Friday, January 23

Ann Aguirre - Mortal Danger (Immortal Game #1)

"Hateful words had a way of worming beneath the skin, until they became the unbearable echo in your head. But I wasn’t listening anymore."

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Edie Kramer has a score to settle with the beautiful people at Blackbriar Academy. Their cruelty drove her to the brink of despair, and four months ago, she couldn't imagine being strong enough to face her senior year. But thanks to a Faustian compact with the enigmatic Kian, she has the power to make the bullies pay. She's not supposed to think about Kian once the deal is done, but devastating pain burns behind his unearthly beauty, and he's impossible to forget.

In one short summer, her entire life changes, and she sweeps through Blackbriar, prepped to take the beautiful people down from the inside. A whisper here, a look there, and suddenly... bad things are happening. It's a heady rush, seeing her tormentors get what they deserve, but things that seem too good to be true usually are, and soon, the pranks and payback turns from delicious to deadly. Edie is alone in a world teeming with secrets and fiends lurking in the shadows. In this murky morass of devil's bargains, she isn't sure who—or what--she can trust. Not even her own mind...




To be honest I have no idea what to think about this book, I'd take it as far that I don't remember ever being this torn over any other book. At first everything started off amazingly, better than I expected, I should say. Ann Aguirre is one of those authors who can convey feelings perfectly. I felt for Edie and could connect to her easily, even though I had never encountered with such cruel bullying as she had.

Edie's about to end her life when Kian appears and offers her a deal: he'll fulfill Edie's three wishes and in exchange she'll only have to do three tasks, one for each wish. I'm sure Edie's first wish, to be beautiful, doesn't surprise anyone. Obviously people would question how Edie changed completely in a day so she goes to spend the summer at a camp where her only task is to get used to being gorgeous. 

Edie had absolutely no self-esteem, she stuttered, she was ashamed to be seen. Then five minutes after she became beautiful she's confident and picks up a random guy just because she can. This was stupid and wrong on so many levels. Beauty is important but not everything, you can be real pretty and still have no confidence and young girls don't need to be told that beauty solves everything and is the only thing that matters on the long run. Another thing is that Edie was tortured and shamed for years but when she became beautiful the popular kids easily accepted her as one of their own. This was way too unrealistic for my taste.

Edie merges into the popular clique for one reason: to take revenge. However as she gets to know these people better, she realizes there's more to them than what shows on the surface. I love books that show us that all of us are more than we seem at first sight. That said I hated how this topic was treated in Mortal Danger. Everyone, even the guy who did unthinkable things to Edie, was secretly a great person. I call bullshit. Plus here's the thing: most of these people seemed nice after Edie got to know them, one or two even apologised and they meant it which I find unlikely. Nice people won't freaking enjoy treating someone like garbage, they might go along with it because they are scared to stop the bullies, but they sure as hell won't start the whole thing.


"A dark part of me would love to see them all broken. Not just humiliated, but destroyed."

I'm sad to say that I didn't like the romance at all. I Want It That Way and As Long As You Love Me were both realistic (NA) love stories so I was sure Aguire will be able to create a wonderful YA romance. I felt no true connection between Edie and Kian and felt like the author tried way too hard not to sell it as an insta-love, while it pretty much was one.

At first the plot was really interesting but I found Edie's time at camp boring and, as I mentioned, unrealistic. After she went back home the story pick up where it left off, and yet again I found myself invested in the story. Unfortunately, soon I lost my interest. I wouldn't exactly call the storyline boring but it wasn't able to keep me fully entertained which is a shame.


"Exhaling, I turned, started at a glimpse of myself in the mirror, then smiled in relief. My reflection did not smile back." 

The characters weren't what I'd call well-made. As I said above Edie's character went through an enormous change in one day, which was completely unbelievable. Kian was a nice enough character but I wouldn't list him as a swoon-worthy guy. And let's not even talk about Edie's parents. I felt like every character was okay but nothing special.

All considered I found Mortal Danger enjoyable but not well-crafted enough for my taste. One thing is for sure, I'll be continuing the series in the future.

Favorite character: - 
Least favorite: Edie's parents 

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 2.5/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 5/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5



Have you ever encountered an author whose book(s) you loved but then were disappointed in other works of him/her?

8 comments:

  1. It's always annoying when unrealistic standards are thrown into books with realistic situations. I can see your point where it's hard to believe that the clique suddenly changes as soon as Edie joins. Plus, indicating to girls that beauty is what matters through Edie getting the random guy is only promoting gender stereotypes and doesn't help much. I agree with you.

    I have read books from some authors that I liked, and others from the same author I disliked. For instance, I loved the first three-ish books of James Patterson's Witch and Wizard series, but once I got to the fourth book the plot was kind of lost on me. The heroes fought out of people to fight, making the story unnecessarily dragged out.

    Great review, Veronika:D

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO mad at the author. I'm sure this wasn't her intention but I still expected something more from her because her NA novels are fantastic. In those books the characters are way more than what they seem like at first sight, and it's portrayed realistically.

      I heard so many awesome things about Patterson but to be honest the few books I've read from him weren't really great. But maybe I just read the wrong books. I HATE when a series is stretched out even after everything is solved. Some of my favorite series were ruined for me because of this.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, so this is going to be a trilogy, which each wish being one book, then? I'll be honest, I've only seen the cover of this book and, by the cover, I thought it would be about an assassin or something. To see it reduced down to a "fairy godmother" tale with a girl with self-esteem issues is, to say the least, depressing. I expected something with a little more substance. I think I'll skip this one.

    Despite the book, though, your review was lovely! =)

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie's already used more than one wish so the other books would rather be about her doing the tasks in exchange of her wishes. At least that's what I think. Despite not being an assassin story this story had the potential of being badass but both the characters and the plot failed my expectations.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. That's such a shame that this book didn't live up to its potential. I mean as you know I loved her NA series and you need to read the last one Veronika. That was amazing. I have been meaning to read this one because of her other series, but I think I may stick with her NA so far... Great honest review, Veronika! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to finally read Max and Courtney's story, I really liked both of these characters. If you want to try YA novel by Ann Aguirre maybe you should consider reading Razorland series, I heard it's much better than Mortal Danger.
      Thanks, Emma! :)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely agree with your observations! I totally found it unrealistic when Edie suddenly felt so confident about herself after being turned beautiful. When someone is bullied for years and have undergone depression for as long as Edit had, change like that doesn't come overnight. It takes TIME, a LONG time even, for a person to even realize their self-worth, because in the beginning, they will still usually have some doubts. I hated that her change happened with no development whatsoever. It only felt random and forced! :( And yes, that romance was... *shudder* I don't even want to think about it.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I hate the message of this book. Beauty can help tons to gain self-confidence but it won't do all the work that's for sure. I was so disappointed because her NA novels are so much more realistic. That romance had no freaking development! And sorry to say but even though it was told again and again that Kian is super-sexy I didn't find him swoon-worthy at all. Meh, just meh.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)