Monday, March 2

Erica Crouch - Ignite (Ignite #1)

"Just? No deliberate deaths are just. There's more to life than what you've been doing and maybe one day you'll see that." 


Penemuel (Pen) fell from grace over a millennium ago, yet there are still times she questions her decision to follow her twin brother, Azael, to Hell. Now that the archangel Michael has returned, threatening Lucifer’s vie for the throne, she begins questioning everything she has always believed. 

As Hell prepares for war - spreading a demonic virus and pilfering innocent souls to build an army - the lines separating the worlds blur. Fates erase and the future is left unwritten. Azael is determined that he and his sister will continue to serve as demons together, but for the first time in her life, Pen is not ruled by destiny. She has the freedom of choice.

With choice comes sacrifice, and Pen must decide which side she’s willing to risk everything fighting for: the light, or the dark.




I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel. In theory I like angel stories but I've never read one that was able to sweep me off my feet. Unfortunately, Ignite wasn't able either. While it had it's moments it wasn't something that I could completely lose myself in.

The story was interesting and had some elements that make it stand out from the standard angel novels, meanwhile more than one thing just didn't make sense to me. First off, it was said countless times that Michael's every move was watched. Then how in the hell neither one of the angels saw Pen and Michael together? And why in the hell Michael not suspected that Pen was sent to lure him into hell? But the thing that made the least sense to me was the Lilium virus. When it was first described, it sounded like something that makes people crazy, makes them zombie like because they want to bite everyone who's close to them, thus infect others. At the same time, no one realised what was happening, it never even made it to the news. Plus the guys Pen encountered were seemingly normal, cruel and terrible people, but not zombies. 

The sister-brother bond was nearly non-existent between Pen and Azael. To be honest I never understood while there should be one. Demons could not love, so how come Pen expected Azael to love her? I couldn't wrap my head around this. I wanted to feel bad for Pen for losing her brother but it was hard when I couldn't see what he was like when he still had goodness in him. 

The romance was possibly the worst thing in the novel. It was a complete insta-love. While the author tried to make a real relationship out of it, it felt flat and was so underdeveloped that I couldn't ship it. Even though there were some "deep" scenes between Michael and Pen I didn't feel any chemistry between them. To be honest, their relationship felt like it was based on them feeling like outcasts. They would have made better friends than couple, and that's a sad thing to say.


The characters were kind of one-dimensional. I couldn't relate to them and didn't find any of them exceptional. What I hated the most, though, was that they didn't feel real to me, and more than one of them didn't seem cut out for their role.

Pen is a supposed 'villain' but even when she was cutting throats and getting all excited over killing, I didn't find her evil. This was a huge problem for me because she killed hundreds, maybe thousands of people, and the thing that I couldn't see her as a villain just made me see how I couldn't understand the characters at all. On top of this, when the author tried to make us feel for Pen and slowly understand her it had no effect on me because I never felt like she was evil. Don't get me wrong, I sure as hell thought so but I think in stories like this I should feel not just think something.

Now about the illogical things the characters did. Azael didn't want anything but to be one of the most powerful demons, still he kept screwing up because he wasn't able to listen to orders or advices. I'm pretty sure after thousands of year anyone would develop the ability to do what is told if it means that they'd get what they want. Then Lucifer, who made a decision that I honestly don't get. I don't want to spoil anything but it happened close to the end so I think anyone who's read the book knows what I'm talking about.

Despite what I said I can see that this book can appeal to many people because it was quite enjoyable but you know me, I usually overthink everything and find faults where many don't. So if you are genuinely interested in the novel, and like angel romances, then go ahead and give Ignite a chance. 

Favorite character:  - 
Least favorite: - 
(Kind of neutral, huh?) 

The story idea: 3/5
The realisation of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 2/5
Enjoy factor: 3/5


Do you have a favorite angel novel?

6 comments:

  1. Uh Oh .. It's a shame this one wasn't for you - I like the premise of it, love the honest review :) x Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get over the fact that her name is Pen... Like honestly?! Last week I saw someone named "Very" in a book. Like what the heck?! I hate when authors basically state that a character is some certain way yet doesn't execute the character as such. Lovely review, sorry you didn't like it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate names like this too, but more than these I hate when a supporting characters gets an unisex name and for a while I'm left guessing if it's a boy or a girl.
      Me too, that's the worst mistake an author can make. Maybe if she didn't push how evil Pen is I'd have like her more.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. I have a huge soft spot for fallen angel stories.I am sorry you didn't like this one,but there are a lot you should try out!
    Have you read Angelfall by Susan Ee?It's a dark and gory take on angels and it's amazing!Hush Hush and Fallen are okay reads-they have mixed reviews but I liked them enough.
    And if you're interested in more intense,darker and steamier novels,then try out Gena Showalter and J.R.Ward's books.
    Great review by the way,Ronnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to read Angelfall because everyone seems to have read it and loved it. I forgot about Hush Hush, I read it and first really enjoyed the books but as the series progressed the books became worse and worse. I loved Fallen but the sequels were just meh to me, mainly the second book.
      I love Gena Showalter! And my friend keeps saying I should read a J. R. Ward novel but her series are so freaking long.
      Thank you, and thanks for the recommendations I really appreciate them! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)