Wednesday, April 2

Holly Black - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

“Every hero is the villain of his own story.” 
“Isn't every hero aware of all the terrible reason they did those good deeds? Aware of every mistake they ever made and how good people got hurt because of their decisions? Don't they recall the moments they weren't heroic at all? The moments where their heroism led to more deaths than deliberate villainy ever could?”  


Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.





Review:
I had mixed feelings about this book, firstly it is a vampire romance and since Twilight we saw loads of them, but Holly Black made the whole vampire cult into something different from the usual. In this book the vampires are called infected (which always made me think about zombies), if they bite someone that person will eventually get the infection which will first make him/her cold then if he or she drinks human blood they will become fully vampires with all the extras. Through the whole book I felt like, Holly Black'd collected all kinds of vampire and zombie stories and then mixed them together: voila The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. 
If we don't count the vampire cliche this book was amazing, it had it's twists and turns, so it wasn't boring and even if some things were a little bit too much I could still enjoy the whole story together and I saw how all those things added something to the story. 
I liked these kind of vampires they were mostly like humans, they could be good or bad, they could choose their paths in their lives. They are beautiful, attractive so of course they tempt people since the beginning. People who have bad life and can't reach the highness they'd like would do anything to become vampires, mostly they go to coldtowns which are nearly in every big city, there are vampires in it and fans of them. From the outside it seems like living in a coldtown is just about partying all day and night, but Tana and her friends will realise the truth sooner then later, that nothing is what it seems in tv and vampires even if they are all dressed up for their shows can be crueler than anyone. 

“Even from the beginning, that was the problem. People liked pretty things. People even liked pretty things that wanted to kill and eat them.” 

I liked that the love story didn't take away from the book it was there and you could see it develop, but you never felt like it was dominating the story. 

One of my problems is that there were a few completely unnecessary parts throughout the book when I was reading those I felt like: just move on already to a part where something will actually happen. Sometimes the time in the book didn't go well it was too slow or too fast, for example when Tana rescued themselves from the house she woke up when the sun was up, but when they finally could escape the sun was already going down. Even if she got up at like 2 PM she would have 4 hours minimum to get everything ready before sunset, I could totally believe anything in a book if it is well-written, but in this case Tana did a few things and then bamm it was sunset.

The story had all kinds of feelings; there were sad and happy and funny and all kinds of parts and I was sucked into Tana's life and was so excited to find out all the little secrets and lies beneath the surface. 

The Characters:
Tana: 
Firstly she wasn't anything special, I didn't know what to think about her, saving the two guys from the house didn't make me like her more, mostly it was just annoying how slowly she did it.. After a time I started to care about her, I could still see her stupid decisions and lame excuses but in my eyes these things made her humanlike. I mean she woke up in a house full of corpses of the people who she knew all her life and then had to run away with a vampire and a cold boy, who was her ex-boyfriend so of course she didn't always made the right decision I see that going to coldtown was a stupid thing, but hey she just wanted to protect other people and her family, she was kind-hearted and could surprise an old vampire. All in all she was quite a normal character, someone ordinary in a nightmarish world. 

Aidan: 
I couldn't like him, he was selfish and stupid and arrogant, I never got why Tana ever liked him in the first place. It was all his fault how they ended up with Midnight's crew, Tana wanted to get away from them, but that stupid asshole insisted on going with them. Who the hell wants to spend time with vampire lover bloggers I don't know, but he must be crazy. When they described their past relationship I felt like punching him, but I guess two had to play that game so Tana was just as faulty as Aidan. 

Gavriel: 
He was my favorite character throughout the book, he is not an actual hero type, I can't recall anything heroic he ever did in the book, but he was really likeable if not relatable. He was such a colorful character and it was seeable how he started to care about Tana. My favorite part was when he told Tana why he came with them on that evening back in the beginning. He always thought crazily which made me love him even more, he lived in his mad world but he saw things clearer than most. 

“There is nothing for her beyond those gates," Gavriel said. "Do you think to bring her along like a talisman to remind you of your humanity? Or do you think sharing your damnation will lighten the burden of it?”   

“Being infected, being a vampire, it’ s always you. Maybe it’ s more you than ever before. It’ s you as you always were, deep down inside.” 

“But there's nothing you like better than when it hurts a little, is there?" Lucien asked.Gavriel's bloody mouth lifted in a voluptuous smile.
 "Sure there is. I like it when it hurts a lot.” 

“Gavriel closed his eyes, sooty lashes brushing his cheek. "I'll stay with you."
"What? No," she said automatically. "No! That's crazy."
"I'm crazy," he reminded her.” 

I love Tana and Gavriel together they are soo cute, I could never guessed in the beginning that this would be like that, that I'm gonna love these characters a lot. There are more I know, but they didn't make a big impression on me... there Midnight and Winter but they never surprised me I knew all along how crazy they were. About the others... there was Valentina and Jamison I think I could love them if we would saw more of them and could got to know them better, but they were really little characters, so that's it.

Considering everything I love this story even if there were definitely cliches in it and the characters weren't always likable. 

Favorite characters: Gavriel and Tana 
Least favorite characters: Aidan, Midnight

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 4/5
The cover: 3/5

All in all: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)