Saturday, March 21

Reread Review #1: Anna and the French Kiss

“I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.”

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?










When I first read it

In 2012 but I've reread it a few times since then. 

What I remember

I'd read contemporaries before Anna and the French Kiss (mostly Meg Cabot) but when I read Twilight I kinda abandoned everything but the fantasy genre. I guess you can say that Stephanie Perkins is the author who got me hooked on the contemporary genre (again). I loved everything in this book, the story, the characters, the romance and oh my gosh that setting! In one word: I adored it. 

Why I wanted to re-read

Cheating is one of my biggest pet peeves meanwhile when I first read Anna it didn't bother me at all. I think, partly this can be thanked to the fact that I wasn't as critical then as I am now, nor did I know anyone who had been cheated on. Anyhow, since then my opinion changed and on many levels I started to agree with those who hate on Étienne. I didn't want to think of him as a bad guy because he's so cute and awesome and who cares about Ellie (his gf) anyway? I didn't know what to think, and that's why I decided to pick up Anna and the French Kiss for real re-read this time. 

How I felt after re-reading


I have to admit, when I first read the book I didn't even stop to consider Ellie's (St. Clair's girlfriend) feelings, after all she was nothing but a mean bitch who was standing in the way of my ship. Now I'm ashamed I ever thought that. She was a normal girl just like Anna, and even though she abandoned her friends because she was 'too cool' for them as a college girl she deserved to be respected. Constantly thinking about another girl and trying to woo that girl is not right, even if your gf is the biggest bitch in the world and I doubt Ellie was that, however bad the author tried to portray her to justify St. Clair's actions. Even if we look over the fact that Étienne treated Ellie terribly, we still have Mer who was madly in love with him but he never straight up told her that he isn't interested. And he lead on Anna. 
Don't get me wrong, I still think that he is a great character, not as swoon-worthy as I thought before but still not the worst. I'd punch him in real life, though.

I loved the story just as much as I did before, and unlike most people I have no problems with Anna. She wasn't perfect but the good thing about her was that she was able to admit when she made a mistake. I was happy to see Josh and Rashmi. I always liked Rashmi and I wasn't glad when her name only came up in Isla and the Happily Ever After to cause some jealousy drama. That book was just meh for me. 

Overall, while this is not my favorite contemporary romance it's definitely a cute read, recommended for everyone who enjoys contemporary and is not bothered by cheating.

Would I re-read again

Yes. There are so many adorable parts in it that I'm sure I'll be all over this book again in no time haha.


Rating changed to 4 stars from 5. 

10 comments:

  1. I liked Anna and the French Kiss as a cute pick-me-up. I'm currently reading Isla, and I have to say that I prefer it to Anna. Etienne didn't annoy me that much, but I definitely think he was flawed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy Isla, even though it was my least favorite of the three books. I liked Lola the best, not that it wasn't flawed but Cricket was super cute haha.

      Delete
  2. I think I read Anna at the wrong time, and I definitely allowed the hype to ruin my reading experience. It didn't live up to my expectations like everyone said it would, and because of that I was a bit disappointed. Everyone ranted and raved about it, and when I finally decided to read it, after finishing, I felt a bit . . . underwhelmed. I do want to to continue to Lola and Isla, but probably when I'm looking for something cute and light to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame because Anna really is a good book, but I get what you're saying. Just recently a book was totally ruined for me because of the hype. I think a popular novel has to be really exceptional to live up to its hype. Lola was awesome, so so much better than Anna. I didn't like Isla but I hope you will.

      Delete
  3. Honestly, Anna and the French Kiss was one of the books that opened me up to contemporary more! I was always a so-so fan, like I dabbled here and there, but something about Anna just made me want to read more in the genre. I think it was probably the setting? Entienne was absolutely flawed, but... I think I have "I CAN FIX HIM"-itis because I loved him so much it was kind of gross. :(

    (I have to say, I actually didn't like Isla and the Happily Ever After much either! Which feels horrible to say, since I think Stephanie is one of the best authors I've read anything from thus far. I loved Rashmi though, and I really loved Josh/Rashmi, and I just found Isla to be... kind of vapid. I don't know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and when I read it was the time when contemporaries became insanely popular, I think. Haha, that's not gross at all, I kinda pretended that I didn't see his mistakes, now that is gross.
      Isla was so annoying. She was insanely jealous of Rashmi, a girl who wasn't even in Josh's life anymore, while she freaked out when Josh was a bit freaked out over the fact that Isla was sleeping in the same bed as her best-verymuchmale-friend. Fuck logic.

      Delete
  4. You've made some interesting points which I've never thought about before with this book. I don't think I hated Ellie, but I definitely wanted St Clair to get with Anna. I've been meaning to reread this one for a while so I can write a review for it, so maybe I'll feel the same as you when I've read it again. Great review with some really interesting points! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed my review and found my points reasonable. I really hope you'll love re-reading the novel even if you end up seeing it in the same light as I did. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your review! I've had Anna and the French Kiss on my Kindle for a while, but I've been iffy about it; your review has definitely helped convince me to bite the bullet and read it already! If you love it enough to reread it multiple times, I know I'll love it! Happy reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you helped you with this! It definitely has some problematic issues, BUT it's still a cute, fun and easy read. Hope you'll enjoy it! :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)