Saturday, November 1

Bethany Griffin - The Fall

"Mother told me once that no matter how brave you think you are, how sure you are of your faith or your convictions or of the rules of science and nature, you can barely glance at the House of Usher. Your eyes won’t let you take it in."


Madeline Usher is doomed.

She has spent her life fighting fate, and she thought she was succeeding. Until she woke up in a coffin.

Ushers die young. Ushers are cursed. Ushers can never leave their house, a house that haunts and is haunted, a house that almost seems to have a mind of its own. Madeline’s life—revealed through short bursts of memory—has hinged around her desperate plan to escape, to save herself and her brother. Her only chance lies in destroying the house.

In the end, can Madeline keep her own sanity and bring the house down? The Fall is a literary psychological thriller, reimagining Edgar Allan Poe’s classic The Fall of the House of Usher.





The Fall is definitely a wonderful Halloween read. It wasn't that frightening, but it had such a creepy atmosphere I couldn't help shivering. This book is one that lures you in completely and won't let you go until the very end. If you let her, Bethany Griffin will take you to one hell of an adventure. 

I was surprised when I saw how many people wrote negative reviews, I can't even imagine why anyone would not like or hate this book. It had some faults but all considered it was an amazingly written, unique novel. There are a lot of chapters, nearly 150 but I never lost thread of what was happening. We basically got Madeline's whole life mixed, every chapter is like this: Madeline is eleven, Madeline is fifteen etc. It might make the story monotone sounding for some but I loved it like this. The Fall is not action packed by far but it does have it's exciting moments and many-many things happen with Madeline.

I'm not sure if The Fall was supposed to be mysterious but I hope not because it wasn't. I was glad to have the chance to read many pages from Lisbeth's journal thus see Madeline's situation by a fresh pair of eyes. Based on her parts I came to like her and hoped for a happy ending for her, even when I was sure it never came.

I read it in some reviews that some found Madeline dumb. I can understand why. Considering to some dystopia or fantasy heroines who are able to figure out everything by first try she was dumb, but who isn't? She didn't realize who was Lisbeth was but we did, so she must be totally clueless, right? Hell no. I think it's easy to judge someone because we as outsiders realized it so quickly but really if it would be about your family I'm sure it would feel alien to you too. 

I wouldn't call the romance weak because it wasn't exactly a romance. Madeline had known from the first minute that she can't trust in Dr. Winston. Plus I don't think Madeline would have fancied him if she hadn't been so darn alone. There was another love interest later into the story and it was really sweet but nothing more, it never really existed. 

The characters are really well-made. I felt like I know each one of them. To me Madeline was relatable on many levels and not because we are so alike, I just think she was too well written to feel distant. Roderick is a tougher topic, I didn't know what to think of him. On one hand I understand why he wanted to leave but then I also feel sorry for Madeline who was left behind all alone in that creepy ass house.


“You were still as a statue, and yet you went higher than me. As if someone I couldn’t see was pushing you. It scared me, Madeline.” 

I liked to read about the years when Madeline and Roderick were so close, the two of them were the cutest. It was nice to see how they found support in each other when everything was so dark around them. 

The ending leaves some questions unanswered and is unclosed but it's a perfect fit for this story. 

Favorite character: Madeline, Noah, Emily
Least favorite: - 

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 5/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5

4 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this book and thank you for the review as it's made me really, really NEED to read it!

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! :) I really hope you'll enjoy it too. :))

      Delete
  2. I really like how you add your favorite quotes on your review :) They say a lot about the writing style and the mood as well :D It's also good that your thoughts are organized.
    That cover is really creepy but I'd definitely give this one a try now :D

    I'm a new follower btw :)

    - The Reading Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should, The Fall was really amazing, not for everyone I think but still amazing. Thanks for the lovely comment and for following. :DD

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)