Sunday, November 9

L. A. Rose - James Games

“People don’t need to be strong enough to face reality,” I finish. “They need to be strong enough to understand that reality might be different from what they’ve always been taught. And that doesn’t have to be a bad thing.”

Every year, the girls of Phi Delta Chi, Fiona Arlett’s dream sorority, hold a competition.

The prize?

James Reid, king size bar of eye candy and famous actor turned haughty undergrad.

The rules?

No girl but the winner can touch him.

The problem?

Fiona miiight have unknowingly banged his brains out last week.

Losing the competition may mean wearing a chicken suit to the sexiest Halloween costume contest, but she’d rather have feathers up her butt than let the truth out.

Unfortunately, she and James have lots in common and more chemistry than the science wing. Soon they’re sneaking around behind the backs of UCSD’s hottest and most vengeful girls.

If they find out?

Fiona’s screwed. 


I receiver a digital copy from the author in exchange of an honest review.

I gave Adrian Lessons four weak stars but I have to admit that it was closer to three. It was the debut novel of L. A. Rose and considering that it was amazing. I was afraid of James Games because, let's admit, the synopsis is kind of messy thanks to all the questions in it. However I can't remember enjoying a book this much in a while or forgetting about time and read through the night without looking at the clock once. Guys, read it if you haven't yet because James Games is something else, and L. A. Rose is an author I really need to pay attention to in the future. 

Like Adrian Lessons, James Games isn't really deep, it's rather a fun and cute read with adorable characters. All of them are so real, they are relatable without being forced. In L. A. Rose's book I'm always able to understand the characters even if I'm nothing like them. 

What annoys me in most NA romance is how the story concentrates on the characters sob stories and the present is trapped in the background. I loved that these people had problems in their past but they were able to not talk about them all the time.

L. A. Rose does know how to write funny scenes, that's for sure. More than one time I caught myself laughing and James Games just put me into a great mood without being forced or too cheesy. I'd recommend it to those who enjoyed Adrian Lessons or any other funny and sweet NA Romance.  


Fiona: I loved her character and yet again L. A. Rose did her magic and made me relate to her even though I'm totally different from her. My favorite thing in Fiona was that she didn't complain all the time, and believe me when I say she would have had enough reasons to do so because some girls gave her a really hard time. She was a good friend and was able to admit when she was being stupid. 

“I’m sorry for being so snappy. I’d heard all about this James Reid guy and hated the idea of him. My pride didn’t want to anyone to think of me as just another girl drooling over him. So when I found out hooked up with you already, I hated you even more. Without even knowing you. That was pretty dumb.”

James: I was a bit sceptical of his character. Who hadn't read about the cliché of a famous person? Fortunately he proved me wrong, he was an incredible male lead who changed a lot by the end of the novel.

Iris: I love love love her. She had an interesting personality and was a great person. One of my favorite things in James Games was the banter between her and Fiona. I'd love to read a book from her POV because I want to see her family life after what I saw in James Games.

“You did too tell me to sign up for that class! You said everyone took it as an easy way out of the math requirement!”
“Oh, right.” She leans back and chuckles. “Yeah no, that class is hell. Everyone regrets signing up for it. I told you to because I hated you our first week.”
“You are not fucking serious.”
“I am.” She yawns, looking mildly impressed with herself. “That was pretty deliciously evil of me.” 


Favorite characters: Fiona, Iris, James, Mags
Least favorites: Sigrid, Amber 

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 2/5    
Enjoy factor: 5*/5

What is your opinion on NA Contemporary Romance? Do you think all are very similar or that there are some hidden gems?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)