Sunday, March 22

Burn, Rewrite or Re-read #1: Contemporary Romance


Burn, Rewrite or Re-Read is originally a tag but I decided I'll do various posts like this because I love these kind of things. I chose only Contemporary Romance books because I'm participating in Contemporary Conversations but I promise I'll be back with another genres very soon. So what is this thing? I chose a random contemporary romance list on Goodreads and will write out every second book I've read until I get to 15 because that's the amount I'm planning on talking about. I won't mix them or anything, just simply go in order, even if it kills me to choose between the books. Let's get started! :)

I used this list

Beautiful Disaster, The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, Pushing the Limits

BURN: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. 
WHY: I enjoyed the book when I first read it but when I thought back to Travis and what a controlling bastard he was I lowered my rating to three. Travis doesn't need a girlfriend, he needs anger management, and a good psychiatrist. Next to this, the story was at many parts forced and way too unbelievable. I didn't like either one of the characters, for that matter. 

REWRITE: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
WHY: I know that most found this book deeply emotional and just simply perfect but even though I enjoyed it a lot, I couldn't relate to the characters, they felt distant and I couldn't feel for them. Despite this the story was great and with a little change I could adore this novel. 

RE-READ: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen
WHY: I love the whole series and I'd re-read this novel any day, even though I've re-read it quite recently. The characters are all so well-made and their development is remarkable. I might not have found every book perfect, but overall this is one of my favorite contemporary series.

It's been easy so far, I hope it stays that way.  

The Fault in Our Stars, Anna and the French Kiss, Ten Tiny Breaths

Nooo, this is so hard, I can't possibly choose. I liked these three nearly the same way, they are all four star reviews... ooh this is cruel. 

BURN: Ten Tiny Breaths by K. A. Tucker
WHY: My only reason for burning this is that I couldn't burn the other two books. I really liked Ten Tiny Breaths but I can't help wondering: would I like it this much if I read it today? I honestly don't know but this is the weakest novel of the three, so I'm crying my eyes out but I'm burning it. 

REWRITE: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
WHY: I adore this novel but I really don't like how the author makes Ellie seem like a terrible person to justify St. Clair's actions. Plus I feel like all through the book everyone was protecting him, for example when Josh said that St. Clair had never lead on Meredith. While that's technically true, he did know how she felt and as her close friend, he should have straight up told her how he felt. End of rant.

RE-READ: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
WHY: I was in love with this book when I first read it but when I re-read it, it didn't impress me quite as much. I found the Hazel's inner monologues unrealistic, as well as many other things. So why re-read? I guess, I just want to feel the same way I did when I first read the book, even though I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

Crash, The Vincent Boys, Charade

These are becoming harder and harder.  

BURN: The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines
WHY: Again, a book I loved when I first read it, god knows why because the cheating in it is disgusting as hell. And yes, that is my reason for burning it. 

REWRITE: Crash by Nicole Williams
WHY: I don't remember much of this book but I gave it 5 stars so I must have loved it. Thinking back to it, it has many NA clichés and over dramatic scenes which I didn't like. Plus I think it could have been a duology because it was a bit stretched out.

RE-READ: Charade by Nyrae Dawn
WHY: This book was so freaking awesome. It was kind of a cliché with the fake-boyfriend thing but it was amazingly done. Just like all the books I've read by Dawn. Definitely re-read worthy.

While It Lasts, The DUFF, The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window 

BURN: While It Lasts by Abbi Glines
WHY: Because it was terrible. I loved this series and continued loving it afterwards but this book just didn't live up to my expectations. Plus there was a boring as hell love triangle thrown into the story and a dumb ass father. The worst thing though is that of all the characters these two got a sequel while all the fantastic ones didn't. No, just no. 

REWRITE: The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley
WHY: Overall, this novel was really good and enjoyable but there were huge clichés in it, moreover some scenes were over dramatic, illogical and really forced. Without those this book could have been much more amazing. 

RE-READ: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
WHY: I've recently finished this book but I can already see myself re-reading it. And I can't wait to watch the movie! Even though it seems completely different, it looks wonderful and so funny and the actors are all really sympathetic. 

Chain Reaction, Never Too Far, Breath

BURN: Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles
WHY: This book wasn't bad by far but it didn't live up to the other two novels in the series. After two books the maffia concept became repetitive and besides small changes it remained exactly the same. Plus Nikki was way too annoying for my taste, she had no positive thoughts and the author made it seem like she only developed when she got together with Luis, and I don't like when the girl changes only because of a guy.

REWRITE: Never Too Far by Abbi Glines
WHY: I really liked this trilogy but by the second book Rush really started to annoy me. I don't know how and what but I'd totally love some changes.

RE-READ: Breath by Abbi Glines
WHY: This was such an adorable story and the most re-read worthy from the three books, even though it wasn't perfect either. 


Have you read any of these books? Which ones would you burn, rewrite or re-read? Share with me your thoughts on your favorites/least favorites from this list. 


10 comments:

  1. Lovely Post, this is so fun to read, Thanks For sharing your thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh interesting post. I'm so glad you enjoyed The DUFF and want to reread it. I need to reread The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden too. Love her series though. Personally I would burn The Faukt in Our Stars. I read at the time but now I don't think its my sort of thing now. Or I wouldn't enjoy as much. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great book but I wish I'd read it before seeing the trailer and the actors because now I can't imagine them any other way. I nearly burnt it too but then I remembered how I adored it when I first read it, with Ten Tiny Breaths I always had problems.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't know many of the books you've listed but I agree about Anna and The French Kiss. I adored the book when I read it - I think because contemporary was what I needed at the moment - but the more I think about it, the more I see other people's point of view about St. Clair and Anna but oh well... And funny enough, I don't want to re-read The Fault. I'm pretty positive if I do that, I wouldn't love it as much as the first time so I think I'm gonna stay away from it and remember how good it was when I first read it.
    Great post Veronika! I'll be looking forward to some others about other genres =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when I have realize that my favorite book isn't as amazing as I first thought, this is true to TFiOS and Anna too. I went into re-read TFiOS thinking I'll love it just as much as I did when I first read it but it was a total disappointment. And then the movie.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. I coouldn't get into The Coincedence of Callie and Kayden and wound up DNFing it. I agree that Beautiful Disaster needs to burn... it doesn't exactly promote healthy relationships, does it? I just read TFiOS and omg it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'm sad to hear that, I found that book really awesome. It really doesn't, it's a shocker that Travis leads the best book boyfriend list an GR...

      Delete
  5. Love the idea! Although Contemporary romance isn't really my thing, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on all these books. (Of course looking forward to when ever you decide to do this again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I hope we'll have more common books in my next list, which will be 2014 Debuts.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)