Wednesday, May 21

Tammara Webber - Breakable (Contours of the Heart #2)


He was lost and alone. Then he found her.
And the future seemed more fragile than ever.
As a child, Landon Lucas Maxfield believed his life was perfect and looked forward to a future filled with promise — until tragedy tore his family apart and made him doubt everything he ever believed.
All he wanted was to leave the past behind. When he met Jacqueline Wallace, his desire to be everything she needed came so easy…
As easy as it could be for a man who learned that the soul is breakable and that everything you hoped for could be ripped away in a heartbeat.

(Spoiler free review)


My biggest problem with Easy (the original novel) was that it was clearly missing something. First of all it didn’t make a big impression on me so after reading it, detail by detail I started to forget about the plot. This could be because the characters couldn’t catch my attention no matter how much shit they had to deal with in the past. Anyway because I couldn’t remember much from Easy I thought this would be an exciting book which will encourage me to reread the the first novel, too.

You can probably guess by now this never happened but sometimes I had to pick up that book and read a few situations because even when I read them from Lucas’s POV they didn’t ring the bells. If you’re wondering, this wasn’t a good thing, actually far from it.

The story was written in two POVs both of them is Lucas but in one he tells about his past as Landon while the other is about his presente.

I have to tell you how bored I was as while reading his past, a lot of sad and tragic things happened to him but like in Easy it wasn’t deep enough for me. There were a lot of unlogical and unrealistic things trough the novel, school bully suddenly liking him because of a nonsense reason was one of these. Sometimes I felt that I should feel sorry for him for example when he got dumped in the worst way possible but all I could think was that I saw this coming from miles. He was a little boy who wanted to grow up too fast so he drank and hooked up with random chicks, very amazing and original.

As for Lucas… I liked him in Easy even if he was nothing considered to my all time favorite male characters but in this he freaked me out. He listened to Jacqueline’s friends talking about her in Starbucks and went to the place where they did and asked J to dance while pretended it was just a coincidence that they both ended up at the same place. Even when they first met, when Jacqueline was nearly raped, he went to the party because he wanted to see her but they have never ever spoken before.
(Tell me if you think otherwise. Did you considered Lucas as a hottie whose affection was cute? Tell me in the comments :D) 

I can see how some people might find this cute maybe even hot but for me it was just plainly creepy and stalkerish. He didn’t know anything about this girl and it wasn’t just a simple crush he was kind of a fanatic, yeah maybe she seemed pretty nice on the outside but that doesn’t mean she’s really like that, Lucas should have known this more than anyone.

I know this book is supposed to tell the story from Lucas’s point of view and wasn’t written to be a stand alone but besides Lucas/Landon and his family I couldn’t get to know anyone. Jacqueline was my biggest problem; because she wasn’t introduced to us properly I could never see why Lucas would like her besides what he saw from the outside. He did thought a few very adorable things about her and I liked how protective he felt when he saw Jacqueline with Kennedy who was the biggest jerk ever.

“This girl wasn’t tapping her fingers restlessly, though. Her movements were methodical. Synchronized. Sitting far enough to the left of her to study her profile, I watched her chin bob, so subtly it was almost undetectable – and at some point, I realized that when her expression was remote and her fingers were moving, she was hearing music. She was playing music.It was the most magical thing I’d ever seen anyone do.”

 “I wanted to put on earphones and plug into her and know what she was hearing when her fingers performed.”


I can’t recall Jacqueline’s personality but I don’t remeber it was this boring and considering how deeply Lucas loved her I think from his POV we should see a much better version of her. My opinion about her in Easy wasn’t this bad however in Breakable she seemed really weak and controllable and her fantastic idea of using her full name seemed like the lamest thing ever. A name won't make you another person but it could give you strength which wasn't shown in this book. 

I’m still going to give three stars to this book because after all this suffering things add up somehow and when I finished the book I didn’t (completely) regret ever finding out about Breakable. My rating can be thanked to the fact that giving two stars is a bit too mean for this book which was put together well enough but was lack of feelings.

Favorite character: -
Least favorite: Jacqueline, Lucas/Landon, Kennedy

I’d recommend it to those who loved Easy, though this wasn’t a good book and I highly recommend you to put it aside if you have anything better to read or if you had problems with the first book too. 

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)