Sunday, June 8

Marissa Meyer - Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.




Cinder was absolute perfection, it had everything a good book should: an exciting plot, a cute romance and twists (which were completely obvious but still great).
I'm mad at myself for not starting this series sooner because I was afraid of the sci-fi subject which is totally not my thing. I'm thankful for all the reviews of Cinder that gushed about how incredibly good this book really is and how they all feel so bad because they didn't read it sooner. I didn't think much of it until one day I saw this in the library and all the great reviews popped into my mind and I thought: let's give it a try! Now, here I am a few days after finishing Cinder and the story keeps repeating itself in my head, yes it was that good, so if you're in the same situation as I was, give it a try. 

The story takes place in the very distant future where people can rely on the help of their androids and an injured person can easily be transformed into a cyborg. Everything seems kind of perfect besides that cyborgs are treated like trash and an incurable illness kills people all around the world. 

Cinder was taken in by a generous man who died right after he had brought her home to his family. However the wife, Adri is as mean as one can be and she despises and hates Cinder but makes her work for the money as a mechanic. On of her working days she meets with Prince Kai and develops an instant feeling for him, he needs Cinder to repair an android before the ball, minutes after he leaves someone gets infected and the whole place start to panic, after this moment Cinder's life will never be the same. 

The whole Cinderella concept sounded a bit weird with the cyborg theme but somehow it completely worked out. The hints to the original story weren't too much and with the sci-fi and political themes made this book impossible to put down. 

The romance didn't rule the story but it was there throughout the whole book and it influenced the plot at some parts. It's not really an insta love, I think they really liked each other from the first moment but love will come later in the next books. Meanwhile they were pretty cute together and I can see how they can help each other in the future. 

The sci-fi part wasn't too scientific for regular readers and it was well-written and explained so everyone can understand it. I don't think hating sci-fi should scare you away because I don't like it either but I still loved this book.

I liked how the illness was thoughtfully described and how infected people were taken to a quarantine as soon as the symptoms occurred but nothing could stop the spreading they just slowed it down. 

This is book mixed humorous and sad parts together and what came out was perfection. The jokes were actually funny not like in Rebel Belle where they were forced, I could laughed out loud on some of them, even though I rarely do that while reading a book. 
The sad parts weren't shoved under the table after two pages, when one horrible thing happened I could still feel that even if Cinder was cracking a joke or having a good time, she still remembered every tragedy. It was a lot like real life, there were great and terrible moments and the funny parts gave a break to the characters. 

Cinder: She was a typical badass female lead, she stood up for herself even when she knew she can't win, she never gave up. She deeply cared about other people and not just the ones she loved, there was a part where this came through better than ever before because she saved a nearly stranger when she had her own problems. 

Her guardian always made her feel like shit, like being a cyborg is the worst thing anyone can do and I hated how on some level she believed it because anyone who knew about her true identity was disgusted by her. 
“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.” 
I love her jokes, she's officially one of my favorite female leads of all time. 
“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery. "
His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic operation?""No, the sex change."The doctor's smile faltered."I'm joking.”
Kai: He's an absolutely amazing character, I love him soo much. Best thing about him was his sarcastic comments which he didn't hold back even when he was supposed to act like an emperor. 
“That you prefer to rule through fear rather than justice? So sorry, Your Majesty, I’m afraid I already knew that about you.” 
“Right,' said Kai, 'that'll be no problem in a city of two and a half million people. Let me just go dig out my special Lunar detector, and I'll get right on that.” 
Under his jokes he had a more serious and grown-up self which makes me think of what a great king will he be in the future.   
“Imagine there was a cure, but finding it would cost you everything. It would completely ruin your life. What would you do?” 
Adri: She was the evilest creature in this novel, on some levels she was worse than the Lunars because she hurt a person who was staying under her roof, taking care of Cinder was the last thing her husband asked her to do. I hope in the following books she'll get what she deserves and she will reconsider her choices in life. 
“Do your kind even know what love is? Can you feel anything at all, or is it just... programmed?” 
Iko: She was such a cutie I loved her and her jokes even if she was a little overwhelming sometimes, I couldn't bear her all the time like Cinder did but she was nice and a good friend. She was such a fangirl of Kai just like Peony. 
“We all have our weaknesses.” “I know,” said Iko. “Mine is shoes.” 
“Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating.”  
“Cinder twisted up her lips. "Do you think it could have a virus?""Maybe her programming was overwhelmed by Prince Kai's uncanny hotness.”

Favorite characters: Cinder, Kai, Iko 
Least favorite: Adri, Pearl

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5 
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 5/5


2 comments:

  1. I'm in the same situation as you were - I've heard great things but am not much of a sci-fi person, so I haven't read this yet. The fact that you shared my misgivings but enjoyed the book is encouraging, though. I guess I had better pick this one up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it was truly good, if I hadn't known this was the author's first book I couldn't tell. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)