Sunday, April 13

Danielle Paige - Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)


I didn’t ask for any of this. I didn’t ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go all along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm and I’m the other girl from Kansas.
I’ve been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I’ve been trained to fight.
And I have a mission.
Remove the Tin Woodman’s heart.
Steal the Scarecrow’s brain.
Take the Lion’s courage.
Then and only then - Dorothy must die!


“Wickedness is part of Oz. It’s part of the order of things. It’s always been the Good versus the Wicked. Magic can’t exist without Goodness. Goodness can’t exist without Wickedness. And Oz can’t exist without magic.”

This book blew my mind. It was so amazingly written and so different from the usual fantasies that I fell in love with it at the very beginning. All the little details were told so we can see a complete picture of this new Oz, and believe me when I say: You do not want to go there. There were actually more bloody parts than what I expected but these just made the story so much more real.
This book is the main brick of the next two in this trilogy this is why it was a little bit slow at some parts. Don’t misunderstand me, the story wasn’t boring, not at all, there were parts with full of action, but mostly this book introduced us to the world of Oz and to the characters.  The author slowly broadened the picture and didn’t just say random information all the time she built it up logically so we never got confused.


Amy is a bullied girl from Kansas who is called “trash” by everyone; even the teachers don’t listen to her side of the story. Her mother is an alcoholic and drug user who couldn’t care less about her daughter so Amy had to grow up fast to survive. This day is worse than ever, Amy gets expelled because of the meanest bully in school just to go home and find her mother leaving the house right after hearing the news about a tornado. At first Amy doesn’t think much of the news, but when a storm comes like she’s never seen before she gets really scared and wishes more than anything her mother will come home. This never happens but the tornado lifts up their trailer and flies Amy to Oz where everyone’s happy, except… Oz completely changed, there are blackened parts everywhere and the people are enslaved by Dorothy who became the meanest witch ever.
Soon Amy has to find out who she can trust because in this place? The words wicked and good don’t have a meaning anymore.
“I didn’t know what was Good or Wicked anymore. All I knew was what was right.”
I liked that the author in a few pages showed us Amy’s life, made us feel sympathy for her and not just shoved her hard past into our faces and then wrote down how we should feel. This was refreshing; a lot of authors can’t do this, congratulations to Danielle Paige because even if it doesn’t seem like it, this is her first novel.
The author succeeded in showing us a completely new world while building up the story and introducing the characters. Just like Amy we didn’t know who to trust either and we kept guessing who could the good guys be or if they even exist.


It was a very little thing, I was waiting for more to come but in the end I didn’t get what I wanted. I’m really looking for some more Nox + Amy in the second book if it won’t come I’m going to freak out.
Even if it was too little for me I can see that this story didn’t need more, it was perfect the way it was.
It wasn’t a love at first sight thing but it’s true that we couldn’t quite see it develop, anyway I loved these two together and I want more, like right now.

Amy: She was one of the most amazing characters I’ve ever read about. She got it so bad but she never really complained, and even if lots of people would hate her mother she couldn’t. She was a little bit too good, if you ask me, she kept saving people than not bothering when they let her down because she always wanted others to survive even if it meant they had to leave her in deep shit.
At first she didn’t believe in herself, all those jerks hurting her and her mother never saying a good word to her… but then she started to train and get used to Oz and slowly got back her confidence.

Nox: First I didn’t like him but as he showed other parts of him and we got to know his background I couldn’t stop myself warming up to him. Sometimes he was a complete jerk but he could make up for it, and I couldn’t be mad at him for acting as he did because he was never loved as he should have been.

Gert: She was quite likable I guess in other conditions Amy would have loved her but when she got to Oz she became extremely suspicious of everyone. I didn’t trust in her either just after it was too late. She was so amazing she was that character who typically showed us that good and wicked aren’t always that far from each other… and maybe you can be both.
“Sometimes only pain can heal” 
Glamora and Mombi: As we got to know her I started to like Glamore, of course she wasn’t perfect but she suffered in the past and now she is fighting for Oz’s freedom.
“You say Wicked like it’s a good thing,” I said.“You’re getting the hang of it.” Glamora’s voice was glittering mischievously. “Down is up, up is down. Good is Wicked, Wicked is Good. The times are changing. This is what Oz has come to.”
About Mombi I think she is typically that kind of person who isn't completely evil but most of the time she puts herself in front of others. 

What I liked the most was how these three witches who were completely different, even enemies in the past could work together as they did. They didn't just worked together, they cared about each other and as I see they loved each other. 

Dorothy: People say everything bad in Oz can be thanked to her. She ruined Oz, she enslaved people and hurt them if they made a mistake. She didn’t care about others’ feelings she always did what was good for her and just her. All considered she was a complete bitch.
Her character was well-made though we could see how power can change someone’s personality completely. It was so bad what she did with all those people, for example the monkeys, the worst is most of them wouldn’t stand up to her because they are too afraid.

Pete: I was so surprised at the end, throughout the book I knew all along that he was lying but damn this thing… I never would have guessed it. I actually thought that he will be Amy’s love interest and this will be another dumb love triangle, but thank god this wasn’t the case here.

The three most horrible characters were the Lion, the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman. These three all got what they wanted in the past and those things made their personalities go terribly wrong. They were quite scary… the Lion’s “eating”, the Scarecrow’s experiments and the Tin Woodman’s army. I hated all three and I wish Amy will kick some ass in the next book.

Of course there are a lot of other characters for example the Wizard but I couldn’t quite make an opinion abut them, they had such little parts.


Favorite character: Amy, Nox, Gert, Glamora, Pete
Least favorite character: Lion, Tin Woodman, Scarecrow, Dorothy, Glinda

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 4/5


I’d recommend this book to those who’d like to read something different from the usual fantasy stuff, and aren’t afraid from a little blood. 

What was your favorite part and your least favorite? Did you enjoyed the romance? Who was you favorite or least favorite character? Tell me in the comments. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)