Sunday, May 11

Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian - Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn #2)


Lillia, Kat, and Mary had the perfect plan. Work together in secret to take down the people who wronged them. But things didn’t exactly go the way they’d hoped at the Homecoming Dance.
Not even close.
For now, it looks like they got away with it. All they have to do is move on and pick up the pieces, forget there ever was a pact. But it’s not easy, not when Reeve is still a total jerk and Rennie’s meaner than she ever was before.
And then there’s sweet little Mary…she knows there’s something seriously wrong with her. If she can’t control her anger, she’s sure that someone will get hurt even worse than Reeve was. Mary understands now that it’s not just that Reeve bullied her—it’s that he made her love him.
Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, burn for a burn. A broken heart for a broken heart. The girls are up to the task. They’ll make Reeve fall in love with Lillia and then they will crush him. It’s the only way he’ll learn.
It seems once a fire is lit, the only thing you can do is let it burn...

This book caught me off guard I thought it will be very similar to the first one but I couldn't be more wrong! Of course it followed the same route but it contained so much more, for starters it had a strong romance plot unlike in Burn for Burn there were actual feelings and now I have a new favorite couple. There were so many shocking things in this one I couldn't count them, we discovered a lot of things about the characters and even those who remained untouched in the first one were introduced to us properly. 


The story picks up where the first one ended. After Homecoming the three girls think they got away with what they did, they try to lay low but Mary gets unwell so they make up a new plan, Lillia will make Reeve fall deeply in love with her so when she’ll break things off he’ll be just as miserable as Mary once was. Neither one of them thought that Lillia could develop feelings for him but it happened and soon she has to figure out a way to keep her feelings locked for Mary’s sake.

This story was perfectly organized and well-built, again the two authors did an amazing job: if I wouldn’t know, I couldn’t tell this was written by two people. The three girls kept their own personalities and didn’t get mixed together. 
The biggest part of the story was the relationship between Lillia and Reeve nearly everything could have been traced back to this plotline but of course there were more to this book. We could see into Kat’s life a little bit better and learn how she felt after her mother’s death while getting a better view into her long lost friendship with Rennie. Kat didn’t want anything more than to leave the island and go off to college but first she had to get accepted which maybe won’t be as easy as she thought. Nothing went good for Mary either, her aunt got crazier than ever telling ambiguous warnings to Mary whose love for Reeve became a bit weaker while her want for revenge got stronger. 

The main love story was the “fake” relationship between Reeve and Lillia and I have to tell you in the beginning I felt sorry for Mary because she had to witness how these two get close to each other but after a time it got harder and harder to accept her crazy affection. Back to the romance, it was slowly built up because Lillia hated Reeve but after a time she started to see him in an entire new way. So many unknown things got out in Fire with Fire that by the end Reeve is one of my favorite characters while in the first book he was my most hated one. 
The other couple that could be mentioned is Kat and Alex, if you think they were annoying in Burn for Burn you'll pull your hair out by the end of the second novel. They definitely liked each other but they drifted even farther apart they had a few good scenes together, though. 


In this book all my bad feelings about the paranormal part of the first one disappeared while the start of this trilogy was entertaining but very predictable this book was full of surprises and feelings, it wasn't lack of anything. 
Mary knows that something is very wrong with her, when she gets angry things start to happen she doesn't want anyone hurt so she tries to control her powers more or less successfully. Worst of all her aunt went insane but even if in her crazed state she knows something about Mary, something she doesn't want to tell no matter what. Mary is alone as she fights her demons and tries to come to a conclusion which will not just surprise her but the readers also and I don't think this twist can be guessed

Lillia: Since her first appearance in Burn for Burn she changed a lot, she became an amazing friend and she treated Alex with respect unlike in the beginning when she made him do everything for her. As she fell for Reeve her first thought was Mary, she would have done anything to save her friend from another heartbreak. All in all she had an amazing personality and even if Rennie was her best friend for God knows how long she put her in her place (or at least tried to) when it was necessary. She rarely complained, she did what she had to without dropping her obligations. 
"I’ve fallen for the one person I shouldn’t have. For the boy who broke Mary’s heart. For Rennie’s one true love. For Alex’s best friend.It has to end here. Now."
Kat: She's such a great person and I can't believe she had just a few friends before, I hope in the third book she'll be happier than anyone else, even if I think she deserves so much better than that sorry ass Alex I'm still rooting for them because Kat really-really likes him even if she won't admit it to anyone, not even to herself. The best thing about her is how she tries to understand others, she got Alex's situations even if they were nothing alike at first sight and when Lillia needed her in the end she was there and supported her even if she agreed with her. All in all she's one the most wonderful characters in this book. 
It still feels weird to spend money on Christmas trees. Back when Mom was alive, we’d go out “tree hunting.” That’s what she called it, anyway. I think other people might use the word “trespassing.”
Mary: She became more and more aggressive and I couldn't like nor accept her. It was obvious how she wanted everyone to feel sorry for her and I can completely get her desire for revenge but didn't she realize she's sinking lower than Reeve with her whole plan? If she was such a sweetheart while didn't she see how her actions made her the evil one. I hated that she didn't try hard enough to confront her aunt for the truth of her powers, so many times she was a coward and the other times she was too wicked for me. 
I’m clenching my fists so tight my fingernails leave red crescent moons on my skin. I feel a surge, a heat roar up inside me. As bad as I’m hurting now, he’ll hurt ten times worse. That’s the only thing that keeps me going.
Reeve: When the book started I hated him more than nearly any other fictional character but when things came out about him even if I knew he did all those horrible things I still liked him. I felt really sorry for him a lot of times through the book and by then end all the things that were discovered made him someone completely acceptable for me. 
Reeve shakes his head and exhales loudly. “That’s not what I’m saying and you know it!” He looks away. “Can you just . . . can you go get dressed and come with me and we’ll talk about it later? My mom’s expecting you.”
Alex: He was simply weak in this book, I don't get why the hell can't he move on Lillia when there's Kat and they would be a cute couple beside the differences between them they fit much better than Lillia and Alex. He wanted to go to a university where he can make music but he couldn't stand up to his parents and tell them his desire of becoming a musician Partly this was because he was afraid of failure but even if he would fuck up everything he's still have parents who'll support him with as much money as he needs, unlike Kat he's in a lucky position but too much of a coward to use his chances. 

Rennie: I couldn't hate her because it was obvious that she believed everyone's trying to hurt her. There was a part when she shoved all the guilt to Lillia and it was pathetic how she believed every single word of her lies. Her crazy love for Reeve made her look really pathetic, everything she did was petty and wicked but she couldn't see this and I feel sorry for her because of it. 


"Reevie . . . I feel wasted.” Her head sways from side to side, her hair hanging in her face. “Will you please take me home?”

I peer at her. She’s had, like, two beers. I’ve seen her finish a six-pack in under an hour and not get tipsy.

All considered Fire with Fire was exciting, shocking and sweet, I loved every minute of reading it. All the different parts of the story connected perfectly thereby building up a strong plot. 

Favorite Characters: Lillia, Reeve, Kat
Least Favorite: Rennie, Mary, Alex


I'd recommend this book to those who liked the first one, it can't be read as a stand-alone. 

My heart broke at this scene: 
"The words come out of my mouth, but they don’t sound like me. I don’t sound like me. Probably because I know it’s all lies.But I can see that they’re lies that Reeve believes. He swallows them whole. His eyes go blank. Empty. He completely shuts down."

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5 
The characters: 4/5
The cover: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)