Saturday, March 15

Kiera Cass - The Elite (The Selection #2)


Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


“He must love you very much,' Gavril said once I had my footing.
I couldn't look at him. 
'What makes you say that?' Gavril sighed. 
'I've known Maxon since he was a child. He's never stood up to his father like that.” 




Review: First of all I absolutely adore this series. When I read The Selection I loved it because the story was something new (even if some of the names are pretty lame). Do you know what bothers me? If the king's and queen's child is a boy they throw a big Selection for him to find the girl for his taste but if it's a girl she has to marry a son of another kingdom... this.is.terrible. Princesses should have a Selection too, just imagine 35 guys all for you. Okay now I'm getting to the point.

In the second book the story of The Selection continues with the 6 girls who Maxon (cough cough, or more like his father) chose to be the Elite.
There's Marlee, she's a sweetheart, a true friend, so of course everyone love her and she has a lot of supporters.
Elise who has relations in Asia which can be good for the kingdom but she agrees with everything Maxon says and she doesn't have an opinion.
Celeste who is hated by everyone who get to know her closer, but she has an excellent family
Kriss who's a real lady and who grows closer to Maxon after a while, this, of course, makes America envious.
Natalie who's very pliable so she is the King's favorite, she is friendly and quiet.
And of course there's America who isn't afraid to speak her mind and this is why Maxon loves her.

The story was still good, like in the first book, just a little bit predictable at some parts. Most of the characters are awesome, I happened to like Kriss and even Elise for a little but I absolutely can't stand Aspen most of the time. He was like a lovesick puppy. After the Marlee incident a normal people wouldn't do the same thing... the worst is they didn't do it before so why start it after, when it get more dangerous? Yeah Maxon makes mistakes too, as well as America, still I love these two together.
After what happens with Marlee America pushes Maxon away even if he wants to talk things out (he should have made America listen to him, you have to fight for what you want), so Maxon grew closer to Kriss because she has a sweet side too. I didn't like that this made America jealous... I mean she made this happen so she has to live with it. What we learned about the King was a shock to me... I don't get how the queen didn't saw this.

Parts I liked the most:
- when Maxon made sure about Marlee's life
- that Maxon trusted in America so much
- the Halloween party and the families
- when the girls had to organize the parties
- the Italians and the help they offered to America
- when the rebel girl saw America and bowed to her (I'm curious)
- when Maxon and America were locked up together, so they could talk things out.


Parts I hated the most:
- ASPEN
- Celeste
- What happened with Marlee
- the King's cruelty
- that America ruined everything for herself
- how the King told Natalie about the death of her sister
- how America lost Maxon's trust

“America, there’s no question that you’ve had my heart from the beginning. By now you have to know that” - Hope that it will stay like that in the third book. They MUST BE TOGETHER!


The story idea: 4/5
The realisation of the story: 4/5
The characters: 4/5
The cover: 5/5
All in all: 4,25/5

My favourite character(s): Marlee and Maxon(most of the time)
My least favourite character(s): Celeste, Aspen and the King

2 comments:

  1. I loved these books too. Thank you for commenting on my discussion post for this series. I have replied over there :) I didn;t hate Aspen, I just felt really sorry for him, and did kind of want him to go away because I was Team Maxon from the start.

    I hated what happened to Marlee in this book, and I also really didn't like the Maxon/Kriss thing.

    ablondelibrarian.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't even feel sorry for him, I thought reading The Guard will make me like him but it didn't do anything good at all. I think you said in your post that you haven't read it yet? Sorry if I got it wrong.

      I think Maxon finding comfort in Kriss was normal because America wouldn't talk to him for a completely stupid reason but I still don't like Kriss. I think America had no reason to act like a jealous girlfriend afterwards, she knew that one way or another Maxon will have to choose someone plus she was with Aspen so she had no reason to judge.
      Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)