Friday, January 2

Bookish Awards: Best of 2014


Hello dearies. Today I'm here with my favorite books and authors of 2014. Why am I not participating in the End of Year's Book Survey like nearly everyone else? Because by the time I heard about that survey this post was half done and I don't like working for nothing so in the end I'm posting my own bookish awards, or call it whatever. 
Hope you'll enjoy it. 

Click on the titles for the review.

Favorite New To Me Author: 
Holly Black author of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Favorite Debut Author:
Jennifer Mathieu, author of The Truth About Alice

Favorite Standalone: 
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Favorite Sequel:
Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer

Favorite Start of a Series:
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Favorite Re-Read Book: 
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Favorite Thought-Provoking Book:
The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

Favorite Slow-Paced Book: 
The Fall by Bethany Griffin

Favorite Character Driven Novel:
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Favorite Short Story or Anthology: 
The Little Android by Marissa Meyer

A Book With An Ending That Caught Me By Total Surprise:
Unravel by Calia Read

Biggest Surprise: 
The Merciless by Danielle Vega

Hidden Gem:
You Are Mine & Mine to Spell (Mine #1 & 2) by Janeal Falor

A Book I Don't Know What To Think About: 
Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre

A Book I Thought I'd Love but I Haven't
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

A Book That Could Have Been Amazing But It Wasn't
Forget Me by K. A. Harrington

Biggest Disappointment: 
Ashes to Ashes (Burn for Burn #3) by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

The Boringest Book:
Dead Girl Walking by Ruth Silver

Worst Sequel: 
City of Heavenly Fire (TMI #6) by Cassandra Clare

Worst Standalone: 
(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

Worst Start of a Series:
Bully (Fall Away #1) by Penelope Douglas

Now about the characters...

Best Character Development:

Sara from Tease by Amanda Maciel 

Favorite Female Character: 

Sydney from The Bloodlines series

Favorite Male Character:

Maxon from The Selection Series

Favorite Supporting Characters:

Zuzana and Mik from The Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy

Biggest Ships (I just can't choose one):

Adrian and Sydney from The Bloodlines series
America and Maxon from The Selection series
Cress and Thorne from Cress
(Reviews of: Cinder and Scarlet)
Gansey and Blue from The Raven Cycle series



Stupidest Character:

Olivia from Finding Olivia by Micalea Smeltzer

Most Annoying Character:

Nan from One More Chance by Abbi Glines

Worst Best Friend:

K. C. from Bully by Penelope Douglas

and the covers...

The Most Beautiful Cover:

These Broken Stars by Amy Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

The Most Fitting Cover:
Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Worst Cover:
Rush Too Far by Abbi Glines

Favorite Redesigned Cover:


From this:
Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Comes these two: 

Finally a bit about movies... 

Favorite Book To Movie Adaptation:
If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Worst Book To Movie Adaptation:
Divergent by Veronica Roth



These were my favorite books of 2014. What are yours? Do any of mine made your list too? 

Thanks for stopping by. :)

20 comments:

  1. Wow I really like your choices. I have many on my TBR. I hope to read them this year. Thanks for posting.
    Eduardo @ BoomingBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll end up loving all of those books. :)

      Delete
  2. Great choices! I really love Sydney and Adrian and America and Maxon <3 I can't wait to read The Heir and The Ruby Circle! I absolutely LOVED the If I Stay adaption, it was just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Best movie adaptation I've seen in a while. It was wonderful to hear the music the book couldn't show us.

      Delete
  3. If I Stay was a great book to movie adaption, it really kept the plot of the book the same. I though that divergent was a good movie, however the book and movie were not that similar. I dove into the Anna and the French Kiss series this year, and I really did love the first book, it was really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that we could hear the music and that the characters were perfect fits! I really hated Divergent but partly that can be thanked to the fact that I dislike Shailene Woodley, I don't have any special reason I just do haha. Yes! Anna and the French Kiss is the book I pick up when I'm in need of a happy contemporary read.

      Delete
  4. Like this post very much, tho I disagree in some, but its ok. I have been thinking in reading Dangerous Girls, but haven't thought much about it, do you recommend it? Plus, it has a beautiful cover now. I did the End of the Year Survey if you want to see (here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! :) Yes I'D recommend Dangerous Girls to anyone who is even a tiny bit intrigued by the blurb. Even if you are not into Mystery (I wasn't when I read it) I'm nearly sure you'll love it! Such a greatly written, twisted story. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of books! I have read a lot of those and I agree with some of your decisions. What an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!You are a Sydrian shipper! *high fives* I love those two to death.They have such a beautiful love,don't they?
    We were liars just blew me away.It was so heartbreaking and amazing.
    Zuzana is so cute!I love her scenes.Such a fresh character in a book so intense and complicated.
    Don't let me start about Nan.She already did enough to ruin Rush's love life,now she's back to ruin Grant's.That girl is one of the least likable characters I've ever read about.
    Is Divergent that bad?I haven't seen the movie yet,but I really want to.

    Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH *accepts high give*. They make the perfect couple and I can't freaking wait for The Ruby Circle because I want to see an ending that leave ALL the characters at a happy place haha.
      I've just commented on your review of We Were Liars, right before I saw your comment here lol.
      IKR? And now Abbi Glines wants us to feel sympathy toward Nan and freaking believe that she isn't a bad person she just pretends to be. I'd buy that if she wasn't a bitch to Rush too who always took care of her and put her before everyone else. Duh... I don't think I'll be continuing the series because Bethy's annoying as hell too. BTW, I'm not sure about you, but Tripp isn't sympathetic to me either.
      I'm the minority, most people love Divergent, though I don't know why. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it too! :)

      Delete
  7. The Winner's Curse - I totally 100% agree. Freaking loved that book and I want The Winner's Crime so freaking baddddd. LIKE I MUST FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS TO KESTREL AND ARIN

    The Truth About Alice - yes, this book was so thought provoking! I never think during books so it's an amazing feat when a book even gets me to think let alone as much as The Truth About Alice did!

    Ashes to Ashes - Oh Veronika... you know how I feel about this book... I don't know if it was my biggest disappointment but it's up there. Like I didn't hate it but shit is this dumb and an assholey thing to say but I WOULD HAVE LOVED IT SO MUCH MORE IF THINGS WENT OUR WAYYY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Winner's Curse was one of my favorite books this year, it was sooo wonderful. Aaand I got The Winner's Crime from Netgalley so I'll be reading it soon, VERY SOON. They HAVE TO BE TOGETHER. Honestly, I don't care what happens with the whole world until they are together haha.

      Yes, it was like I knew that most of the main characters weren't good people but I could still see why they acted that way. Really made me think about human personality.

      No it isn't! Our way was a 100 times better than the original ending. I'm still sooo mad. And sad.

      Delete
  8. Yay! End of the Year post! These are my favorite posts...

    Holly Black is amazing...I'm a huge fan of hers. Her Curseworkers & Modern Faerie series are amazing. The Winner's Curse won my Best Start of a Series award, too! I've been seeing the cover of The Fall around and it looks intriguing...

    Yay Sydney!!! She's such a great heroine. Smart & brave & inadvertently funny. Like when she wanted to fold Marcus' laundry when she broke into his apartment. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too! I can learn so much about a blogger's taste in books from them.

      I haven't read her fairy series because I've heard mixed things about it but now I'm intrigued enough to check it out again. The Fall is FANTASTIC. Well, it's not for everyone, to be honest most people didn't enjoy it all that much but I, for one loved it!

      I adore Sydney so much! One of the most realistic and amazing YA Fantasy heroines out there.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, with the faerie books, you can just skip the second one, which was a completely different story set in the same world as the first and third one. The first & third one have the same characters & continue the storyline, aka, just read those ones, ahaha. Also, Holly Black has quotes in the beginning of her 3rd book & they're really unique & tie-in well with the chapters.

      Delete
    3. This sounds fantastic! To be honest I'm not a huge fan of fairies but there are some fairy books I loved. I hope I'll enjoy this series as well. Thanks for telling me it's awesome. :)
      BTW I love when there are quotes in a book! :)

      Delete
  9. Cress was one of my favorite books this year too! I actually read all three books this year and I think Scarlet was my favorite so far. Can't wait for Winter! :D Definitely love the Cress and Thorne ship. Their opposite personalities make them so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all of them this year too, my favorite was Cress and I'm really looking forward to Winter. But it's still sooo far away. Cress is like the most adorable heroine ever and they are seriously too cute together. I love Cinder & Kai and Scarlet & Wolf too but Cress & Thorne top them off.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)