Thursday, December 11

Wendy Higgins - Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1)

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

 






I'm sure most of you've encountered at least one book in your life that you didn't enjoy at all but you were sure if you'd read it, let's say four years sooner, you'd have loved it. That is Sweet Evil to me. Technically Sweet Evil isn't worse than most of the books I gave 5 star ratings at that time but at the same time I found many parts of it cringe-worthy. Let's just say Sweet Evil is not my cup of tea but it can easily be yours. 

Sweet Evil felt like a collection of YA Paranormal clichés mixed together. From the 'twists' to the character everything felt unoriginal. I wouldn't call this book predictable because there was nothing to predict. The plot was boring and simple just as much as the characters. The romance wasn't quite insta-love but it was a close call and (drum roll) a love-triangle freshly prepared for the second novel.

Sweet Evil is not the novel where the characters clever and/or wise thoughts make up for the lack of action. There are some books where the authors are able to make a character's inner thoughts authentic to their  young age while giving them meaningful things to say. Higgins tried to accomplish this but failed miserably. I just can't believe that a girl who'd think this:

“He was smoking hot. As in H-O-T-T, hott. I’d never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra t. This guy was extra-t-worthy.”   

would have random wise thoughts like this:

“The beauty of poetry is that it can mean different things to different people at different times.” 
No, just no. 

Maaaybe I'm a bit biased on this topic because to be honest I hated the main character Anna. She was everything a YA Mary Sue should be and even more!  She was annoying, whiny, selfish and childish as fuck, it was simply painful to read her POV. Being innocent and a good girl does not make it okay to be naive as hell, it just doesn't, okay? There's nothing wrong with crying and showing your feelings but pretty please can you not cry in every second chapter? 

Kaiden was everything the typical YA bad boys are. He was moody, lonesome, a jackass and obviously sexy too. Oh, and did I mentioned that he played in a rock band? Creative, huh? If Anna made a big show of making sure everyone know how sensitive she was then Kaidan made a big show of acting like a jerk. And again, we saw the "you're too good for me" cliché. So nice.

Sorry but this just does not appeal to me:

"So that's it, then?" he asked. I ignored him. "I always wondered what it would feel like."
That made me curious enough to turn to him.
"What what would feel like?" I asked.
"Rejection." He seemed in the midst of a revelation.
"What are you saying? That no girl has ever told you no?"
"Not one."

I always found books where the family has an important role refreshing. Of course mostly I'm referring to YA or MG books because in these the characters nearly always live with their parents. Considering this you'd think I loved the relationship of Anna and Patti or Anna and her dad. I'm sad to say that I felt no depth to any of the relationships. Patti and Anna were always saying how much they loved each other and I'm ashamed to say that it was way too cheesy for my taste. Then the dad. He was a good guy but then why the hell didn't he try to contact Anna and tell her what she was?  

Some parts of the novel didn't make sense to me. On one hand the Dukes controlled everything they did, I mean Kai's father sometimes told him who to have sex with but at the same time he let Kaidan go for a week long journey without a second thought. Kaidan played in a band... why? Because it's hot? It really didn't have any connections to the story, at least none that couldn't have been changed to something that made more sense.

All considered I'd recommend it to those who aren't yet tired of the YA character stereotypes. I can particularly see myself a few years before fangirling over Kaidan and loving Anna. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm so much wiser now than I was four or three years before but I read more than 400 books since then which changed what I like to read. 

Favorite character: - 
Least favorite: Anna, Kope

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 3/5 - pretty but has no connection to the story whatsoever. 
Enjoy factor: 2/5


Have you ever felt like you might have liked a book more if you'd read it sooner? 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I get what you're saying. I've read a few YA books that were TOO YA for me and I know that if I would have read it before (a few years ago actually), I would have enjoyed them a lot more but what can you do? Everybody says this book is like crack or something because it is so addictive and I wanna read it for myself basically because I own it and it's gonna happen but I know what to expect now. Thanks for the review ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelia bought it so now she has to read it, hahahaha.

      Delete
    2. Haha you're in the same situation as I was! I had this book for more than a year when I finally give in and read it, so believe me when I say I understand you. Maybe now that you don't expect much you won't be that disappointed? I'm not sure though because reading this was dreadful for me.

      Delete
  2. That's so interesting, not liking a book now as opposed to when you were younger... I don't know if that's happened to me yet. I do wonder if I would like the Twilight books now...since, when I read them, I was 16. And I'm turning 26 in October. That's 10 years!!! Crazy.

    Anyway, everything you said about this book makes me weary of reading it, haha. I mean, that inner monologue of H-O-T-T is cringe-worthy. Also, I paused at, "Kaidan's father sometimes told him who to have sex with." What is this book?? HAHAHA.

    Anyway, great review, Veronika. I think I'll pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about Twilight a lot too. I've reread the books and still enjoyed them but that was still at the time when I enjoyed super-cheesy and predictable books so I'm not sure what I'd think of it now. lol
      This story was simply not for me. I miiight have left out some things from my review to avoid spoilers but well here is the reason why Kaidan's father can tell him who to have sex with. It's not an actual spoiler so you can still read it :P
      Kaidan is the son of the duke of Lust so his job is to have sex with women. And he feels the need to... do it. Anna is the same only with drugs and alcohol. I wouldn't call myself a prude but I think this book was a bit too detailed for a YA. I mean do you think that a the son of the duke of Lust who describes his desires and thinks about sex all the time is an appropriate male lead thus fictional crush for younger readers? Because 12 year olds do read these books. Honestly the only thing this book lacked to be NA was the real sex scenes (and possibly more mature characters). Sorry to freak out on you but I just don't feel like this is a typical YA topic.

      Delete
    2. Whaaat? I agree, that doesn't sound like YA. That sounds like a hardcore romance novel or erotica. & it's like selling "sex" to young readers, which isn't how sex should be handled in YA, EVER. Yikes.

      Wendy Higgins recently updated her post on "The Rich Author Myth", which I found intriguing, since it talks about how much her books sold for, etc. I thought maybe you'd be interested in it, since you just read her first book: http://www.wendyhigginswrites.com/2014/12/the-rich-author-myth-money-post-revamped.html

      Delete
    3. I know! And I read a few scenes from the next books in the series at my friends' whose sister has the whole trilogy and it will only get more sexual. While I don't think it's hardcore or anything it might be for a 12 year old.

      I'm looking forward to reading this post, thanks for the heads-up! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)