hope for the next novels. :)

      Delete
  3. This book seemed so shallow on the outset, but like you, I was pleasantly surprised when I actually read it. Sophie is legit likable. & I really liked the suspense - I actually found the mid to ending kind of scary...haha. I liked Nic...but I didn't feel the epic-ness of their romance. He just seemed kind of Blah. Yeah, Luca is more dangerous, but he also was kind of a super jerk to her. He did redeem himself at the end a bit, which begs for a love triangle, I agree. Still interested to see where the book goes, considering I did think it did suspense/action really well. Great review, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover and the blurb give the wrong impression which is a shame because the content is very enjoyable. I was disappointed by how little we learnt about Nic, about his personality... I hope this will change in the sequels because for me this is probably the reason why I didn't like the romance. I get Luca, more than Nic, but I didn't find him as swoon-worthy as the reviewers on Goodreads.
      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  4. I received this book from Scholastic unexpectedly, and after reading the blurb I wasn't sure if I was going to pick it up or not. I'm not really into the whole mob thing, which is what I was getting from the synopsis, especially when I read the promo paper and it said " Inspired by Goodfellas. " I'm like okayyyy? Wasn't sure if the author could pull it off. I actually don't mind love triangles, especially when they're done very well, but idk how I feel about the triangle consisting of two brothers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an enjoyable book so if you ever feel like reading it do give it a chance. While the mob was very important part of the story (obviously) I still think Sophie's struggle with the things she learned about Nic's and her own family was in the centre of the novel. To my surprise and disappointment the story wasn't half as action-packed as I expected from such a book.
      Anyways, I really hope you'll enjoy it if you choose to read it. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)