Sunday, May 25

Rachel Hawkins - Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle #1)


Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.
Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.
With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.



I had no intentions of reading this book but I kept finding amazing reviews about it that convinced me to start reading this because it's supposedly funny and one of the best books ever. I had my doubts but I was ready to dive into Harper's story. After hearing tons of good things about Rebel Belle and seeing this beautiful cover I feel let down and disappointed. This was nothing like what I'd been looking for. The characters were boring and not at all likable while the story was anything but exciting, there were a few funny parts but outside that it wasn't even humorous. 

“Bruce Wayne's parents get killed and he goes to Tibet or whatever, and Superman is an alien, and Spiderman had that radioactive spider. Me? I kissed a janitor in the school bathroom.” 
The story starts with Homecoming, it's totally obvious that Harper will win the tiara and she's making sure everything about her looks is perfect so she goes to the bathroom to put on lipstick. While she's there the school janitor comes in and gives her his powers before dying and tells her how she'll have to protect someone. She's just about to go when her history teacher storms in with a sword and attacks her, thanks to her new powers she kills him. Now Harper has super powers, she can fight like a ninja which sounds cool and all until she realizes that she'll have to protect David, even if it might cost her own life. David and Harper can't stop arguing since kindergarten so it'd be a miracle if they could work together without any conflicts, or would it? 
"Whatever the reason, my right hand shot up to slap David Stark across the face. Half an inch from David’s cheek, my hand stopped in midair. And it wasn’t because I had some crisis of conscience, either. It was like my hand hit an invisible wall right by his head."
Soon after they start to work together Harper develops feelings towards him and has to realize they have, maybe always had, more passion than she and her boyfriend, Ryan. 
If I have to say one word about the plot it would be boring or unbelievable. I love it when a book can take me to places I couldn't have created no matter how hard I'd try but this plot was somehow too much for me. 
All the drama was annoying, it wasn't a love triangle more like a love quadrant and I couldn't care less about their relationships because I never experienced any deep feelings towards each other. 



- Sometimes there were parts where I caught myself smiling either because it was cute or funny. 

- The plot didn't stop and there weren't (m)any unneeded parts. Moreover, the book was spiced up with plenty of action and ass kicking which could have been good if not for the main characters. 


- How Harper developed throughout the novel. She became less focused on herself and her looks and started to accept that she didn't have to be perfect in everything to make others like her. 




- Ryan was the only character I liked, in the beginning he was an amazing boyfriend who loved Harper no matter how unbearable she could be. Ryan had his doubts about Harper when she started to see David a lot but even then he tried to make something out of their wreck of a relationship. Of course he made a lot of mistakes too but damn it he was still a very-very supportive boyfriend. I hope Harper will pick some brains up and chooses him over David in the next books. It was obvious how Rachel Hawkins wanted to make us readers root for David because she constantly set up Ryan in awkward situations. His character was really badly made, he was supportive but it took absolutely two minutes for him to start to flirt with another girl and most of the time he didn't want to do anything but make out with Harper. 

- David's clothing, I could forget about it but nearly every time he was mentioned Harper wrote down what he was wearing and how bad he looks like. Unique style I could accept but smaller clothes than your size when you're rich as hell? No way.


- Harper's personality. She was annoying and uppity, somehow she always ended up putting herself in front of everyone but fortunately this changed by the end. 


- Harper's best friend, Bee. She was the stupidest best friend ever. In the beginning she could detect Harper's lies but after a time she believed everything that Harper lied, even the dumbest things. There are characters who could pull off being silly while staying cute, however Bee wasn't one. 


- David and Harper left town even if they knew that it could be a trap and after they caught the girl who told them she can teleport easily from one place to the other, no this didn't ring the bells in their heads... they tried to take her back to Saylor and were surprised when she disappeared. Jeez who thought? 



Harper: In the beginning she was one of the most annoying female leads of all times but as time went by she started to mature and grow up. I can see how all the pressure of being perfect pushed her to be this girl who didn't care about anything but school programs and her looks. What I don't get is why didn't the death of her sister influenced her to become someone different from her besides drinking she went down the same path as her. 

Even if I had a lot of problems with her she was still a good friend of Bee but could easily win the worst girlfriend awards because her relationship with Ryan was a disaster, how she rejected him again and again freaked me out. There was one time when she went to the cinema with him but ended up going after Blythe, the girl who went after David, and when she lost track of her she drank a tea with David instead of going back to her date. This is just plainly rude because she didn't even send a text message to Ryan and was angry when she realized that he watched a film with another girl WHILE she was with another boy.

“And the next time I did school stuff in the middle of the night, I just did it in my closet with the door locked. Honestly, what is wrong with this country when striving for excellence means you need antidepressants?” 
David: He is one of the unsexiest male leads ever, he wasn't even a cute dork, he was an annoying bastard who even if liked Harper wrote a mean article about her after homecoming. Who does something like that? Who takes a photo of the girl/boy who they like when she/he's clearly out of it. Harper even threw up before in front of David so he couldn't think that it was just some kind of a "shallow girl" problem. She could have been pretty sick for all he knew and still he took the picture and wrote an article and after was really angry when Harper wanted an official apology and threatened him. 
“If by ‘graciously volunteered,’ you mean ‘was threatened and coerced,’ then yes, I did,” 
“Look at him. Whole life turned upside down, and he’s in there making pizza rolls.” 
Ryan: As I said before he was pretty cute in the beginning and I felt so bad for him because I knew that Harper will leave him for David. After a time he started to seem like a dumb guy who would flirt with another girl right after they don't have the perfect relationship with Harper anymore. In the end he was again the guy we get to know on the first pages, what happened with him was gimmicky, the author went too far and I can predict how high the drama-meter will be in the next book. 
“But, God, Harper, sometimes I feel like your whole life is a checklist, and I am way down at the bottom. And, you know, every once in awhile, you throw me a bone to keep me happy.”I flinched at that, hard. Not only because it was insulting, but because it was way too close to the truth."
I hated Harper for being a mean bitch to Ryan even if he tried to understand her sudden warming up toward David. 


All considered I can't see why so many people love love love this book, it's not half as good as I imagined, there are much more put together books out there. 


I would recommend it to those who aren't freak out of childish female voices who are searching for a unique but stranger than strange story with a lot of everyday life problems. 


Favorite characters: - 

Least favorite: David, Harper, all her friends, Saylor, Blythe 

The story idea: 3/5

The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 1/5
The cover: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't like this more! I really did like this one. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel really bad about hating it this much... glad you liked it at least. :)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)