Thursday, May 1

Micalea Smeltzer - Finding Olivia (Trace + Olivia #1)


How far would you go to find yourself?
That’s the question that’s been haunting Olivia Owens for years.
All Olivia has ever wanted to do is live and make mistakes, but her preacher father has made that impossible. She believes that her years at college will be her ticket into the real world and her chance to be wild and spontaneous.
But she’s never been able to do it on her own.
At the start of her sophomore year, she only has four things crossed off her Live List, but that’s all about to change thanks to a chance encounter with Trace Wentworth. She’s about to learn that there’s more to this reformed bad boy than just his looks and panty dropping smile.
Trace can’t explain what it is that draws him to Olivia.
All he knows is that he wants to get to know the girl with the sad smile but sparkle in her eyes.
When she tells him about her list, he knows that this is his chance to get to know Olivia Owens. Trace is determined to show Olivia that she can do all the things she’s ever wanted to do. So, he begins to help her cross things off her list, even the more outlandish requests.
What happens along the way is more than what Olivia or Trace ever expected.
Love, laughs, and a list.

That’s the name of the game when you’re Finding Olivia.


If you liked this book I would not recommend you to keep reading because I'm quite a meanie in this one, sorry but I couldn't like it better. :(



I was really looking forward to read this book, just look at the cover it seems like it’s a happy summer read and doesn't have much drama in it, right? Most of all I wanted to read something without the usual “break each others heart after they got together” stuff so I started it.
Now I wish I’ve never found this book, it was nothing compared to my expectations and I didn’t have big ones as I thought this will be just a light read. I don’t even know why I finished this because as I look back nothing happened in it.

The book starts with this quote:
“Life is not measured by the amount of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”

I love this quote because it’s true of everyone’s life. Woah – I thought – this will blew my mind and take my breath away. Boy was I wrong!
This was one of the worst books of the year, it didn’t have any original ideas everything that happened in Finding Olivia can be found in other books too I've already read nearly all these situations in other novels.

Finding Olivia could be called: The Big Encyclopedia of Clichés and I’m not exaggerating things it was really that bad. Unlike other times I’m going to list all the things that were dumb or completely not original and I'm not going to talk about the characters, storyline or romance separately.

-       Olivia drives to college when she gets a flat tire, the first person who stops is a guy who isn’t just looks like a god but is a mechanic who helps her and after offers to put in new tires if she goes to the garage where he works.

-       Olivia makes a fool out of herself and they don't even talk a normal sentence but Trace still falls in love with her right then and there.

-       Olivia happens to have a best friend who’s her complete contrary, Avery is outgoing, has a different guy every week and is a fashion expert while Olivia is antisocial, shy and takes on what she finds in her wardrobe. 

-       Avery wants to go with Olivia to check out Trace, when they arrive to the garage there’s another guy who happens to be Trace’s friend and who’ll be Avery’s boyfriend in the future. My best friend is the girlfriend of your best friend cliché.

-       “You can’t eat before you meet a boy” stupidity, because that’s what young girls need authors telling them.
-       “The best friend is in control” bullshit. I don’t want a best friend like Avery, she never listened to Olivia she did what she wanted to all the time.

-       “We just met a few days ago but I trust you with all my secrets” cliché.
-        Trace didn’t tell Olivia how rich he is until right before she met with his parents, Olivia freaked out more because they are rich than because Trace lied to her. Umm, what?

-       Avery’s parents don’t know Olivia nor her mother but they are all for them to live at their house as long as they want to.
-       Olivia’s mother doesn’t move away from home even after his husband hurt Olivia. She could have think about something, anything is better than living with an abusive father/husband.

-       Olivia’s mother changing completely in one day… she was abused, beat up, terrified and other horrible things but after a day she’s totally open, ready for a new relationship (with a guy in her 20s) and so on.
-       The meeting with the parents/grandparents of your boyfriend/girlfriend and loving them instantly as your own family cliché.

-       There’s the ultra rich family of Trace and the simple rich family of Avery, they are all amazing, generous people but everyone else from their circles are evil… starting with Aubrey, the ex of Trace.
-       After Aubrey’s hysteric onset Olivia freaks out on Trace and hides away because she can’t believe Trace was with someone like that bitch. You know what I can’t believe? That Trace is with someone like Olivia.

-       The four of them go on a holiday together… hmm a bit cheesy, don’t you think?
-       While on a holiday Trace wants to make sure Olivia is okay and what he gets in exchange? Bitchiness, that’s what.
“Are you sure you’re-”
 I held up a hand to stop him. “Yes, I’m sure. You have nothing to worry about except for my nerves that you’re wearing out.”

-       Who the fuck calls her dog or something like this:
“Okay,” I nodded, still worried about my hairy baby.
WTF is wrong with these people?

-       Olivia was such a baby, she was always complaining about something. Oh my boyfriend is so annoying he wants to take care of me all the time and he won’t let me pay when we go out, worst of all my best friend is such a pervert meanwhile my mum’s having sex with a guy from my age. Time to time she thought something than in the next minute thought the complete opposite of that thing.
Trace and I, met by chance, and something made me show him my list, but somewhere along the way, my list stopped mattering to me. It became, not so much about accomplishing these things, but about living in the moment and just…being happy. As simple as that may sound, it’s true. Happiness is everything.
After like two minutes she thinks Trace will leave her when it was totally obvious that he went after Aubrey to put her into her place… Trace was fucking mad when he left, not lovesick… girl you have major problems and it’s not shyness because Olivia was not shy that’s for sure.

-       The comma abuse in this book was horrible… my native language isn’t English still I saw how many mistakes this author made.Why didn’t she check on the internet the terms of where to use commas? (worst of all she was born in the USA… but I don’t judge) If I were her I would make sure that my novel, which would be published has as little mistakes is it can.

-       How Avery always dressed up Olivia. When she went to the garage she wore high-heels, okay fine I’m gonna skip this but when she went to the park with Trace she didn’t wear a sweater because that’s not sexy… yeah because girls in jumpers, poluvers, sweaters or jackets etc can’t look good, they have to wear something thin so they’ll freeze their ass of. Thanks for the great advice I’ll keep it in mind. Do you know what did Olivia were to the park? High-heeled shoes… because when you’re going to have a picnic or something like that this is what you do, wear shoes you can’t walk in. Ridiculous. I love to dress up and I adore high-heels but I don’t think you have to wear them all the time, by the way what about sporty girls or those who can’t walk in high-heeled shoes?

-       After Olivia woke up in the hospital she didn’t let Avery meet with her because she didn’t want her to see her looking this “shitty”. Before you think this was because she’s such a great person who doesn’t want her best friend getting worried I’m going to tell you this wasn’t the reason. She was just being selfish... I can totally get how tired she was but for fucks sake lying in bed while they stand around you for five minutes wouldn't killed her but gave Avery relief.

-       She realizes Trace told that he’s her husband because he wanted to stay with her and this was the only way, her reaction:
“Husband?” I snapped, eyeing Trace.
Jeez, seriously what a dick, I’d totally kill myself if I had a boyfriend like him, wouldn’t you?

-       When she goes home Trace wants to help her in everything because she needs it, for example she can’t change without help.
“I can do it myself!” I yelled at Trace when he tried to help me out of my clothes.
 He flinched like I had slapped him. “Are you sure?”
“No!” I croaked and collapsed onto the bed, sobbing. “I hate this, Trace. I feel so helpless. I can’t walk up stairs or change my own clothes! It isn’t fair! Why did this happen to me?” I buried my tear-streaked face in my hands.

Please, drown in your self-pity because this world would sure as hell be better without you…
-        Considering how Olivia was abused all her life she should be more mature even if she doesn’t have a lot of experience. She shouldn’t whine about everything or let Avery boss her around like this.

Here’s Olivia’s list which I don’t want to comment because even if half of the things aren’t ones I would write or gave into a fictional characters mind, I can see how some people might want to do all of these.

Olivia’s list:
1. Get drunk
2. Fly in a hot air balloon
3. Go to the carnival 
4. Go to a concert (even if it’s someone I’ve never heard of)
5. Go to a party
6. Lose my virginity
7. Dance in the rain
8. Go roller skating
9.  See the ocean
10. Learn to paint 
11. Get a dog… or a cat… or a rabbit. Any pet will do.
12. Sing in front of real people. Avery doesn’t count.
13. Make more friends
14. Shoot a gun
15. Smoke
16. Get a tattoo
17. Learn to pole dance
18. Go skinny dipping
19. Pierce my belly button
20. Fall in love

About the next books in this series: 














I think this covers if I will continue it or not. 

Favorite characters: Olivia, Avery

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 3/5
All in all: 2,5 (2)/5

I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone but I think some of you might like it, read it if you don’t mind how predictable a novel is and if you don’t get angry when you read a useless “twist”. 

My question for you: 

Is there someone else beside me who finds orange and pink a crappy pairing even if they are in a pastel or light shade? Tell me in the comments. :)

"It was orange with a pink heart on the front and one on each sleeve."
"Her bedspread was pink and orange cheetah print and..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)