Friday, March 6

Alison Cherry - For Real

“Over and over, I tell myself that I’m strong and clever and that everything’s going to turn out okay. If I think it enough times, maybe I’ll actually start believing it. Maybe I can make it true.”

No parents. No limits. No clue what they're in for.

Shy, cautious Claire has always been in her confident older sister's shadow. While Miranda's life is jam-packed with exciting people and whirlwind adventures, Claire gets her thrills vicariously by watching people live large on reality TV.

When Miranda discovers her boyfriend, Samir, cheating on her just before her college graduation, it's Claire who comes up with the perfect plan. They'll outshine Miranda's fame-obsessed ex while having an amazing summer by competing on Around the World, a race around the globe for a million bucks. Revenge + sisterly bonding = awesome.

But the show has a twist, and Claire is stunned to find herself in the middle of a reality-show romance that may or may not be just for the cameras. This summer could end up being the highlight of her life... or an epic fail forever captured on film. In a world where drama is currency and manipulation is standard, how can you tell what's for real?



For Real is an emotional but quite funny read about two sisters who couldn't be more different if they tried. Miranda is confident and outgoing, someone who's always at ease. She's always felt like she had to protect her younger sister, Claire who was shy and incredibly awkward. Now Claire isn't the same person, she's still not a party animal but she has some close friends and a quiet confidence in her. However, Miranda can't see this, she's been away a lot more than at home and to her Claire the same girl, who needs to be taken care of all the time. When they sign up for Around the World Claire doesn't only want to rebond with her sister and sabotage Samir but she plans on showing Miranda the person who she's become. Now it's only up to Miranda to see and accept Claire for who she is now. 

I love books about brothers/sisters, I'm not sure I'd actually want one but it's nice to read from a character's POV who do have one. However, sometimes these relationships are awfully portrayed. In most sibling relationship book I've read the relationship is either perfect or terrible, I was so glad when finally found a book that shows us a much realer relationship. There was a lot of misunderstanding from Miranda's part, and a lot of frustration from Claire's but one thing was sure: they loved each other to the moon and back. The most important, and best part of the novel was the sister bond between Miranda and Claire. It was so awesome to see as they learnt how to support and love each other without it becoming overwhelming, and by the end they completely understood one another. 

I don't think I've ever read a book about a reality tv show but I've always wanted to. It's great to see everyday things from a view we normally can't. I loved how Alison Cherry made us see the fakeness of reality tv, while still made sure that we saw how the producers and the participants of the show were normal people. I liked the challenges, they were all funny and creative, I wonder if these traditions are actually true or not. Might look into it now.


The romance was a bit predictable but at least not the usual contemporary unconditional love. Do not open the spoiler tab if you haven't read the novel yet because it contains a major one. 


Overall, For Real is a perfect beach read that will surely pick up your mood, recommended for people after a guy screwed them over. ;)

Favorite character: Claire
Least favorite: Samir

The story idea: 5/5
The realisation of the story: 4/5
The characters: 4/5
The cover: 5/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5

10 comments:

  1. So I've been seeing this book around a lot but after hearing not so great reviews for Red, I guess I just ignored it? Because I didn't even bother to read the synopsis and it wasn't until your review when I read it and was like OMG THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I'D REALLY LOVE BC THE AMAZING RACE IS MY FAVOURITE SHOW. Or one of my favourite shows at least so a book sorta about it? Like YES PLEASE.

    So I'm happy you ended up liking it so much! I am all for sister relationships and travelling around the world so I am definitely going to check out this book ALTHOUGH I have a feeling I will enjoy it a lot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm soo looking forward to your review of this book! It would be a five star rating actually bc it was nearly flawless but I feel like it can't live up to my other five star reads, if that even makes sense haha. Now I REALLY FREAKING HOPE you'll enjoy this. You must, so we can chat about it!

      Delete
    2. I FOUND IT ON OVERDRIVE AT MY LIBRARY SO I AM STARTING IT NOW!!!

      Delete
    3. Don't forget to tell me what you think of it as you're reading it! If you don't, I'll stalk you until you must! Haha.

      Delete
  2. Ooh yes I've heard that this one is a really good one! I was hesitant after reading so many negative things for her debut, Red, but I'll be sure to give this one a go when I find the opportunity xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reviews of Red made all of us hesitant but this book was so freaking awesome! I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  3. I've heard great things about this novel, I think I have a copy of this one lying around but I have yet to check it out - I'm happy you liked if though, I love sister bonds in books. Girl power! Great review :) Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll get around reading this and will enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I feel like I haven't been on your blog in FOREVER. I AM SORRY!! I've been so bad with commenting and visiting, and I feel just downright awful about it. BUT I AM HEREEEEE.

    Anyway, this was such a CUUUUTE story!! I adored it! This was one of my favorite sibling relationships, and I loved that the author portrayed it so realistically. It wasn't perfect, and they fought as well as stood strong together. It was very reminiscent of real-life sibling relationships. I just, I was kind of hoping this would have been in dual POV, but I understand why it wasn't. I think it was more about Claire's story and her journey.

    It's funny that you said the romance was predictable, because I was COMPLETELY surprised by it! I guess I just wanted it to turn out differently, ya know? But I'm glad this didn't go in the direction I thought and I was all about that girl power! :) Also, I really liked the reality show aspect, which I thought I wouldn't.

    Awesome review, Veronika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad about it! Sometimes I got behind on commenting and visiting sites too.
      I didn't think about dual POV because as you said it was Claire's story but seeing Miranda's thoughts would have been amazing. She was a very different character and sometimes I didn't understand her but again that would have taken away from Claire's POV and I wouldn't have liked that either.

      I hated the guy, ever since they met with him and he reeked of bullshit. But I get what you're saying, there were many parts where I wished he would turn out to be a good guy in the end. This was a better way to end the story, though.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)