Wednesday, November 26

Janeal Falor - Mine To Spell (Mine #2)


Cynthia has always hidden from her father’s hexes behind her older sister. When her family gains independence unheard of for women, she’s relieved that her days of harsh punishments are over. But as her seventeenth birthday approaches—the typical age to be sold to a new master—death threats endanger her sisters. She now faces two options: run or meet society’s expectations.


For once, Cynthia isn’t going to let her older sister shield her from the problem. She’s going to prove to herself, her sisters, and society that her family isn’t a threat to their traditions. She willingly chooses to be purchased by a new master. A bold step that takes her somewhere she never thought she would go and to a man she might possibly fall in love with. With his help, she may just find a way to save her sisters while discovering how to stand up for herself. If she lives long enough.






Received a digital copy in exchange of an honest review. 


Mine to Spell is the second novel in the Mine series and I have to admit that I liked it far more than the first book, You Are Mine. This book brought me everything that I missed from the previous novel and just simply swept me off  my feet. 

The world-building, unlike in You Are Mine, wasn't only good but exceptional. I think partly this can be thanked to the fact that Cynthia did more things and went to more places than Serena's ever dreamt of. I'm glad the author took time to describe the place where the tournament was held properly because I couldn't remember all that much, plus Serena didn't take an as close look as Cynthia did.

The romance was sweet but unfortunately not that special, still I rooted for the characters to work their relationship out again. I was delighted to see bits and pieces of Serena and Zade's relationship, I can tell they make the perfect couple.  

The family had a huge rule in Mine to Spell, Cynthia particularly sacrificed herself to save her family, and god I loved her for this. Finally I could see where the mother was coming from and see all the smaller girls together in one cute scene. I really hope the next book will be Bethany's because I started to adore her in this novel. 

It needs to be said that Janeal Falor is an author who should everyone pay attention to in the future. This series might not be for everyone but I do think her writing is amazing. As I mentioned above I was able to picture every single place that was described and I lived every sad and happy moment with Cynthia. 


In all honesty I was sure I won't be a big fan of Cynthia because she happened to be my least favorite character in You Are Mine. My opinion of her changed as soon as I dived into Mine To Spell. She wasn't only a kind-hearted character but she was brave where Serena wasn't and all considered she grew closer to my heart than her sister did before.

Lukas was a wonderful male-lead just like Zade was in You Are Mine. I loved how honest and supportive he was. It was nice seeing him with Cynthia, they are so very cute together. Maybe the only thing I missed was how I couldn't read about his friendship with Zade. It was told that they were friends but to me they felt like co-workers.

“Forgive me if I misinterpreted your standing out in the rain, watching everyone go by with big, hungry eyes like you don’t know what to do, as lost.”

Serena developed a lot since we last saw her. By the end of her book she was able to stand up for herself and by the end of this book she realised that magic isn't all bad. She needed a little (alright a lot of) pushing but I still love her character.

Zade continued to be his usual amazing self, and I LOVED seeing him and Serena working out the hard stuff and just being together. While I loved Cynthia's POV I would have loved to have a few scenes from Serena's POV and see them together from first person. 

Waverly was her usual fun self, I really hope we'll be able to read more about her and Chadwick, at the moment I'm not sure if they belong or not. Kathrine deserves a happy ending too, and I hope all will end well.

Favorite characters: Lukas, Cynthia, Zade, Serena
Least favorite: - 

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5
     




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)