Sunday, January 11

K. A. Tucker - Burying Water (Burying Water #1)

"The truth is like that water: it doesn't matter how hard you try to bury it; it'll always find some way back to the surface. It's resilient."

Left for dead in the fields of rural Oregon, a young woman defies all odds and survives—but she awakens with no idea who she is, or what happened to her. Refusing to answer to “Jane Doe” for another day, the woman renames herself “Water” for the tiny, hidden marking on her body—the only clue to her past. Taken in by old Ginny Fitzgerald, a crotchety but kind lady living on a nearby horse farm, Water slowly begins building a new life. But as she attempts to piece together the fleeting slivers of her memory, more questions emerge: Who is the next-door neighbor, quietly toiling under the hood of his Barracuda? Why won’t Ginny let him step foot on her property? And why does Water feel she recognizes him?

Twenty-four-year-old Jesse Welles doesn’t know how long it will be before Water gets her memory back. For her sake, Jesse hopes the answer is never. He knows that she’ll stay so much safer—and happier—that way. And that’s why, as hard as it is, he needs to keep his distance. Because getting too close could flood her with realities better left buried.

The trouble is, water always seems to find its way to the surface.








I thoroughly enjoyed the Ten Tiny Breaths series by K. A. Tucker so it's not a wonder that I wanted to read Burying Water as soon as I heard about it. I didn't just want to love this book but I was sure I'll love it so when it turned out the exact other way I was disappointed.

I usually love dual POVs because it helps a lot to understand better the main character(s) but in this case it was the very thing that ruined everything for me. Water had amnesia which of course changes a person but I felt like she wasn't anything like the girl she had been before. I wanted to see bits and pieces of the girl she was but despite the few memories/feelings from her pasts that were casually thrown in I was thoroughly disappointed. The past was told us only be Jesse so I never quite caught Water's old personality. 

I felt like the story was way too unbelievable. Things like Russian mob were casually threw in and let's not forget about all the random things that Tucker only used when she needed them. Spoiler: For instance Viktor was a control freak and there was not a chance that he would let Water stay home all alone without anyone watching her or realising that she wasn't there anymore. But of course no one realised that she particularly lived at Jesse's for days because this was important for the story. Or that Viktor had a car accident when it was necessary for the story. End of spoiler.

After reading the blurb I was a 100% sure that Jesse is the one who is to blame for whatever happened to Water but he had nearly nothing to do with it so then why the hell didn't he approach Water and told her what happened? If he loved her so much why didn't he told her that there are people out there who care about her well-being? I'm sure Water would have understood that they can't be together but she wouldn't have felt so alone if she'd known that she was loved.

The romance not once made me swoon. It wasn't a total insta-love but it was pretty close to it. I couldn't see the relationship development and to be honest I didn't see their love as something huge that will remain strong for the rest of their lives. 

The characters were well-made but they were all just pretty clichés put together. The thing I'd always loved in Tucker novels was that I could connect to even those characters who I had nothing in common with whilst in Burying Water I couldn't even understand most of the characters. 

On one hand Jesse was a supposed good guy but on the other hand he didn't object when Water wanted to have sex with him to prove a point. I couldn't understand anything he did, sometimes I felt like he couldn't understand himself either. His friendship with Boone remains a mystery to me. At first they didn't even seem like real friends but then Boone suddenly became Jesse's confidant. What? 

His parents and sister annoyed me to hell. I couldn't shake off the feeling that they were nothing but showcase people even though they all had some great characteristics. I was mad at them for treating Jesse poorly and I feel like no one tried to understand why he would try to prove to the other kids that he was more than the sheriff's  son. Jesse was a good person and they should have stopped bringing up the past and just simply be glad that their son turned out as a remarkable person.

I can see that I'm being a little hard on this book but I'm just so disappointed right now that I can't help it. I'm still going to read the next book though because Boone seems like an interesting character. 

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 3/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 3/5



Have you ever had to be disappointed in an author's novel whose previous works you loved? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)