Thursday, February 12

Richelle Mead - The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines #6)

“I told you before, we’re the center,” she said. “And the center will hold.”


The epic conclusion to Richelle Mead's New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series is finally here...

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

After their secret romance is exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi in this electrifying conclusion to Richelle Mead’s New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series. When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world.





I'm not sure how I feel about The Ruby Circle. I finished it in one seat but not because it was an edge of your seat novel, rather because I wanted to finally get to see Sydney and Adrian's happy ending. That said, I do know that I had huge expectations and was prepared to let myself completely be blown away, so me not liking this novel might be thanked to that I wanted a bit too much. Can you blame me, though? The blurb makes it sound like everything, and I mean everything, will be solved but in the end I just sat there wanting more. 

My first, and worst problem with The Ruby Circle was how it wasn't exciting. I'm not sure what made these books become less and less exciting but something did, and I'm not happy. Logically, I should find the last three books more intriguing than the first three because much bigger things happened, but for some reason they failed to pull me in the way I wanted them to. I was really looking forward to the epilogue but again, I had to be disappointed. It didn't add anything to the story, plus I had a huge problem with it: it wasn't Sydney who gave us the conclusion I was waiting for. I do love Adrian but everything started with Sydney and it would have been nice to see their ending through her eyes. She changed drastically throughout these six books, more than most characters I've read about, and she should have got the chance to close their story.

Another bad thing was that some things were only added to the story to generate either conflicts or surprisement between the characters. Like Randall. Honestly, was that necessary? More so because after a few pages no one cared about what they learnt, certainly not Dimitri. A thing I've realised in the previous book is how the author only uses the side effects of spirit when it's needed in the story. Surprisingly, Adrian's condition never worsens when the plot is already thick.

I'd been in love with their romance before. Honestly, Sydrian was even a bigger ship of mine than Maxon and America and that, my friend, is an enormous thing. But now their romance became a bit boring too. Adrian kept thinking how he can see 'the love on Sydney's face' and next to this there were other repetitive things too. And let's just not say anything about how little they actually communicated. 

For a long time I found this series much better written than VA but after finishing the whole series I'm not sure that's true anymore. For one, the relationship of Rose and Dimitri feels so much stronger now that I look back. You might already know this but I'll say it out: I think Sydney and Adrian rushed into a lot of things. A year ago they didn't know each other and look at them by the end of the last book. 


Some of our beloved characters didn't even reappear in The Ruby Circle. While Trey, Eddie and even Jill managed to be in small parts of the book, Angeline was only mentioned like... twice. These characters all have influenced the story in a lot of ways so why couldn't they have a decent role in the end? While some things I asked for happened, particularly I'm talking about Marcus, I was sad to see that the author mostly stick to telling through others what'd happened with the supporting characters.

As you could read in my review of Silver Shadows, I'm not a huge fan of Adrian's POV. Shocking, huh? I had to be disappointed in him because of more than one thing that happened in the previous book but I thought he would redeem himself in The Ruby Circle. Well, he didn't. And for some reason since his POV was added I feel myself farther from the characters than before. I know that seeing his point of view was necessary in a lot of cases but I wish Mead would have sticked to female POV because that's what she's good at. I feel like after these terrible things I should mention that Adrian is just as swoon-worthy as he was before, and he can totally make you forget his faults in a minute. 


"I don't regret anything we've faced. Being with you is the best thing that's ever happened to me, the one perfect decision I've made in a lifetime of fumbling and poor judgment. I'd go through it all again to be by your side. Never doubt that. Never doubt how I feel about you."

Sydney was great as usual, but for some reason I felt like her presence was much smaller than Adrian's in this book. I felt sorry for her because clearly re-education still haunts her but I found it a bit forced that Mead only showed this to us in one scene. And they still didn't talk about it with Adrian, at least that's what I gathered because a month went by between the two books.

As I look back at my review I see how negative it looks like but The Ruby Circle did have it's awesome moments. It wasn't as funny as the previous books but it was clear that most characters grew a lot throughout these six books. 

Favorite character: Sydney
Least favorite: -

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 3/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 1/5
Enjoy factor: 3/5



Have you ever been disappointed in the conclusion of one of your beloved series? 

9 comments:

  1. It's so scary to read the conclusion to a series you love. What if you spent all this time bonding with characters and the Author lets you down? Which is what seems happened for you, and that just sucks...
    I read the VA books and really liked them. As for this series I only read book one, I liked it but I just haven't gotten around to finishing the series.
    Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so scared of last novels, a badly written conclusion can ruin the whole series for me, and I love re-reading so that sucks a lot for me. I'm glad you liked VA, I still do recommend to continue the series. Many people seem to love it so maybe the problem is with me? I honestly don't know.
      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. AWW NO :( I've been waiting on the final book for a while now .. I do hope it's as amazing as the rest of series. I'm disappointed that you couldn't enjoy it as much .. Let's how it goes! Thanks for sharing :)

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really hope that you'll like it more than I did, I know what a terrible feeling it is when you have to be disappointed in a long awaited novel. :)

      Delete
  3. NOOO!I want to cry after reading your review,Ronnie.
    Richelle Mead,how can you do this to us?????
    I am a huge fan of this series and
    Sydrian is my OTP forever.So when I learn that the conclusion isn't up to expectations,I want to burst into tears!
    And the cover!Why does this series have to have these horrible covers?This one's even worse than Fiery Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I trusted in her and then she gave me this! How could she do this to us? :( Mine too but in this book I shipped Dimitri and Rose more. Can you believe that? So sad.
      I honestly don't know! This is such a famous series so why the hell can't it have better covers. This is the worst one by far.

      Delete
  4. I agree with everything you 100%
    I thought it was just me that was disappointed
    I don't like the turn out of Sydney and Adrian's relationship
    Its completely ruined for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't get why Richelle Mead felt the need to go so over the top. A happily ever after is alright but this was waaay too much for a YA characters, I mean Sydney's only 19! Even after all this it's not completely ruined for me but I'm really disappointed.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I know what you mean. It feels like she was just writing to get done with the book fast. I even forgot Sydney's that young. I wish I felt that way. I really didn't enjoy it. I don't think I'd read it again :/

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)