Wednesday, May 7

Kiera Cass – The One (The Selection #3)

“It doesn't really matter how you feel about your character; it just matters what you do with it.” 

The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.


From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey... Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned.

I was waiting for this book since ages so I started it as soon as I could get my hands on it. I had major expectations about the book: I wanted America to be with Maxon, I needed to find out more about the rebellions for example what their exact goals are. I can’t say if all my wishes came true because I don’t want to spoil anything but anyhow I loved every single moment of reading this book. I can promise I’ll read anything what Kiera Cass writes because reading this series was a pretty amazing journey, I loved every single moment of this trilogy even when I  had a  hard time of accepting the characters or or liking a part in the novel. 

In the third installment of The Selection trilogy America fights to win back Maxon’s trust - which won’t be as easy as she thought - while she’s trying to figure out her own feelings toward the two boys. Meanwhile the rebellions get more and more violent and start to kill off random people from the castes the Elite are from. Even if America becomes more and more like a real princess the king still hates her and would do anything to make her leave. Who will Maxon’s heart desire or more like will America discover who is her true love before it’s too late?

This story had everything I desired for. First of all it wasn’t just about the romance, it explained the difference between the Southern and the Northern rebels while bringing back a few characters from the previous books and we got answers to all the questions that may arise. The character development was greatly written, the girls had a few real moments so we could get a better view into all of their lives and saw their reasons of their actions. They got to know the queen too who was distant at first but as time went by she couldn’t stop herself from starting to get to know and like the girls.

I liked how Kiera handled the romance it was clearly visible who America loved and who became just a close friend, I think with this move she showed us who’s the best for America so even if someone liked the other guy better they could still get the decision unlike in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay where the author didn’t reasoned (or maybe it was a good reasoning for others) just threw it into our faces and wanted us to like it.

There was just the right amount of drama which was confined to the romance and it was necessary, just think about the relationship between Aspen and America and what would happen when Maxon finds it out.
I loved how America and Maxon still fought in this book but (mostly) they were able to make a compromise or talk things out afterwards. 
“To be clear, no one agrees with you.” (Maxon)   
“To be clear, I don’t care." (America)
You could say that the novel was a little bit predictable just like the first two but it was still very entertaining and some parts were pretty cute. Before the end of the book there were a list of unexpected things happening which made the story more exciting and shake up everyone who got swept into that “that would be it” feeling.

They were all perfectly-made and as I said before the character development was incredibly written, nearly everyone changed for the better, of course everything isn’t perfect so there were some who remained just as bad as they were before.

America: She didn’t lose her strength nor her kind-heart, throughout the books she fought for what was the best for others mostly for people she didn’t even know and put herself into the background. Besides her indecisiveness of who she loves she was one of the most exemplary female leads in all the dystopian books I’ve read so far. She loved her family to the moon and back and would have done anything to protect them. I liked that she wanted to make things right unlike in the second book where she hardened her own (love) life. 

“The best people all have some kind of scar.”

“Not wanting the crown means you’re probably the best person to have it.” 

Maxon: He changed so much since the first novel he got calmer and more serious, with America’s help he could see into the life of the lower castes, what started with a sentence that accidently slipped from America’s mouth changed his goals so much. I can see what a good king he would be because how he cares about his people is rather amazing, he has no reason to start to work on a better society because he has everything but he does it anyway, he’s one of the bravest heroes I’ve ever read about.
“I know. For all the planning I was doing to get you to show the people who you are, it turns out you just do it on an impulse. It’s so you.” 
Aspen: I wrote down in my review of The Elite (http://www.reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/2014/03/kiera-cass-elite-selection-2.html#more) that I can’t stand him but even I can see how much he changed since the beginning, he found some inner courage and became the best soldier he could. I couldn’t quite like him in The One but I accepted him and get him a little bit better.

Celeste: She was the biggest surprise in this book (she had actual feelings crazy, huh? ) she showed an entire new side of her and opened up to the others in a way I didn’t know she was capable of. She was the character who developed the most since the first the author introduced her to us and the one who showed us how much even the higher castes are prisons and how the castes influence ones personality.
“Celeste met me halfway, swinging her branch with each step. “What’s wrong?”“Nothing. Just not feeling well, I guess.”“Do. Not. Puke,” she ordered. “Especially not on me.”
Kriss: I can’t like her she was the biggest problem for me, I don’t know why I felt such uneasiness in her direction maybe because she had a relationship with Maxon but her personality always seemed too put together for me. Unlike Marlee I couldn’t accept that she was just kind and there were times when her not-so-bright side showed up.

Lowering my gaze, I walked to my seat, settling next to Kriss.
“Seriously America?” she whispered.
I tilted my head in her direction. “I’m sorry?” I replied, feigning confusion.
She put her silverware down, and we stared at each other. “You look trashy.”
“Well, you look jealous.”

This was just plainly mean, I don’t know why she had to say it to America even if she was jealous she should have kept her mouth shut Marlee would have so I don’t think Kriss was really a sweet girl, she was  a cutie when she felt like it and when she had to.

Elise: After reading The One I can totally get her desire to satisfy her parents by marrying the Prince. She was raised to get married with someone who’s the best and if she wouldn’t get chosen that would mean she isn’t the best and her family would despise her for this.

The King was his usual abusive self but in this novel we could see how the people preferred Maxon over him, though the queen was too good to be with such a jerk.

The author brought back characters who were mentioned in the previous books for example Marlee who was just as kind as always but all the difficulties made her much wiser and stronger than she ever was before.
“America, you are full of nothing but bad ideas. Great intentions but awful ideas.”

Favorite characters: Maxon, America, Celeste
Least favorite: Aspen, Kriss, the King

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 6/5


I’d recommend the whole trilogy (with the companion books) to those who like dystopian books in which the romance has a big role but still there’s plenty of action in it. 



My favorite quotes from The One: 

“This letter has gotten foolish, and I think you know how I detest looking like a fool. But still I do. For you.”  - Maxon

“In those seconds, I was mourning everything I'd lost. How I'd never get to see you walk down an aisle toward me, how I'd never get to see your face in our children, how I'd never get to see streaks of silver in your hair. But, at the same time, I couldn't be bothered. If me dying meant you living, how could that be anything but good?”  - Maxon.

“Celeste walked up, as strong as I’d ever seen her, and whispered something into Maxon’s ear. When she was done, he smiled. “I don’t think that will be necessary.”
“Good.” She left, closing the door behind her, and I stood to take whatever was coming.
“What was that about?” I asked, nodding toward the door.
“Oh, Celeste was making it clear that if I hurt you, she’d make me cry,” he said with a smile.
I laughed. “I’ve been on the receiving end of those nails, so be careful there.”

“Yes, ma’am.” 

“I want everything with you, America. I want the holidays and the birthdays, the busy season and lazy weekends. I want peanut butter fingertips on my desk. I want inside jokes and fights and everything. I want a life with you.” 

“But even now I know this isn't a fairy tale. I know that we'll have hard times, confusing times. I know that things won't always happen the way we want them to and that we'll have to work to remember that we chose this. It won't be perfect, not all the time.
This isn't happily ever after.

It's so much more than that.” 

“Though I still occasionally questioned my desire to be the princess, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to be Maxon’s.” 

“Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway.” 

“. . . It’s me?”

“Of course it’s you.”

"So I went to your room to spray your perfume on my handkerchief, another silly trick to make me feel like you were here. And as I was leaving your room, Mary caught me. I’m not sure what she was looking after since you’re not here; but she saw me, shrieked, and a guard came running in to see what was wrong. He had his staff gripped, and his eyes flashed threateningly. I was nearly attacked. All because I missed your smell." - Maxon

2 comments:

  1. I loved how Celeste's character evolved in this book, and how we see more into her life. I was so shocked by the ending, and very upset (I still am haha), but it was a good ending. I love the quote when Maxon says the 'just to be clear...' thing, and America's reply. That actually made me laugh out loud when I read it. Great review hun x

    ablondelibrarian.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud at that quote too, they were preparing for something serious so it caught me off guard but it was definitely funny.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)