Monday, December 29

Ann Aguirre - As Long As You Love Me (2B Trilogy #2)

"Maybe friendship didn’t have one concrete definition, one certain way to be; maybe it was enough to love somebody however they let you and for the pieces to click in, however felt right."

Most people dream about getting out of Sharon, Nebraska, but after three years away, Lauren Barrett is coming home. She has her reasons; missing her family, losing her college scholarship. But then there's the reason Lauren can't admit to anyone: Rob Conrad, her best friend's older brother.

Football prowess and jaw-dropping good looks made Rob a star in high school. Out in the real world, his job and his relationships are going nowhere. He's the guy who women love and leave, not the one who makes them think of forever; until Lauren comes back to town, bringing old feelings and new dreams with her.

Because the only thing more important than figuring out where you truly belong is finding the person you were meant to be with.




I loved I Want It That Way a lot but I think As Long As You Love Me topped it off just a bit. The writing was better, the plot was more interesting and the characters were completely real and relatable. Ann Aguirre is an author who writes NA Romances without the usual cliché characters, like the bad boy or the innocent girl and God I love her for this. 

The characters were completely different from what I expected. I wasn't a huge fan of Lauren in I Want It That Way. I hated how she wouldn't tell anything to Nadia and how she hurt Max and I wasn't sure I'd be able to like her even if she had tons of redeeming characteristics. And then there was Rob who I knew close to nothing about. As I get to know these two characters I realised that they're much deeper than I thought at first sight.

I could feel for Lauren completely because I know what a difficulty speaking up in a huge company can be. Something else we might just all know is how hard it is not to feel ashamed when things that are easy for others are nearly impossible for you. Rob was such a sweet and caring guy, he should be an example of a dream boyfriend. He had a hard time believing in himself because no one ever told him how amazing he is, which is something that everyone should hear in their lives. 

Both Lauren and Rob's character developed a lot throughout the novel. By the end Lauren was able to be more open with the people who she could count on, like Rob or Nadia and learnt that her problems aren't something to be ashamed of. Rob learnt to appreciate his good qualities and started to believe that he's worthy of other people's love. 


“I wish you’d told me.” Nadia sounded choked up, and I could imagine the way she’d be curled up, arms around her knees. She drew in like a turtle when she was hurting.
“I just wanted to be normal,” I whispered. (Lauren)
“That’s...nobody. It’s a myth.”

Seeing Lauren and Rob's relationship develop was the best thing ever. It was obvious that these two had feelings towards each other but neither one of them thought they had a chance. The romance was slow-developed and gave me all the feels, it was impossible not to root for Lauren and Rob because they fit together perfectly.

Not everyone is what they seem like at first sight and everyone have reasons for acting they way they do. Ann Aguirre did a perfect of showing us this in As Long As You Love Me.

In I Want It That Way I loved Nadia's family but now I'm not so sure. I hate when parents act different with their children or when they put one on piedestal while they leave the other thinking he's not good for anything. And that is exactly what this family did. I was so mad at them and I hated how it was pointed out on many occasions that they aren't clever because they didn't go to uni. So what? Many people don't or can't go but that doesn't make them any less precious and your parents are the first two people who should tell you that no matter what you're AWESOME. 

I recommend this book to those who want to read about realistic characters and realistic problems. 

Favorite characters: Rob, Lauren
Least favorites: Rob's parents

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 4.5/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5



Who's your favorite male character who isn't a 'bad boy'?

4 comments:

  1. This is so true! I remember being so, so shy in High School, not being able to speak in front of large audiences and oftentimes freezing midway, and being in awe of others who find it so easy. I'm glad to see that such insecurities and frustrations are tackled in here :) I'm not like that anymore and have built my confidence, but it would be nice to see how it would be handled here. Same with the parents, too!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book came in the best possible moment for me because lately I've read many books with full of cliché characters and stereotypes, meanwhile neither Rob nor Lauren was a typical NA character. I'm glad the NA genre is starting to stretch its borders.

      Delete
  2. Gahhh this romance sounds amazing!! I love when it develops so slowly and so well, I NEED to root for these two ;) Great review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really awesome! I'm so glad that the NA genre is starting to grow and leave its character clichés behind.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)