Sunday, April 12

Alison Stine - Supervision


Something is wrong with Esmé.

Kicked out of school in New York, she's sent to live with her grandmother in a small Appalachian town. But something is wrong with the grandmother Ez hasn't seen for years; she leaves at midnight, carrying a big black bag. Something is wrong with her grandmother's house, a decrepit mansion full of stray cats, stairs that lead to nowhere, beds that unmake themselves. Something is wrong in the town where a kid disappears every year, where a whistle sounds at night but no train arrives.

And something is wrong with the friendly neighbor Ez's age with black curls and blue eyes: He's dead.






I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange of an honest review.

I went into Supervision expecting something unusual and amazing, instead it officially became the biggest disappointment of 2015 so far. *cheers* Everything about this book seemed so promising. I love books about ghosts but I've never read anything quite like the story that the blurb of Supervision suggests. And the cover looks magical, isn't it? Before starting this I'd decided that I'll purchase this as soon as it's out in paperback, this is how much I was looking forward to Supervision. You've probably guessed by now that this is not going to happen. 

The writing was all over the place. Even if we excuse all the mistakes, that can be corrected for the real publication, we still have the rushed and confusing storyline. At least half part of the novel was a lot like a rough sketch of a book, instead of a nearly ready ARC. Sadly, I found the writing a lot more dramatic than I'd have preferred, though I got used to this later on, and it might not annoy others. 

My biggest problem, though, was how disconnected I felt. Reading this book was a lot like watching something through a gray glass. On top of this I was emotionally detached from Esmé. She was a nice enough character, I guess, but I couldn't relate to her, nor did I ever feel for her. There were things I knew about her but I never had the chance to get to know her or to see her intentions and feelings. 

Thankfully, most things got better as the story progressed. Not the plot holes, though, because those made the story nearly unbearable to read all through the book. All these ghost were moving around things even when real people were there. I'm pretty sure by now the Ghostbusters would have appeared. On top of this, all chapters ended with forced cliffhangers that instead of making the story exciting, made me angry. Moreover, at many parts I felt like the story jumped from one thing to the other. This would have been understandable if the MC had been on heavy drugs but she was not. The dialogues annoyed me to no end. It wasn't enough that the story was boring but Esmé had to go around telling people all about the things that we've just read about. This, and many other things made the story slow. 

The romance was maybe the worst thing in the novel. For instance I don't get how can you make out with a ghost if you're not Suze from The Mediator. The chemistry was non-existant and I never even understood why they liked each other in the first place. I know, it's the strangest thing that I say this, but Supervision would have been better off without the romance. 

I'm pretty sure there will be people who enjoy this book, but it was simply not for me. 

The story idea: 2/5
The realisation of the story: 1/5
The characters: 1/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 1/5

8 comments:

  1. Wow, we already read about it and it gets talked about again shortly after? That sounds highly redundant to me! That would have drove me nuts. I absolutely have little to no tolerance for stuff like that. I'm sad to see that this was a huge disappointment to you overall, though. I can totally relate to that... that deflating feeling is simply depressing.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it drove me nuts too. As if the story hadn't been boring enough before having to read the same stuff again and again. Meh, this book was such a disappointment.

      Delete
  2. The cover caught my eye, which is why I stopped by to read the review. BTW you are becoming one of my favorite blogs to follow. After reading your review... I'm glad to have someone weed this out for me. Way to take one for the team... Ha ha sorry it was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, I'm glad you like my blog! Oh well, at least me suffering through this helped you not to have to do the same haha.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog name! So awesome :) I'm sorry this was such a dissapointment for you and yiu couldn't even connect with the main character. I've read a really bad ARC with mistakes everywhere and I still enjoyed the book so I know from experience that not liking the book it not because it's an uncorrected proof. I hope your next read is better and your next most anticipated book won't be a dissapointment again like this one!

    Amir @ Not So Literary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      I hate when ARCs are full of mistakes, I mean I get it's not the final copy but you're presenting it to readers who'll review your book. Should it be at least 80% ready? But of course you're right, this alone does not make me dislike a book. I hope so too. :)

      Delete
  4. I have to say I loved your review :D So sorry you had to go through such a time reading it. Hopefully your next review would be of a much more satisfactory read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really hope so too. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)