Saturday, October 11

Janeal Falor - You Are Mine (Mine #1)


Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.






I was given an ebook copy for an honest review. 

When Janeal Falor asked me to review You Are Mine I was really afraid of what will my opinion be. In general, I detest books in which women are mistreated, it's worse if they can't or won't stand up for themselves. Why did you accept the request then? - you could ask. Fortunately, the author kindly sent me an excerpt as well and that I loved, thank God for that. You Are Mine was such a great book, a hidden gem and I can thoroughly recommend it to those who are interested. 



I absolutely hate sexist people and I can't stand when women are portrayed as clueless and helpless creatures. While You Are Mine did exactly that, I found it quite enjoyable. Basically all women were owned or tarnished, either way no one respected them. Women were used, as slaves or as wives, and they had absolutely no control over their lives. A women had to be bought from her father by another warlock (all men were warlocks) and well if they didn't work out as the their future husbands hoped, they became tarnished. 

In a dystopian novel I don't need the main characters to change the world all alone, that would be ridiculous and totally unbelievable. I'm content with knowing that they can see that their world needs to be changed and they are willing to fight for what they want. You Are Mine mostly concentrated on the changes inside the characters and the things that happened to them. While Serena would have been freaking happy to make everything alright that wasn't the main concept of the story. I loved how this book was written but I can see why some won't find it as wonderful as a book in which the characters are able to correct the mistakes in their world.
By the end some pretty important things changed but even these had to do with the characters rather than with everyone else, and that was alright. Nothing was closed off, besides Serena's story so I really can't wait to read the sequel of this book even if it will be about one of my least favorite character from this book. 

Serena always did what others wanted of her. She was afraid of men, of her father, of the danger of being tarnished but she wasn't a coward by far. Serena was brought up in a horrible way and I won't... no, I can't judge her for fearing men. Seeing how her character developed throughout the novel was amazing. From a girl who was terrified of being punished - rightly, so - became a woman who stood up for herself and finally was able to open up and live her life without being afraid. The other thing that made me consider her as one of the strongest heroines of all time was how she protected her sisters and friends.

Zade was such a sweet character. I loved how mistreating other people was a huge no-no for him. The romance was... nice. On some levels it was slow developed but I still found it insta-loveish. Of course they didn't fall in love immediately after seeing each other, in this situation that would have been creepy as hell but they didn't spend enough time together to really fall in love. However this didn't make me root for them any less and I enjoyed all of their scenes together. 

I liked that how Janeal Falor tried to show to Serena - to us - that even if it seems like everyone is horrible there are always some good people out there as well.

Favorite character: Zade
Least favorite: Cynthia 

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 4/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)