Saturday, March 14

Heather Demetrios - I'll Meet You There

“Why is it that some people in the world get to wake up in beautiful houses with fairly normal parents and enough food in the fridge while the rest of us have to get by on the scraps the universe throws at us? And we gobble them up, so grateful. What the hell are we grateful for?”

If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line.

Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.






"If you could make a beautiful piece of art from discarded newspapers and old matchbooks, then it meant that everything had potential. And maybe people were like collages - no matter how broken or useless we felt, we were an essential part of the whole. We mattered."

I have to admit that I did not want to read this book until I read a lovely review of it over at Feminist Reflections. All the awesome things that Benish had to say about this book convinced me to give it a chance, and how glad I am for that! I'll Meet You There jumped right to my '2015 favorites' shelf and I'm pretty sure will be one of those books that I'll keep rereading until I can quote the most important lines. 

When I started reading I was sceptical. In my case sceptical stands for "already decided that this will be a shitty read". Which means that I was totally fishing for negative things, I went as far as starting to highlight the things I found bad. I'm glad to say I only found one that I really hated. That being said I didn't get into the book at first, or rather I didn't relate to the characters just then. I felt them strange and I couldn't understand them. Thankfully that too completely changed later. As I was reading I forgot about my problems with the characters, I forgot about my mission to hunt down every mistakes, to be exact I forgot about everything but this beautifully written, emotionally-gripping story. 

I decided to write down separately what I enjoyed and what I didn't. Let's see how that works out. 


My favorite things in the novel: 
  • The FEELS. Seriously, I went from frowning to laughing to heartbreak to a nervous breakdown and I could go on and on. 
  • How seriously mental-illness was treated. I'm no expert by far but I did found this part of the novel completely realistic. Josh didn't magically get better when they got together, nor did he was perfect by the end, but he started a path that could lead to a better and calmer future.
  • The realistic characters. I'd risk to say that this was a novel with the most real and well-developed characters I've read this year. They were messed up and I didn't understand some of their choices plus at some parts was angry at them for the said choices but I did love them all this time. 
  • The romance. No insta-love here! Slow-developed, a 100% believable love romance that left me wanting a novella of Sky and Josh in the future. 
  • The writing. This story sucked me in completely and that says a lot about how beautifully Heather Demetrious writes. 
  • The friends. Yet again they were flawed, had their own problems but in the long run both Dylan and Chris stood next to Sky and supported her, even if they couldn't completely understand her problems. I LOVED how there was absolutely no romance between Chris and Sky. In most novels the guy best friend is either gay or interested in the MC which is annoying as fuck. 
Things I disliked: 
  • How Chris and Sky insulted everyone who wanted to stay in Creek View, even though Dylan was their best friend who was happy with a simple life there. Not cool, guys, not cool.
  • Sometimes the characters crossed the line between a joke/statement and an insultment, slut-shaming for instance was a huge disappointment. 
Josh’s eyes widened. “Dylan has a kid?” I nodded, and he shook his head. “Damn. I mean, I’m not surprised, but—”
My hands stopped organizing packets. “What’s that supposed to mean?”
“Skylar, don’t get all … I’m just saying, you know, Dylan’s always liked to have a good time.”
      
      
I'll Meet You There is recommended for everyone who enjoys mental-illness books, about damaged characters. To me it was a better version of Making Faces

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4.5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5


12 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book!I am a huge fan of books that deal with mental illnesses and this book also promises a beautiful romance,so I am kinda dying to get my hands on a copy of I'll Meet You There.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it, read it read it! I'm really looking forward to seeing your thoughts on this novel. I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  2. I heard so many great things about this book, I will make sure to add it to my TBR :D Lovely Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll enjoy this novel. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. I really need to get this book soon! What's great is that it is realistic and very emotional. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're looking for those two things you'll most likely love this. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  4. The amazing reviews this book is getting is probably what is making me want to read it more and more and it's nice to hear the romance is slow-burning. I feel insta-love is taken for granted on most contemporaries now and I don't like it. Also, I wanna see how Demetrios deals with mental issues. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read this if you're looking for a slow-burning romance! Plus, I think the mental issues were treated perfectly fine, aand the characters were fantastically made too. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. Omgg yaaay I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this one as well<3 I really loved the unique concept of this plus the slow burn is amazing, glad you could relate. Beautiful review! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED this book so much!! It was so realistic and genuine. The characters and the setting felt so real! I didn't always agree with the characters choices either, but I could understand them. Josh's chapters slayed me, and I loved how Heather portrayed his PTSD and what happened to him during the war and after it. It was really raw, but realistic. And I didn't always like the insults and gossip, but it felt as real as the setting because it's so high school and small town.

    Wonderful review, Veronika! I'm so glad you gave this one a chance and that you loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book wouldn't have been the same without Josh's chapters, I loved hearing his thoughts and seeing from his POV how he felt. You're right, it really was realistic and I didn't take away a star (donut) for it but I still didn't like it.

      Thanks, Holly! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)