Saturday, September 6

K. A. Tucker - Five Ways to Fall (Ten Tiny Breaths #4)

“If you have to fight over a guy, he’s not worth it. Go for the one who’s waiting for you.” 


Purple-haired, sharp-tongued Reese MacKay knows all about making the wrong choice; she’s made plenty of them in her twenty-odd-years. So when her impulsive, short-lived marriage ends in heartbreak, she decides it’s time for a change. She moves to Miami with the intention of hitting reset on her irresponsible life, and she does quite well…aside from an epically humiliating one-night stand in Cancun with a hot blond bouncer named Ben. Thank God she can get on a plane and leave that mistake behind her.

Football scholarship and frat parties with hot chicks? Part of charmer Ben Morris’s plan. Blown knee that kills any hope of a professional football career? So not part of the plan. Luckily Ben has brains to go with his knockout looks and magnetism. After three long years of balancing law school with his job as a bouncer at Penny’s Palace, he’s ready to lead a more mature life—until his first day of work, when he finds himself in the office of that crazy, hot chick he met in Cancun. The one he hasn’t stopped thinking about.


If Ben truly were a smart guy, he’d stay clear of Reese. She’s the boss’s stepdaughter and it’s been made very clear that office romances are grounds for dismissal. Plus, rumor has it she’s trouble. The only problem is, he likes trouble, especially when it’s so good-looking…






I don't even know what to say about this book because I'm just so mad. Do you know that feeling when you've been waiting to read a book for a long time, finally you had it but it was horrible? A huge disappointment. That was Five Ways to Fall for me. 
I couldn't wait for this book because I really loved all the three previous novels of the Ten Tiny Breaths series so I totally thought that something amazing is waiting for me in Five Ways to Fall. Boy, was I wrong!



Reese was supposed to be this badass chick but she made the same mistakes again and again. Add Jared, the cheating ex husband and Reese becomes one of the stupidest heroines I've ever read about. I wanted to read a story about a girl who realizes that she deserves more than a cheating husband, meanwhile I got a book about a girl who runs after that asshole throughout more than 50% of the book.

Before having feelings for Ben Reese didn't realize that Jared was at fault and even Caroline deserves better than him. But of course after she'd admitted to herself that she was falling for Ben, she immediately sent Jared to hell. I see, so a girl can't see that a guy's only playing with her without being in love with another guy.

I usually love mischievous characters but Reeve's actions annoyed me, I was embarrassed for her on more than one occasion. The worst was probably when she went to the paintball field just to shot down Jared and Caroline. Childish and not badass or brave at all. 

Then there was Mercy, a stripper from Penny's who Ben had a friends with benefits relationship with but Mercy started to want more. When K. A. Tucker brought this conflict into the book I thought that Mercy will realize that she didn't belong with Ben or that simply she didn't have a chance with him but no. Nothing like this had happened. Mercy was swept under the table when the novel didn't need the jealousy conflict anymore.

A book doesn't have to have cheesy ass scenes for me to like it but an 'I love you' wouldn't be bad from the mouths of the protagonists. Ben and Reese got in a real relationship at nearly the end of the book and they never actually confessed their feelings besides that they want more. I wanted them to talk, to express their feelings and not just have sex for a change.

I usually don't have a problem with male leads who have a big ego but Ben was so annoyingly cocky. In the whole book there was one occasion when he didn't think that he can have anything or anyone, the other times he thought he's God's gift to women. 


“You’re not my type.”
I’ve heard this before and I don’t believe her. 
Hell, I’m everyone’s type! Eventually.  

Ben was all: "I can't be serious with any girl because I'll turn out like my father" but in Ten Tiny Breaths it didn't take him much of a time to fall for Kacey. I think the Ben from the first novel was able to connect more easily than this one which I don't understand. 

Favorite character: -
Least favorite: Reese, Ben

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 1/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5




2 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't like this one. It does really suck when you wait for a book you think you'll love and then it's a huge disappointment.

    I'd never heard of ten tiny breaths before, but I might give it a go ! :)
    I think I'll stay away from this book, though XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should if you like contemporary romance. I think if you'll like the other books, you might like this one too. I'm totally surprised because I've read so many great things about Five Ways to Fall but I wanted to DNF the book at like half of it. I DNF approx one book per year but this... I really had to suffer to finish it.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)