Monday, March 30

Quote That Book #1: Contemporary Conversations


Hey guys. Today marks the end of Contemporary Conversations. It was strange to read nothing but contemporaries this past month but I had so much fun participating in this event. To close down this event I decided to make a post out of my favorite quotes from the books I've read for this event. I hope you'll enjoy this. :)



1st week: Coming of Age  


I Was Here by Gayle Forman

“Sometimes we meet people and are so symbiotic with them, it’s as if we are one person, with one mind, one destiny”

“Sometimes you don’t even need to be in the same room for the damage to be done.” 
                                                                                       

For Real by Alison Cherry

                                                                                       

On the Fence by Kasie West

“Sometimes we expect more than people are capable of giving at the moment.”

"Is this going to change everything?" 
"I sure hope so." 
                                                                                       

2nd week: Mental Illness

The Resolution of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

“Because, in the end, I’ve realized I’m not my father. I’m simply me. And that’s enough.”

“In the existence of our lives, there are many coincidences that bring people together, but there’s only one person that will own your heart forever.”
                                                                                       

I'll Meet You There be Heather Demetrios

“Did he realize how he was sometimes able to say the perfect thing? Because if he was trying to get in my pants, it was working.”


 “Maybe all those years when Josh was running around town, acting like an idiot, he was just trying to find a way to escape. Maybe that was what all of us were doing, in our different ways.” 
                                                                                       

Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson

“I don't like being dared—it's aggressive, a trap to make people feel foolish.”

“And even if he weren't, a person can't hold on to another person forever. At some point, their muscles give out, or the authorities get called.” 
                                                                                       

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

“It's like people you see sometimes, and you can't imagine what it would be like to be that person, whether it's somebody in a wheelchair or somebody who can't talk. Only, I know that I'm that person to other people, maybe to every single person in that whole auditorium. 
To me, though, I'm just me. An ordinary kid.”

“I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.” 
                                                                                       

My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga


“Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.” 

“It’s funny how once you like someone, even the unattractive things they do somehow become endearing.”

“Anyone who has actually been that sad can tell you that there's nothing beautiful or literary or mysterious about depression.” 

3rd week: Re-reads

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

“I'm sorry," he says.
"What? Why?"
"You're fixing everything I set down." He nods at my hands, which are readjusting the elephant. "It wasn't polite of me to come in and start touching your things."
"Oh, it's okay," I say quickly, letting go of the figurine. "You can touch anything of mine you want."
He freezes. A funny look runs across his face before I realize what I've said. I didn't mean it like that.
Not that that would be so bad.”

“So what do I wish for? Something I'm not sure I want? Someone I'm not sure I need? Or someone I know I can't have?
Screw it. Let the fates decide. 
I wish for the thing that is best for me.” 
                                                                                       

Still Alice by Lisa Genova 

 “My yesterdays are disappearing, and my tomorrows are uncertain, so what do I live for? I live for each day. I live in the moment. Some tomorrow soon, I'll forget that I stood before you and gave this speech. But just because I'll forget it some tomorrow doesn't mean that I didn't live every second of it today. I will forget today, but that doesn't mean that today didn't matter.”

4th week: Conspiracies 

Vendetta by Catherine Doyle

“There is beauty everywhere; even in the dark, there is light, and that is the rarest kind of all.” 



I think this was all. Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? Are you a fellow Contemporary Conversations participant? What was the favorite book you've read for this event? 

Interested in reading my reviews of any of these? Here are all the links.

The DUFF  Wonder  Anna and the French Kiss   Don't Touch   I'll Meet You There   The Resolution of Callie and Kayden   On the Fence   For Real   I Was Here


6 comments:

  1. Wonder looks so good! I've heard a lot of great things about it. All of these quotes were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read it! I wasn't so sure about it at first but after reading the first page I was completely hooked.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quotes!I am a huge quote collector,and I have a collection of them pasted on my wall.Some of these are quite great,and makes me want to read them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge quote collector too, that's why I thought it's a nice closure to Contemporary Conversations to edit into pictures my favorite quotes from the books I've read for this event.

      Delete
  3. Lovely quotes - I love the quote of I was Here and the quotes of My Heart and Other Black Holes.
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)