Thursday, October 16

Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian - Ashes to Ashes (Burn for Burn #3)

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS HUGE SPOILERS
You were warned.

New Year's Eve ended with a bang and Mary, Kat and Lillia may not be prepared for what is to come.

After Rennie's death, Kat and Lillia try to put the pieces together of what happened to her. They both blame themselves. If Lillia hadn't left with Reeve... If Kat had only stayed with Rennie... Things could have been different. Now they will never be the same.

Only Mary knows the truth about that night. About what she is. She also knows the truth about Lillia and Reeve falling in love, about Reeve being happy when all he deserves is misery, just like the misery he caused her. Now their childish attempts at revenge are a thing of the past and Mary is out for blood. Will she leave anything in her wake or will all that remain be ashes?









SPOILERS AHEAD

I've been waiting for this book since I finished Fire with Fire which was like what.... half a year ago? Not that much but it was more than enough to made me eager to read Ashes to Ashes. While I enjoyed Burn for Burn quite a lot it was nothing compared to Fire with Fire, after this it was only logical that the third book was going to be the best of the best. As usual, things didn't work out the way I wished. 

Ashes to Ashes isn't just the biggest disappointment of the year but possible the crappiest of all the last books of series I've read so far! I hated everything in this book: the characters, the storyline, the rushed ending and don't get me started on the plotholes. I'm so angry right now, I can barely write but I just need to get this out of my system. 



I have to start with the fact that I had an absolutely perfect picture of how things should be in Ashes to Ashes and well nothing happened the way I imagined, to make matters worse I spoiled the ending. Yeah, thanks for that tumblr. When I learnt that Reeve and Lillia won't be together in the end, there's no denying the fact that I was devastated. However I trusted in the authors to make me love this book even if things wouldn't end up the way I imagined because, duh I thought they are amazing.

I found something in Ashes to Ashes that can ruin a book for me: plotholes. Thinking back to Fire with Fire there were some, one huge if I want to be specific but I didn't care because I was in love with that book. I said it before but I'm going to say it again, I don't care how ridiculous a story is until the author can make me believe everything that happens and explain the stuff that seemed hazy at first. Now, this didn't happen in this book. 

First, it is told that only Lillia and Kat could see Mary because they had this connection, or whatever which is an acceptable explanation. However there was a part when she really didn't want to be seen because she was haunting Reeve. Kat saw her so obviously the girls could see her even when she didn't want them to. Then tell me how in the hell was she able to haunt them without being seen? Now, my favorite one. In the third book Mary's aunt, Bette is in a mental hospital, Mary's mother put her in there because the she doesn't believe the stuff Bette says about Mary. In Fire with Fire this scene took place: 


I run after her, sobbing. “Mommy, Mommy, Mommy,” I cry. “Don’t go. Don’t leave me. I want to go home!”
Her eyes widen in shock. “Mary, is that you?”
“Don’t leave me,” I beg. She struggles to get up, and I wait for her to hug me, to hold me to her close. It’s been so long, Mommy.
But she doesn’t move toward me; she runs to the other side of the car and gets in. I pound on the window so hard the glass starts to crack.

“I’m sorry,” she weeps. “I’m so sorry. I can’t stay.” Her hands shake as she starts the car, puts it in reverse, and drives away.
(From Fire with Fire)

Even if Mary's mother didn't actually see her, which is of course isn't clear from the text, she still had to know that Bette wasn't crazy. So why did she put Bette in a mental hospital then? 

In the end of Fire with Fire Kat and Lillia are talking about that Lillia loves Reeve and will be with him but when Ashes to Ashes starts they are not together, after that night they haven't even talked...  what the what? Considering that in the end of the previous book Lillia still wanted to be with him this just doesn't make sense.  

The relationships had absolutely no meaning in this book. For two books I was sure that Ash doesn't mean anything to Lillia and then they become besties. When the thing that Lillia and Reeve were together get out EVERY SINGLE ONE of their friends turned their backs on them. Sorry but I don't think this is realistic. They are friends and not a collective mind, not all of them would be on the same opinion. Plus there was the thing that Rennie and Reeve hadn't been together ever and everyone knew this. When Lillia and Ash made up, Ash even said so. She basically told that everyone had known that Reeve would never look at Rennie that way. THEN WHY THE FUCK DID THEY FREAK OUT?

What I really hated was how Reeve and Lillia being together was horrible according to everyone. Why? When not one person thought that Reeve would ever want something like that from Rennie then why the hell was this such a huge deal. And they didn't start to see each other a day after the funeral, they actually waited. Even Kat, who should have supported her friend thought their relationship was wrong. 

I was sure Alex will be with Kat because in the first book they kissed and I thought, I don't know, that maybe Kat will bring out Alex's true self. I didn't felt like they were brother and sister... in Ashes to Ashes one moment Kat said that he's like her brother... since when? Alright, there was close to no chemistry between them but there was none between Alex and Lillia either and look what happened in the end. 

Lillia and Alex's relationship was such a joke. In the first two books I never once got the feeling that Lillia wants more than friendship, yeah there was the trip to Boston but even then it would have been only a kiss and she never once thought she loved Alex, just that it would be so easy being with him. Wow, epic love. In the third novel the authors started to throw in that Lillia misses Alex and she's hurting and blah blah blah. Yeah, sure this is why she only apologized - because, obviously being with someone is something to apologize for - after she left Reeve. When she thought that they were meant to be I laughed my ass off. Seriously?  

I wouldn't say that I don't like Alex, rather I hate him but I was sure he will go through some wonderful character development and grow some balls. Well, this wasn't what happened. My "favorite" part was when he sent the roses to Lillia on Valentine's Day with an 'I love you' card. Really? Why would you do this when it was crystal clear that she wasn't interested in you?  Try to make the girl fall in love with you? Nope. Try to fucking grow up? NO WAY. Send some fucking roses and then be together forever. Seriously? I wanted to shake him. Hard. I love cute guys in books but he wasn't cute nor sweet he was childish, annoying and stupid as fuck. 

Poor Reeve... The authors made us like him, to see why he did what he did, to fell in love with him when Lillia did, and then they ruined his life. Reeve wanted two things from his life: playing football and Lillia, who he adored like a princess. By the end he lost both of these things because of something he did when he was twelve. Nice.

I'd really liked Lillia's character but then I slowly started to hate her. She didn't do anything in this book but cried and made stupid as fuck decisions. I felt like now that Rennie died she didn't have anyone to tell her what to do and God she couldn't make a decision by herself that's for sure. 

I felt like Kat became a bystander and I hated this. She was maybe my favorite from the three girls and she didn't do anything in this book but realized that the rich people are the same as her. Complete bullshit. There people were the ones who laughed at her and well if everyone is soooo friendly then why the fuck aren't their school is a nicer place? 

Mary, how I hate you, you psychopath. She had problems and hell if it wasn't obvious in the previous books too. I mean it wasn't enough for her that Reeve lost his dream college and I bet even if Lillia would have really broken his heart that wouldn't have been enough for her either. And in the end she just... changed her mind for no reason at all. And don't say that she couldn't kill them because they were her friends because that didn't stop her before. 

Are you ready to read about my absolutely favorite part? I hope so because it's coming.
After the whole Mary thing Lillia and Reeve never spoke again, she even lost touch with Kat. I'm not sure what you think guys but to me this seemed stupid. In my opinion if you experience something huge, good or bad with someone who's close to you, you won't drift apart but stick together afterwards because besides those people no one will understand how you feel. 

The thing that makes me really mad is that I know how amazing this book could have been. Fine, make Reeve and Lillia break up but they deserve a closure, not a sentence about that they never talked to each other again. Okay, let Alex and Lillia be together but at least put an effort into showing us that they are in love. Yeah, Kat can change her mind and leave Oberlin the hell alone but please just tell us why she made this decision when she was planning to go there for a long time. And poor Mary... make her see her mistakes but not because killing Reeve didn't work but because she realized what she screwed up. 

The story idea: 3/5 (this only applies for Ashes to Ashes)
The realization of the story: 1/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 1/5



I'm dying to know all about YOUR OPINION. Tell me why you loved or hated Ashes to Ashes. Are you satisfied with the ending? What is your dream ending for this trilogy? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I've tagged you in the Ultimate Book Tag! Follow the link to learn more!

    http://wonderstruck-kcks.blogspot.com/2014/10/ultimate-book-tag.html


    P.S. I haven't read any of the books you talk about in this review but I was thinking about it. Now, not to sure... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tag!
      The first book was really enjoyable, the second wonderful and this just meh. I saw people loving it so maybe you'll too!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)