Saturday, August 2

Sophie Jordan - Uninvited (Uninvited #1)

“Exactly what he wanted me to do. Exactly what they all thought I would do. Everyone in here. Everyone out there in the world. A world so afraid of carriers, it makes killers out of the innocent.” 

When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.
Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.
The first in a two-book series, Uninvited tackles intriguing questions about free will, identity, and human nature. Steeped in New York Times bestselling author Sophie Jordan's trademark mix of gripping action and breathless romance, this suspenseful tale is perfect for fans of James Patterson, Michelle Hodkin, and Lisa McMann.

Warning: This review contains some mild spoilers. 








I have no idea what to think about Uninvited, on one hand this whole kill-gene thing was something new and I enjoyed it but I wasn't too fascinated by the other parts of the novel nor by the characters who sometimes annoyed the hell out of me. It feels wrong to give only two stars but I just can't give more, sorry. :(

The first thing that comes into my mind is how deceptive the third paragraph of the synopsys is. It says: gripping action, breathless romance and that this book is a suspenseful tale. Yep, it is very suspenseful, last night I chose sleeping over reading Uninvited and I did not feel sad about it. 

There was close to no action and believe me when I say that I was looking for it everywhere. Near to the end of the book I thought here it comes but then.... nothing happened. I think this was what ruined the story for me in the first place because throughout the book I waited for a fast paced, action packed ending and it never came. 

The "breathless" romance left me cold, I didn't cheer the the couple on like I usually do. My main reason for not liking the romance was that I never felt anything special between Sean and Davy, the only important thing I remember from their relationship is how Sean protected Davy all the time. Well, I wish he wouldn't have, the world would be better off without her if you ask me. 

The second thing that annoyed me was how some parts were very Divergent-ish, not just one or two but more than three. When I find some small resemblances to other books I usually don't complain but seriously does every dystopian book have to have similarities to either Hunger Games or Divergent? I know there are examples but unfortunately not many. 

There was something that outshone all these horrible things. How the author expounded that maybe the people were the ones who made monsters out of carriers was wonderful. Everyone treated carriers like trash and I'm sure that was the main reason why some of them chose to kill. If you won't ever get the chance to cleanse yourself what would you do?

There was something that made me question the whole theme of the book. Before every chapter there was something that was connected to either HTS or Davy's life. The HTS parts consisted of studies and interviews and all pointed into one direction, hell there were even number which showed that testing the people for the kill-gene did not do anything but increased homicides. And there were datas that said there are nearly as many homicides by random people. 
I'm sure that there would be countries who would do the same thing as the countries in the book but all of them? Seriously? After seeing that the number of homicides increased which country would put tons of money into a project that did more damage than help? Not that many of them as the book suggested, really this ruined the whole read experience for me because I couldn't picture any person with a brain to do such a thing. 

Davy: At first I was able to understand her. It's horrible to lose everything you had from one moment to the other and have even your closest relatives see you as a monster. I could get why she had to think that she was better than the other carriers to keep her hope and sanity however I can't accept how selfish she acted most of the time. Once when Sean helped her she got angry because she wanted to show off how great (?) she was. Don't mind the fact that if not for Sean she probably would have been beaten to near death and then thrown away like trash. 
Sometimes she seemed like a girl who knows what sacrifice means, and who'd fight til her last breath if it means that she'll get another chance yet, at other times she acted stupid and would have rather stayed in a place where she was forced to do things she didn't want to, than take the risk and run away towards the promise of freedom.


“All my life people have called me gifted. Extraordinary. Blessed. I had all these dreams to become something. Someone. No one ever said I couldn’t. No one ever said Killer.”  

Sean: I liked him but his silent, brooding attitude was such a huge chiché... He wasn't a bad guy but he sure as hell didn't add much to the story besides protecting Davy all the time. I didn't learn much about him just a few characteristics such as: he was silent and liked being alone but he always stood up for the weaker. Not much about one of the main characters, right?

Mitchell: He was such an amazing brother of Davy, he wanted to help her and make her feel better, he was by no doubt my favorite character from Uninvited.


He (Mitchell) squeezes my arm. “No way are you one of them. Anyone can take a look at you and see that.”
I nod, his words feeding me hope. “In the meantime, I’m uninvited from Everton.”
“Everton sucks. I tried to get kicked out of that place but Dad kept getting me back in.”

I couldn't even hate Zac and Tori, it's like both of them were so damn stupid and weak that I couldn't do anything but laugh at them. Zac seemingly had it all if we don't count a real personality and a brain. And Tori.... why did the author made her seem like a nice and kind of shy girl if she was supposed to be the biggest bitch later? I don't think anyone can change that much.

Now, I would say something, I try never to, I don't think that the characters were well-written, I can't remember a lot of names plus even those who I can, like Gil or Coco were 2-dimensional and plain. That's just my opinion and it no way should affect yours. 

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 5/5 (did not count into my final rating) 



2 comments:

  1. Yikes! Sorry you didn't find this to your liking.... I personally think that the dystopian genre is overused and written way too often. I think there's always a chance to come up with new ideas, it's just that what defines a book as dystopian makes all dystopian books sound the same. Rebellion. Oppressive government. Girl who will make the difference....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that these books have the same base but I still think that there can be major changes which would make the book differ from others. My biggest problem is that some authors think it's better to write a book similar to an already popular series than writing about something completely new. I personally think that nothing can be too crazy in the dystopian genre if it's told properly.
      Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)